I have on '03 VTX1800S, all stock (now). Last year my bike started cutting out on me. It started out feeling like an occasional miss. They became more frequent and longer duration over time as I tried to (unsuccessfully) find the problem.
- I tried switching the coils but the problem didn't seem to move.
- I replaced plugs, but it remained.
- The ground fix had been done prior to me owning the bike, but I cleaned and regreased the connections at each coil and the battery.
- The start switch has seen some heat in the past, but has a relay wired in now so the main power is going around it.
- It had a fuel injection controller on it, so I disconnected it. When I wired things back up, the bike ran fine, so I thought the problem was solved.
Earlier this week, it missed twice on the way in to work but otherwise seemed fine. It was substantially worse when I left for home. About halfway home it was running on only one cylinder. When I got home I pulled all the grounds and checked them. After reconnecting them it ran great. I rode to work and back the next day...it ran fine until about a 1/2 mile from my house on the way home when it missed once. I started it this morning and it was missing like before and within 100yds of leaving my garage it was back to one cylinder.
+ The key difference between this year and last is that I have no FI light this year, whereas before it would light up when it missed.
Any ideas what I should check?