Don’t need more power just less POP! - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Don’t need more power just less POP!

2005 VTX1800F3 non California. OEM filter Loud Cobra full exhaust but does have a lil baffling.

Aight, I have the exhaust pop upon decel. Just replaced the crush gaskets, put the washer under the acorn nuts, they are properly torqued. All exhaust is tight and sealed. The PAIR system removed and sealed off. I don’t blip the throttle prior to down shifting.

Though the popping is faaaar better than before; it still does it.

Pretty much have came down to the fact I need a Power Commander of sorts.

So what I am interested in, is there something else out there other than the $450 Power Commander that, though I may not be able to use it to get the absolute most performance out of my bike, that would be fine....I just need something to squash that popping????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember1800F3 View Post
2005 VTX1800F3 non California. OEM filter Loud Cobra full exhaust but does have a lil baffling.

Aight, I have the exhaust pop upon decel. Just replaced the crush gaskets, put the washer under the acorn nuts, they are properly torqued. All exhaust is tight and sealed. The PAIR system removed and sealed off. I donít blip the throttle prior to down shifting.

Though the popping is faaaar better than before; it still does it.

Pretty much have came down to the fact I need a Power Commander of sorts.

So what I am interested in, is there something else out there other than the $450 Power Commander that, though I may not be able to use it to get the absolute most performance out of my bike, that would be fine....I just need something to squash that popping????

I find if I roll off the throttle a little slower I get a little less popping. Never the less she well give the most bodacious back fires which are toned down somewhat with baffles, but running un-baffled she's a cannon if you happen to riding behind her and chop the throttle after hard acelleration!
(2002 VTX1800R - vtx exhaust mod, no power commander, 133,00O km, still running fine, you got love the big fat lady!!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 AM

Garage
Never use acorn nuts with aftermarket exhaust... they run out of threads before a proper set is made on the gaskets..

or use steel washers ( 2 ) under the acorn nuts...

popping is from air leaks at the head pipes.
rangers4u and pushrod like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 88,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:55 AM

Did you adjust the exhaust studs so they were proper height also I would get rid of the acorn nuts. I use stainless long nuts so I can always get the right torque sounds like you are sucking air. One other thing its really hard to get rid of the pop or braaaah sound when there isn't any back pressure at all.

2006 VTX1800 Supercharged
2014 Valkyrie ABS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTl...2&index=1&t=0s
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM

I have open exhaust, PCIII, desmog. Not tuned, but I use the accelerator function and changed a few (not many) settings. Had decel popping before, but noting after the PCIII install. Never.
BTW, I removed the exhaust (header pipes) many times and most of the times didn't install new gaskets and have chrome acorn nuts with one stainless washer on each stud. (Header pipes are OEM, but the chrome acorn nuts are different from OEM.

VTX 1800/280
You can say anything stupid. It's the internet. No real consequences for YOU.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:47 PM

I had a similar issue and noted that a very thorough ground fix helps ... a lot. I had V&H BigShots on my 1800 and never used washers or anything but the acorn nuts that were on there. I always used new gaskets though. I had done the ground fix on my bike, but gave it very thorough cleaning and grounding. Solved the problem for me.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:26 PM

What are you running for gas Hi-test or Regular as said many times here runs better lower octane.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:36 PM

When my PCIII was hooked up, I had zero popping - ever. As soon as I removed it I started getting some popping, not a lot, but some on decel at low speeds - 45mph and lower, and some when simply holding a steady speed, or trying to hold a steady speed, while going down the street, again at low speed 45 and below. Without the PCIII, it's also not easy to hold a steady speed below 45mph. I get sputtering, coughing and popping. It's annoying. At speeds of 50mph and above there are no problems. I removed my PCIII because I was experiencing some other issues that was corrected only by removing the PCIII but I am thinking about putting it back on, and trouble shooting other things again.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm interesting on running lower octane, I was considering testing that for the economic aspect, will be nice to be able to run less than premium as my previous bike through a fit with lesser grades.

I will definitely look into the pc III. As the only popping I have left are exactly as described by pushrod!

Grounding issue....looks like I will be doing some reading to learn about that....

I will try the others before investing into a power commander first, cause well, if a free or almost free solution provides the remedy, well 😁😁😁.

Thank you to yall who read my post and responded with useful suggestions 👍👍👍😊! Especially, those of yall that gave me suggestions I didn’t already state I had done 😉🙃
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 PM

Garage
2nd generation has a different ECM than 1st gen. It does not seem to have the quirks that 1st gen had. It has an extra ground wire and probably mapping changes.

GROUND FIX - One ground cable not mentioned on 2nd gen is from starter motor bolt to a bracket on the downtubes near the bottom of the radiator. One owner had issues and cleaned both ends of the cable. It fixed his issue..My brother in law had his 05 F for 7 years. Starter switch clean and trim melted plastic[shunt carrier] and a battery were his only issues. On a ride to Texas and back (3100 miles) we did a stretch of 162 miles on I-20 before refueling... We compared fuel fills, within a few tenths the same as my 1300...

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,118 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-08-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page