Handlebar recommendation 1800C - VTXOA
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chicago-Spike
  • 2 Post By TennX
  • 1 Post By Big Wes
  • 1 Post By Squid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

I've decided that I want to do handlebars instead of the risers that I indicated on a previous post. I'm looking to bring the controls closer to me as I have been finding it difficult when cornering and moving the bike at parking lot speeds. Unfortunately with handlebars there is no such thing as try-before-you-buy so I have to get it right the first time.
I have a Mustang seed which makes me lean a little back which doesn't help the situation as I'm only 5-8 in stature and the VTX is a pretty long bike for my height proportion so I'm thinking that I need to bring the handlebars in approximately two to three inches.
If anyone can make recommendations as to any name / part number of any handlebars I would really appreciate it.
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20190602_151922_156286247117669_1575099080731.jpeg (217.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Mrjo1340; 11-30-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

This is like asking a group what shoes you should buy. Every pair fits different and everyone has different pairs that fit them better. You will find someone that likes every set of bars out there. You asked for the combined wisdom of the board about what can be done for a C model to lessen the sore arms/wrists/shoulders and I and a few others gave you that 17 years of learned wisdom, and even personal experience from myself, and said "6 inch pullback risers is what C owners have done to alleviate all those problems the cheapest way..." About the only other thing you can do, as I did as well, is have a custom set of bars made for you as you sit on the bike but now you're talking a lot of time and money, but well worth it in my opinion.

Your last option is to go to that site I linked that gives the stock bar measurements and copy down your models specs and go into that site and look at all the bars they have and compare and take a stab at a set or two. Here is that link again;
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...ckBarsOne.html
TennX likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. Can you clarify exactly what diameter the stock bars are?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post
Thank you for your advice. Can you clarify exactly what diameter the stock bars are?
Ooh,Ooh...I got this one...
1”...
Chicago-Spike and DrDolittle like this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:54 PM

I really like the height, shape and positioning of the stock "R" handlebars, darn comfortable for OEM. I don't know if those would would on your "C" or not.

2003 VTX 1800R
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

I also have to take into consideration the speedo. I would really not want to change the current stock setup
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 04:11 PM

Being vertically challenged at 5'4", I had to make the X more accommodating (I'm probably a sight to see riding it, but I try not to think too much about it).

In addition to shorter rear shocks, I added the 1800R bar and 6" risers. This required the Valkyrie clutch line and 6" longer throttle cables.

This setup has me sitting pretty much straight up. Though it's comfortable, I would prefer to sit a bit more relaxed.

I hope this helps when considering your height and needs.

"It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to." - icopus
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:41 PM

I have Baron X bars on my C. I bought them way back when, 2002 or2003 I don't even know if they 're still available these days, Oops! just searched they're still available 114.95 Search Barons X Bars
Krom likes this.

Wes
Va. Beach, Va.
2002 1800 C
2003 Gold Wing
OBAST Member #19
Owner/Operator-Neighborhood Lawn Care
"Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Clippings Back"

Hollow Points-"For Those Who Care Enough to Send the Very Best"

"I hear voices, and they tell me they don't like you"

Last edited by Big Wes; 12-03-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Garage
I kept having numb right hand a few years ago then I realized I never had that problem with other bikes especially my dirt bike that had bars straight out with no pull back.
So I got bars with very little pullback but I needed them to be further back so I looked at the bars that sweep back with a curve plus I added a riser about 5 inches.
That was a perfect fit now I get very little if any hand numbness nor do I have to lean forward to reach the bars.
Curt E likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page