VTXOA

VTXOA (https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/)
-   VTX 1800 Tech Board (https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/)
-   -   Over reved it. :( (https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/465098-over-reved.html)

Badmunky 09-16-2019 09:17 PM

Over reved it. :(

So the other day I was banging some gears WOT and have no idea what I was thinking but after topping out 2nd gear I shifted to 1st instead of 3rd! :surprise::surprise:

This caused the rear tire to skip across the ground and get the back end loose. I grabbed the clutch as fast as I could but I was in 1st tire skipping along for a full 1.5-2 seconds. :frown:

Bike seams to run fine. No noticeable change in throttle response. Starts right up. Idles is good. Revs smooth. No change in MPG so far. I can't tell if it's down on power, but I don't think so. Valves are not making an noises that I can hear. No smoke from the exhaust when running or on start up. I have riden it about 200 miles since I did this with no problems yet.

Over all I don't think I hurt it. But I wanted to see what you guys think?

Given these bikes have no Tach I am not sure if it actually over reved, or if the tire took all of it. And if it did over rev I have no idea by how much.

Stupid mistake I know. :banghead:
Never in all my years have I done this before. And probably never will again.
I think it happened because after 3 years with this bike I just put a heal toe shifter on it and had not gone threw the gears hard like that after switching shifters and got lost for a second? :dontknow:

I hope I did not hurt it tho.

backstabber 09-16-2019 09:24 PM

If your tire was worn and you lost traction you are probably ok It sounds like you slid more than over revved

chuck_VTX F 09-17-2019 06:09 AM

your bike is fine.

Ride Safe, Ride Often

JAT 09-17-2019 09:47 AM

As Chuck said, bike has rev limiter. Kicks in at 5750rpm. Ride on.

Curt E 09-17-2019 10:15 AM

Bike is fine. You have a rev limiter. Bang them gears!

MC_G 09-17-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt E (Post 4610882)
Bike is fine. You have a rev limiter. Bang them gears!

At what RPM does this kick in (5500)?

Harkon 09-17-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC_G (Post 4610884)
At what RPM does this kick in (5500)?

5750 RPM give or take.

The rev limiter is there so that you cannot over rev the engine under power. As you were not under power, but actually driving the engine with the wheel, it is indeed possible to over rev the engine. That said, these engines are pretty strong and can happily rev above that 5750 limit. The limit is there for a couple of reasons, but the engine is pretty much out of power by that time anyway so extending that serves no purpose.

Don't worry about it, likely you'd break a U-joint in the drive shaft, or a transmission output shaft before you ever hurt the engine with such a maneuver. If nothin' broke ... and you'd know it, ride on my brother.

chuck_VTX F 09-17-2019 10:48 AM

the limiter... will cutout fuel.. so engine is in deceleration mode
second is the heavy crankshaft
third is the weighted counterbalancer to the crankshaft.
forth is the heavy flywheel

the proof.... the rear tire was skidding..

Curt E 09-17-2019 11:28 AM

The X jake brake, lol..

Badmunky 09-17-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harkon (Post 4610890)
5750 RPM give or take.

The rev limiter is there so that you cannot over rev the engine under power. As you were not under power, but actually driving the engine with the wheel, it is indeed possible to over rev the engine. That said, these engines are pretty strong and can happily rev above that 5750 limit. The limit is there for a couple of reasons, but the engine is pretty much out of power by that time anyway so extending that serves no purpose.

Don't worry about it, likely you'd break a U-joint in the drive shaft, or a transmission output shaft before you ever hurt the engine with such a maneuver. If nothin' broke ... and you'd know it, ride on my brother.

Nothing seams to have broken. Bike rides fine. So I think your right. I don't think I hurt it.
I was mostly worried about valve float. But the engine seems to be fine.

I did the same thing years ago in a car when I was young and had not been driving a stick long. I reved 3rd out to red line and then went for 4th but grabbed 2nd.:surprise::surprise: The cars engine protested with a thrown rod and many bent valves.

The VTX seems to have taken this much better. LOL