Air Filter Cover - VTXOA
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Air Filter Cover

On the bottom of the cover on the 1800, is the bottom screw designed to turn the metal inside piece toward the housing, making the cover snug up to the housing? Turning the screw does not have any effect other than turning the metal piece. If so mine is not working properly as there is a space at the bottom. Some fluid comes out and hits my right side bag. I took cover off and tried reinserting but no luck. Any ideas other than get a new housing are as always appreciated.

Maurice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:06 PM

I had this happen on mine. Actually it was the Honda shop did it and then denied having done it, but that's another story. At one point it got over tightened. What I did with mine was to fix the brass threaded rosette (this is the part with the knurled outside and the threaded hole) in place with super glue. Wait for the glue to set properly and you should be good to go. Just be careful to not overtighten it again.

Some say to heat the brass price up to plastic melting temp and re-insert it, but I didn't much care for that approach. I have heard that gluing it back in place with JB Weld works really well. My bet is that that would be a great fix as well.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

So that plastic black piece inside the housing is supposed to be solid, not a slit on each side? Ok, vice grip and super glue. Just seems like the hole will be too small to receive the silver metal piece on the cover, but it must work that way. Thanks Harkon.

Maurice

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice2 View Post
So that plastic black piece inside the housing is supposed to be solid, not a slit on each side? Ok, vice grip and super glue. Just seems like the hole will be too small to receive the silver metal piece on the cover, but it must work that way. Thanks Harkon.
Hope we're talking about the same thing. Maybe post a pic.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
Hope we're talking about the same thing. Maybe post a pic.
will do when I get a chance.

Maurice
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

2 pics show the parts in question, 3rd pic is after super glue, then put on clamp. This should solve problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191103_161533.jpg (329.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20191103_161501.jpg (159.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20191103_170639.jpg (181.3 KB, 11 views)

Maurice

Last edited by maurice2; 11-03-2019 at 09:17 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Thats about all you can do, just snug up dont over tighten.

Red 2004 1800N
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Garage
Did you remove the part from the chrome cover and re-install it into the back cover.
Than put the glue on??

Very light torque when tightening.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 AM

Garage
Instead of using glue I used a small screw type fuel hose clamp to squeeze it together around the threaded metal part. It's been working for a couple years now. The clamp is inside of the box and doesn't interfere with the filter.
rangers4u and DrDolittle like this.

03 VTX 1800 C ~ Mustang seat, Cobra pipes, Highway bar, Memphis shade Windshield, Viking hard bags, Honda Sissy bar, and Luggage rack..
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 AM

^^^^THIS^^^^ is what I did too. Works great. Fuel line skinny worm drive hose clamps fit right in there.
StarrRider likes this.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page