Another poor running vtx thread - VTXOA
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
God

Another poor running vtx thread

Hi everyone. My 2002 1800s is running poorly. It started out sporadically but when I rode it the the shop this Saturday to get the fork seals replaced it rode poorly the whole way there. It's power feels like it's been halved but it doesn't necessarily seem like it's misfiring. It also idles slightly weakly. Turning the bike off and back on again does not solve the issue. The odometer/trip meter does not reset. It's still at the shop so I can't do any tests right now, but I'd like to brainstorm ideas. I've already done the ground fix about a month ago and I've changed the fpr.

Espresso and motorcycles both have a way of making us feel alive, happy and free. Both of these thing, however, can be ruined if you don't start with good G R O U N D S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 PM

Start by checking all of your ground connections and then the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).
Those two things seem to account for a big majority of the problems you describe.
If those don't do the trick, I'm sure others will come in with further help.
Best of luck to you.

"It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to." - icopus
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
... The odometer/trip meter does not reset. ...
The tripmeter button needs to be removed and cleaned with WD40 or something similar. I have to do mine every 2 to 3 years, takes about 20 minutes. If cleaning doesn't fix it, a new button/switch is cheap. This problem is not related to the other issues you are having.

2003 VTX 1800R

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Does it have a fuel manager on it? These too, go bad with age. Try removing it from the bike and see if that is the culprit

AMA Life Member 721314
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Quote:
... The odometer/trip meter does not reset. ...
The tripmeter button needs to be removed and cleaned with WD40 or something similar. I have to do mine every 2 to 3 years, takes about 20 minutes. If cleaning doesn't fix it, a new button/switch is cheap. This problem is not related to the other issues you are having.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. It does reset if I want to reset it, but it doesn't reset on it's own as it would if there was a loose battery terminal connection

Espresso and motorcycles both have a way of making us feel alive, happy and free. Both of these thing, however, can be ruined if you don't start with good G R O U N D S.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Does it have a fuel manager on it? These too, go bad with age. Try removing it from the bike and see if that is the culprit
Yes! It does have some kind of fuel commander crap. I'm not an EFI pro, more of a carb guy myself, therefore I'm as bright as the village idiot when it comes to electronics and wiring. How would be the best way to disconnect it? It has those problematic "vampire" connectors.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes! It does have some kind of fuel commander crap. I'm not an EFI pro, more of a carb guy myself, therefore I'm as bright as the village idiot when it comes to electronics and wiring. How would be the best way to disconnect it? It has those problematic "vampire" connectors.

I was going to say check the fuel sock and filter until fuel commander crap came uphad to remove one of those on my 1800.

My 2003 I had to change the filter and sock the sock was open on the end doing virtually nothing to help the filter survive.
jmcpherson36 likes this.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:38 PM

The Power Commander III, aka...commander crap, is usually hanging down by the tool kit under the left side cover, and plugs in under the seat on top of the battery cover. Big white plug about 4 inches wide, just unplug it and find the original one right there next to it, plug it in. That bypasses it. If that fixes your problem you've found the the culprit.
jmcpherson36 likes this.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
The Power Commander III, aka...commander crap, is usually hanging down by the tool kit under the left side cover, and plugs in under the seat on top of the battery cover. Big white plug about 4 inches wide, just unplug it and find the original one right there next to it, plug it in. That bypasses it. If that fixes your problem you've found the the culprit.
I can't find any plugs "about four inches wide" other than one of the ones that plugs directly into the ECU. The wires coming out of my fuel manager ( which isn't labeled and therefore idk the brand of) connect to three wires under the seat with vampire clips. And one wire that leads to the - battery terminal. Can I just cut the damned wires? Will I have to re-splice the stock wires together?
Edit: I just went out to smell the exhaust and it has an unburnt gas smell. I took the k&n air filter out and dropped it in some degreaser to soak overnight since I won't be riding it today anyway. It was pretty ditry but by no means dirty enough to cause my symptoms

Last edited by God; 10-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Looks like this...The two plugs will be under the seat on top of the battery. Main unit hanging down under the left side cover.
There are other models, Power Commander 5 may look different but this is what mine looks like.

http://www.accessmaestro.com/misc/pc31.jpg

http://www.accessmaestro.com/misc/pc32.jpg

http://www.accessmaestro.com/misc/pc33.jpg

2003 VTX 1800R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page