1800 - Clutch issues - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

1800 - Clutch issues

Bought a new to me 02 1800 this weekend, knowing it was a project (for a project price - with v&h exhaust, ‘17 stamped tires with very low miles, and Kuryakyn accessories out the wazoo).

Clutch is stuck, and I want to make sure I’m on the right path.

What I’ve done:
1 - Bled the master/slave by way of vacuum pump. No love.
2. Cracked the throttle while holding the clutch in. No love.
3. When the clutch lever is pulled, I hear something moving (with motor off).

My planned next steps are:
1. Remove LH grip to give the lever more room to travel. I don’t expect this will address the issue, but it’s worth trying.
2. Pull clutch basket to see if this bike is victim to the dreaded sheared rivets.

Anything else I should try before pulling the clutch basket?
Earl Riviere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:02 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard. Bareass choppers has much helpful info. I'd start here: https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/clu...tall-vtx-1800/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
Welcome to the boards.
Where in TX are you located? Real TX or fake TX?

VTX 1800C

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

@Lou . I’m in north DFW. Is that real TX? (If this posts multiple times, it’s because the board is being weird, probably since I’m new).

I started at Bareass (after finding them via this board), just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing any diagnostic tests.
Curt E likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
Put the tranny in 5th gear, hold the clutch lever in, and hit the starter button. It will help if you shove the bike against a wall, to keep it from trying to roll, while doing this. Good luck. I have unstuck many clutches using this method, it might take sever tries, but it will work.
Blaine C likes this.

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCrash View Post
@Lou . I’m in north DFW. Is that real TX? (If this posts multiple times, it’s because the board is being weird, probably since I’m new).

I started at Bareass (after finding them via this board), just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing any diagnostic tests.
There's nothing wrong with the board. If you had gone to the "New Members Intro" board you would have seen the Sticky thread at the top "Please Read First" and saw that your first 5 posts must be seen and approved by a moderator before they will show up on the public board. This helps keep spamming down.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
The 1800 can smoke a clutch
Curt E likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Riviere View Post
Put the tranny in 5th gear, hold the clutch lever in, and hit the starter button. It will help if you shove the bike against a wall, to keep it from trying to roll, while doing this. Good luck. I have unstuck many clutches using this method, it might take sever tries, but it will work.
Thanks. Ill try this tomorrow. Damn thing took me for a ride at the sellers when I popped it in first... (seller said hed ridden it around the block a couple months prior - for what its worth).

Just want to diagnose the bike before dumping cash into it, and would really like a spin around the block to see if anything else needs attention. She has some gremlins,
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Success!

While the clutch wouldn’t unstick doing the against the wall trick, I’d read elsewhere about someone getting it to unstick while riding it.

So I ziptied the clutch (with tools in my pocket to release the zip tie) and went for a quick spin. Lord knows she has plenty of torque to allow this.

Got er up to 5th, maybe a mile into the ride, at a low speed, and cracked the throttle a couple times. Eventually it let loose and now we’re in business.

Now I just gotta chase down some wiring issues and get ‘er inspected and in my name.

Good lord she has a lot of torque and sounds awesome.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Riviere View Post
When this didnt work, I tried the suggestion Id seen elsewhere - riding it around the neighborhood with the clutch pulled in.

After about a mile the clutch loosened up, and now she shifts well.

Thanks yall!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page