2002 1800c Different valve clearances - VTXOA
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

2002 1800c Different valve clearances

I had done the valve adjustment over the last winter and in the spring I was having issues down low at very low throttle. Popping and surging mostly. I thought it was because I did some work installing the power commander 5 and autotune. I figure it was a tuning issue and just needed to get it sorted out. Then I checked the wiring from the sensors to the ecm all checked out. Today I broke down and took everything apart to check the valves. I guess I wasnít to observant the first time. One of the valves on the front cylinder was tighter then the other. One I couldnít fit the .004 in and the other I could easily fit the .006 found the same on the rear cylinder. The exhaust valve on the front was a little tight and the one on the rear was fine. Would these discrepancies cause issues like these. This time I took a time with extreme patience and made sure all were set right. I have put a ton of miles on the bike this year but I think the valve differences were my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
I believe I read where some shim the intake up while doing the other valve #1
Then you swap the shim to the one that was previously adjusted and adjust #2

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/eng...ment-vtx-1800/

I do not think the valves are your problem..

Is your idle too low??

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Nope idle is set right at 850-900. I have been all through this and havenít found any reasons for it. Everything in the intake and boots are sealed very well so I donít think itís a vacuum issue plus I canít find any vacuum leaks. If it were a sensor the fi light would throw a code and the the ohm testing of the wires would of showen any issues there. I even changed the throttle body thinking it was the tps. I would of thought if the valves had different clearances it was causing a slight timing issue in the valves at low rpm. Iíll keep digging tho

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thatís the write up I followed as well

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM

Garage
Did you look for any codes?? Put a short across the diagnostic connector pins(2 wires).
Bareasschoppers has the procedure.

Jim G. read some of his stuff. Maybe you can relate to it..

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1...but-s-job.html
Started by JimGnitecki [07-16-2013]

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1...-pc-v-map.html

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 193,834 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have and there isnít anything stored

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

OK so I got some carb clean and sprayed the boots that meet up with the heads and the motor instantly started to stall and buck. Iím gonna take it all apart again but Iíve been into those boots several times and made sure they were very sealed so I donít know whatís going on. I donít think it would be possible for both head gaskets to be bad and both to be sucking air and no other symptoms of bad head gasket so Iíll get back into the intake boots but Iím baffled

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I donít know if it was causing the issue but I took the new intake boots off and they slid right off the intake. I had a spare intake with the original boots still on it and it took some work to get them off so Iím wondering if the new ones are out of spec or something. When I put the old ones on my intake they snapped right on easy and were hard to pull off

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Garage
Throttle body insulator also has an o-ring inside.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...linder-head-rr
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...linder-head-fr

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Yea those were replaced with new as well. Looked like it was possibly sucking air from around the bolts on the flange but no real way to know for sure. Couldnít believe that the carb clean was getting through some how but every time I sprayed the boots where they met the head the bike would stutter hard and stall.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page