Anyone know what brand exhaust this is? Baffled... - VTXOA
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know what brand exhaust this is? Baffled...

Hi there. I am posting a pic of my exhaust and I am hoping someone can tell if it is stock or if they can tell what brand? I purchased Ruby which is a 2004 1800s S2. As far as I can tell, she is stock minus the Mustang seat. The guy I bought it from said he pulled the baffles out and no longer had them. I have read that isnt a good thing to do as the engine likes the back pressure. I also would rather it not sound like it does. Hoping to find baffles somewhere on the good 'ol WWW and put them back in. Anyway, up for ideas on brand and or where I can get a couple baffles to re-install. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust 1.jpg (307.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust 2.jpg (361.8 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Well, they are not stock pipes. Maybe Sampson, maybe Hard Krome maybe some other brand but not stock

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
Those are the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights. You have a couple of choices: the stock baffles or the SmartPartz Quiet Core baffles. The SP baffles are supposed to be installed while leaving the stock baffles in, so I don't know how well they'll work/sound without the stock baffles in.

Also, call Phat Performance Parts first to be sure they actually have them in stock before your order. Some people have complained about ordering from them and then getting notified weeks later that the parts weren't in stock.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...AFFLES&CartID=

http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK300SP.html
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 PM

Garage
HK 3" Big Straights. I had those on my bike for a while. Looked great but stuck out too far, you can scrape easy entering or exiting a steep grade driveway and be careful backing/parking into curb- that's why the tips are replaceable. They had too much snap in the sound for me, and probably have a lot of decal pop without baffles. Good Luck with your search.
rangers4u likes this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM

As mentioned they are HK 3" Long Straights. As far as I know, you can still get the Smartz 4-1/2" baffles from J & P Cycles. I added them to mine to tone it down a bit and give a little back pressure. The HK end caps only have the 1 fastener to hold them in place. The end caps are also maybe $75-$80 EA. -if- you can find them. I drilled 2 smaller bolt holes and used acorn nuts on the bolts to really secure them in place. What is your location? I found a great steal of a deal on a brand new set of HK 3" a couple years ago, and I have a set of perfectly good functional HK 3" pipes with caps, although they are somewhat blemished with nicks from backing into curbs, scratches and minor abrasions. I have them already boxed up for shipping. All I am asking is YOU pay the shipping and maybe $20 for my time and effort. Depending what part of the country it might cost you $100. Better than $800 for a brand new set if you can find them. PM me here for information.
MR VTX, DrDolittle and 10Ring like this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxl1000 View Post
HK 3" Big Straights. I had those on my bike for a while. Looked great but stuck out too far, you can scrape easy entering or exiting a steep grade driveway and be careful backing/parking into curb- that's why the tips are replaceable. They had too much snap in the sound for me, and probably have a lot of decal pop without baffles. Good Luck with your search.

Yes, they do have a lot of decal pop which I do not like. I like the sound of them if it werent for that. I assume (big assumption) that the baffles would ride that or at very least, tone that down a ton? Am I correct that the backpressure loss amount from the baffle removal doesnt hurt the motor, yet does it no favors either?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
I did not see your latest post Prtmkr. Less torque on bottom end without back pressure.
I have random decell pops, but contained. Above 3500 feet I have a popcorn popper.
Take a look at Prockery's thread. Looks like a simple project.

Prockey did a sink strainer and a cross to hold a washer in place. He did not drill any holes as far as I know.
DIY is a good thing. Two reducers with small ends welded or one with a smaller small end to overlay and attach your
baffle. You could use multiple sink strainers.

My HK has numbers by the mounting tab/boss.

One bolt held the original baffle in.

I posted on Gearbanger's thread earlier today. I am Baffled!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prockey HK baffles.jpg (345.8 KB, 6 views)
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 08-13-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Old Goat

I had something similar on my CL77 back in the day.....man did I love that bike.....good luck on your choice
Shown for example/idea....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F371595635115
MR VTX likes this.

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 08-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

So I called Double D Hard Krome today and bought a set of stock baffles for them. They just asked for part number which I gave them and asked if I wanted quiet ones or stock ones. They were 39 bucks each plus shipping. They do sell the infamous tips also that get banged up and they said those were also 39 each plus shipping. A big thanks to you guys for identifying my exhaust so I knew where to look for replacements. Thanks again to ranger for trying to get the best cost on getting me replacements. You guy are alright 😊 Mucho thanks
MR VTX and rangers4u like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:58 AM

Wow. $39 on the tips is a lot better than they sold them to me for $75 ea. Must be clearance-ing them out! Get 'em while they're HOT!
MR VTX likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page