Can't Get The Air Out? - VTXOA
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Can't Get The Air Out?

Short story - New Clutch Master Cylinder and I can't get the air to bleed out.

Long story - I replaced the Clutch and the fluid using a new speed bleeder a couple of months ago. Everything worked great. Then the Clutch Master Cylinder started leaking a few weeks ago. That's what I get for thoroughly cleaning. Must of cleaned out the mud that was plugging a bad seal or something.

I replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder with an OEM* today. But now I can't seem to get the air out of the line. First, using the speed bleeder, than using the conventional method but still with the speed bleeder. The clutch is still obviously too mushy to be disengaging the clutch. Pretty much no resistance through the whole procedure for an hour while using half a can of fluid.

Assuming I did everything right, what can I look into, what can I do? I do have a pump bleeder but didn't want to dig it out... and I shouldn't HAVE to, you know?

Thanks for all thoughts and help on this matter.

*Why didn't I rebuild it, you ask? Because it's an original 2003 part and looked every bit of it.

"It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to." - icopus
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Ooooh. After some searching, it would appear others have also had to deal with this issue.

Soooo, air at the banjo bolt, eh??????
Harkon likes this.

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icopus View Post
Ooooh. After some searching, it would appear others have also had to deal with this issue.

Soooo, air at the banjo bolt, eh??????
Likely.
icopus likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh, boy, is there a better method than the video I saw in another post?!? Maybe an insider tip, trick of the trade, something better than holding your finger at the banjo bolt mounting hole?!? Sheesh, I don't want to do that. Made me cringe.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:25 AM

Garage
leave bolt in & just loosen...Wrap a cloth around the bolt.
icopus likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Old Goat

Quote:
Oh, boy, is there a better method than the video I saw in another post?!? Maybe an insider tip, trick of the trade, something better than holding your finger at the banjo bolt mounting hole?!? Sheesh, I don't want to do that. Made me cringe.
U need to renew/validate your man-card...

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 08-25-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
U need to renew/validate your man-card...
Oh, it's not that I mind doing it. It's the resulting uncontrolled brake fluid spray that makes me cringe. Oh, the carnage that could result!

But I saw another video that had the banjo wrapped in towels as Blaine C says. I may not have to completely remove the banjo after all. I'll try this first.

But I'm still scared I'll spray brake fluid somewhere. I tend to be ... uh ... messy.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Case closed. Still a little loose at the outward end of travel, but it's much stiffer now and it shifts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, it's not that I mind doing it. It's the resulting uncontrolled brake fluid spray that makes me cringe. Oh, the carnage that could result!

But I saw another video that had the banjo wrapped in towels as Blaine C says. I may not have to completely remove the banjo after all. I'll try this first.

But I'm still scared I'll spray brake fluid somewhere. I tend to be ... uh ... messy.

I know what you mean. Cut open some large garbage bags and use it to mask off the area around the banjo fitting. I cover the whole front of the bike. If you are careful, you can pull the bags off of the front of the bike without contacting brake fluid and paint. Then give the whole bike a nice wash to make sure.
icopus likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
I know what you mean. Cut open some large garbage bags and use it to mask off the area around the banjo fitting. I cover the whole front of the bike. If you are careful, you can pull the bags off of the front of the bike without contacting brake fluid and paint. Then give the whole bike a nice wash to make sure.
A while back, I got a bundle of baby blankets at a really good price. I've been using them to protect the bike, garage floor, etc. I spread them over everything, then wrapped shop rags around the clutch line, handlebar, etc.
I then got a direct spray to my forearm. But the bike was spared.
Thanks for the advise!
Harkon, Curt E and DrDolittle like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page