Air Filter Cover - Page 2 - VTXOA
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Yep, it's broken, and the fluid is the blowby from the crankcase vent hose. Clean the clear tube on the back of the airbox oout as that is supposed to catch that oil residue until it's filled then it will spill out of the bottom of the airbox.

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Did you remove the part from the chrome cover and re-install it into the back cover.
Than put the glue on??

Very light torque when tightening.
What are you saying? The metal piece you see in the pic that is in the chrome cover should not be there, but rather in the housing?
StarrRider likes this.

Maurice
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

No luck. The black piece in the housing is glued well together, but the chrome piece does not go in that hole. Too small a hole. Look at the pic of the flat metal piece on chrome cover, then look at the hole when clamped together. big difference. I must be missing something here. Like what Hans said maybe the metal piece should be in the housing to start with, so I have to get the piece out of the chrome cover? I will need to break the bond that is glued though.

Maurice

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 12:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice2 View Post
What are you saying? The metal piece you see in the pic that is in the chrome cover should not be there, but rather in the housing?
Yes! Hold that metal piece with pliers and remove the allen head screw from it.
Then install the metal piece in the hole on the back cover. If you have already glued it you will have to break the glue before the metal piece will fit in the hole. It is a tight fit before it's glued together.
That metal piece is an anchored nut, and is molded into the plastic back cover.
Look at the other cover screws and see how they are screwed into the back cover. That's how it is supposed to be.
rangers4u likes this.

03 VTX 1800 C ~ Mustang seat, Cobra pipes, Highway bar, Memphis shade Windshield, Viking hard bags, Honda Sissy bar, and Luggage rack..

Last edited by StarrRider; 11-05-2019 at 01:12 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrRider View Post
Yes! Hold that metal piece with pliers and remove the allen head screw from it.
Then install the metal piece in the hole on the back cover. If you have already glued it you will have to break the glue before the metal piece will fit in the hole. It is a tight fit before it's glued together.
That metal piece is an anchored nut, and is molded into the plastic back cover.
Look at the other cover screws and see how they are screwed into the back cover. That's how it is supposed to be.
Obviously I'm not the most mechanically inclined! When I saw the cover with the metal piece, I thought interesting Honda decided to make this different than the others. wow.

Problem solved without glue. The broken plastic/rubber grommet was so tight, that even with metal piece in place all the way, which took awhile for me to get it in there, still cracked part not totally closed. I had to use a hammer to bang metal piece in there. Cover is totally flush. Did not over tighten. Don't think the metal piece is going anywhere.
Thanks Starrrider!
StarrRider likes this.

Maurice

Last edited by maurice2; 11-05-2019 at 08:13 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:42 PM

you do realize you can buy an new air filter housing for around $40 shipped, right?

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...0-img-0531.jpg
2007 VTX 1300R Pearl Challenger Brown (aka Titanium)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Didn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXArizona View Post
you do realize you can buy an new air filter housing for around $40 shipped, right?
Didn't know the price but yup. Why do that when it's fixed for, price of a clamp $2.25 that I ended up not needing?
Good to know though.

Maurice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page