Pricing an '03 1800C - VTXOA
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Delfiki
  • 3 Post By dud-57

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Pricing an '03 1800C

Hey everyone,

I recently got into cruisers. For the past decade I've been riding bmw's (k-bike, boxers, rotax singles) and a slew of parallel twins. I picked up a non-working shadow 750 and have had a blast working on it and ripping through town.

Browsing local marketplace i came upon an '03 1800C with locking side boxes, mustang seats with backrest, and windshield. I might be able to get away with getting it for under 2100. Thing is, it's got 53k miles. I know many of these bikes do last forever. I'm wondering if anyone would have any thoughts or hesitation on skipping this bike. Seller says it could use spark plugs. Waiting to hear back on why it needs them. Due to maintenance or if it rides rough. Thoughts from the collective smarter masses than I?

Thanks!

steveroy60 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:10 PM

“Needs new plugs” is just the owner’s admission that it runs rough, and he doesn’t really know why, but he wants to paint it as a minor issue. And it probably is... these bikes are pretty robust. If the bike looks good cosmetically and you like the bags, looks like a very decent deal. Plan on replacing air filter, fuel pressure regulator and all fluids. Maybe tires. Run a few tanks of Techron thru it. So, budget a grand on top of purchase price and you’ve got a solid bike that will likely give 80k+ miles of excellent service.
TennX, ervin260 and rangers4u like this.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:04 PM

With such a low price it could be he knows what's wrong. Still a good price. Btw mine has 78k and feels like it is just about broken in!

Maurice

Last edited by maurice2; 10-18-2019 at 09:43 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:36 PM

The bike looks nice. 53k miles is nothing if it's been properly maintained and not abused. The price - $2100 is a little low for this bike and I would be wondering about that.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:15 PM

I have 41k on my 03 vtx1800c and it rides like new. I'd buy it for 2100, alot of people keep up on maintenance and then sell cheap because they forgot or didn't know about having the valves adjusted every 15k or that the measurement for the brake and clutch lever should be 5 1/2" from the center of the ball on the lever to the center of the grip which can greatly affect performance, also check the gap on the plugs to make sure they're all the same
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 PM

Well 53k could be just broken in or end of life. Depends on a lot of things, mainly how it was taken care of.

Pull the dipstick and smell the oil. You'll know if it doesn't smell quite right. Exhaust should not be sooty. Excessive soot and smelly oil could indicate ring blow-by, or the need to look at the fuel pressure regulator, or both. At that price it's tough to just let it go though.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page