Honda VTX Forum banner

Slow Start

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Lou_VTX 
#1 ·
Hello All, I have notice my bike the last few cold starts takes longer to start off than usual, but when warmed up starts right up as it always has! Any suggestions that I might be able to check or change to make it start faster on a cold start?
As always much appreciate all your advice throughout the years ??

#2 ·
have the battery "LOAD" tested at an auto parts store..
ask for the Car battery load test.. not the motorcycle load test.

1800cc is the size of small car engines..

a cold 1800 draws over 300 amps to start from a battery 1/3 the size of a car battery.

this has been a known issue since 2003....
continuing to try to start with a weak battery will damage the starter solenoid

Reactions: DrDolittle
#9 ·
Ok, Thanks fellows i'm going to get my battery checked out today on the cold cranking amps, it does sound a little sluggish as I start it.... Again thanks for all your replies and help through the years! Oh today's Tempture high will be 67 degrees ? God loves Texas..........

#13 ·
Ok, Thanks fellows i'm going to get my battery checked out today on the cold cranking amps, it does sound a little sluggish as I start it.... Again thanks for all your replies and help through the years!
Cool, let us know what you find. I am curious myself. My battery is getting older and I've been noticing changes in cranking.

Oh today's Tempture high will be 67 degrees ? God loves Texas..........
God loves Texas? Not that much anymore. If he did, he would not have allowed the pussification efforts performed by immigrating Commiefornians.
We will have to find a better state soon, once the blue people destroy this one.

#10 ·
This from YUASA

YUASA Battery test, Charging, and Load Test::
Connect a digital voltmeter directly to the battery—red lead
to the positive terminal and black lead to negative. While
watching the voltmeter, press the start button and crank
the engine’s starter (it’s OK if the engine starts). Just before
the engine starts, note the voltmeter reading. As the starter
motor places an electrical load on the battery, cranking
voltage will normally drop. If battery voltage drops below
9.5 volts (at 70° F) while the engine is cranking over,
the battery needs to be replaced. If the engine starts too
quickly to read cranking voltage, the ignition or fuel injection
computer fuse can be removed. This will allow the starter
motor to operate (without the engine starting) and cranking
voltage can be measured.

#15 ·
What do you mean by cold star(cold temp start or it sat a couple of days)? When you say hot starts are easier, what do you mean(High temps or after you have ran it for a while)? If your bike has set for awhile, but you want to go for a ride, then try this, turn your key on and off twice then start it. If it starts easier then your fuel pump is getting weak. If it still is hard to start then your battery is dying.

#20 ·
I remember inventing the "Crashed Ice" craze after a good game of ice hockey, we took to the nearby sled hill and skated down the one area that we had dug out to make corners and jumps when we would go down on the old saucers. So many kids would go down it, the snow turned to ice so it was like a bobsled run and we skated it. This was in the early 70's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.