Head lamp options - Page 2 - VTXOA
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
I ended up getting this at Walmart for $25. Any thoughts? This is going to be my first headlamp installation so I'll check back once I get time this week to install it.
Great lamp, but wash hands really good and don't touch the glass on the lamp. Your grease will fry on the glass causing the lamp to burn out very rapidly

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
I ended up getting this at Walmart for $25. Any thoughts? This is going to be my first headlamp installation so I'll check back once I get time this week to install it.

That's what I used in all my car's for the longest time. Follow the recommendations, no touchy!

2005 - VTX 1800F - Silver
2008 - Shadow Aero 750
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM

Garage
If you touch the halogen bulb, apply rubbing alcohol to a paper towel and wipe it thoroughly. that's it!
Blaine C likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
Prkuehn, looks like in your picture of the headlight, the LED headlight is smaller than the housing. Is that the case or am I just looking at it wrong. I know that is probably not the case cause the LED headlight would be bouncing all over the place. Could you please tell us where you bought the LED headlight and any part numbers. Does the LED headlight really light up the road and what if any problems you had when you changed to LED? Thanks

I got the adjustable bracket from VTXDAYMAKER.COM ($60) and bought a headlight off of EBay ($45). I painted the ring to match the bike so it is dark blue. The Led headlight does a great job since it uses a projector lens to focus the light. I previously had a HID light and then LED H4 before the daymaker. The HID and regular LED produce a lot of light, but without the ability to focus it, it is less usable light than having a halogen bulb. The stock bucket was designed for a halogen bulb. The installation was easy and VTXDAYMAKER will send you step by step instructions. Once it is installed, you need to aim the headlight and enjoy riding at night again because you can see without blinding everyone else on the road.
Ex-Rocket likes this.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to make sure to have 20 chicken wings and two pints of beer before I install it. I hear it's great to install these lamps right after a greasy chicken wing dinner😉😂
Bubba316 and ecornwell like this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I'm going to make sure to have 20 chicken wings and two pints of beer before I install it. I hear it's great to install these lamps right after a greasy chicken wing dinner😉😂

That is the 2nd best option. The absolute best way to change a halogen headlight is immediately after a full rack of wet sloppy ribs. A little KC style sauce smeared on the bulb will tone down the color and tells the wild critters that you are at the top of the food chain.
Bubba316 and DrDolittle like this.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:06 PM

The VTX Daymaker all the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181110_165706_1568156338319.jpg (339.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20181110_164623_1568156458053.jpg (237.1 KB, 7 views)
rangers4u likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Simple LED H4 lamps just don't throw light. Yes, it looks brighter, but it doesn't PROJECT the light forwards and down. LED needs to have a lens to gather and focus the light beam for it to be useful. The OEM headlight reflector just doesn't focus enough to make LED lamps work. I've tried them in both my headlight and driving lights and they sucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prkuehn View Post
If you are just changing the bulb, I would concur and say stay with a halogen bulb that matches the headlight bucket. If you are up for a change, then VTXDAYMAKER and a LED headlight will impress you.

Between that and the led light bar, I have by far the best lighting I have ever had on the front of my bike.
Just for the record... YMMV

I, too, have tried an h4 LED bulb in my stock headlight/reflector and found it substantially different (see, I didn't say better, but it sure was) than the stock light.
I, too, have tried (and currently have installed) the exact same VTXDAYMAKER that prkuehn has. Two things to know about my experience - 1. The mounting bracket didn't fit in the bucket without mods/work. 2. The beam from this does not spread out. It's blazing bright head on, but my experience is that it does not spread out or project forward and down like our resident "Pro" suggests. It's just bright head on. Just my experience - YMMV.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:37 AM

I too have a Daymaker LED lamp and I am happy with it and I didn't have to make any modifications to make it for on my 2006 VTX1800C, but I did find that the instructions should have been given to a neophyte to see if it covered everything as I had to go back and forth by email with the company as I didn't understand all of the instructions. Now I also have a 2002 Honda ST1100 to which I replaced the halogen bulbs with LED ones from eBay cheap, and I can really see the road well at the night, but I wonder if I'm blinding opposing traffic.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sring115 View Post
Just for the record... YMMV

I, too, have tried an h4 LED bulb in my stock headlight/reflector and found it substantially different (see, I didn't say better, but it sure was) than the stock light.
I, too, have tried (and currently have installed) the exact same VTXDAYMAKER that prkuehn has. Two things to know about my experience - 1. The mounting bracket didn't fit in the bucket without mods/work. 2. The beam from this does not spread out. It's blazing bright head on, but my experience is that it does not spread out or project forward and down like our resident "Pro" suggests. It's just bright head on. Just my experience - YMMV.

I purchased my VTXDaymaker last winter and had to sand down the supplied adjustable ring quite a bit to make it fit. Others have modified the chrome bezel. Myself and another customer had a few messages back and forth with the maker and he says the issue has been fixed. Either way, I found the ring was pretty beefy and it isnít at all compromised by my sanding it down.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page