Converting the 1800C muffler to closed circuit form - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Converting the 1800C muffler to closed circuit form

The VTX 1800C muffler is actually well designed to accommodate Honda's hp and tq output. Removing the Catalytic converter from the front of the muffler actually makes the muffler free flowing and afterwards there is a noticeable increase in throttle response and improved acceleration. The volume of the stock sound increases without a crappy sound like I have heard so many state their disappointment in the sound after drilling holes in the back of the muffler. Drilling holes in the back of the muffler doesnt make it more free flowing as the restriction is up front in the cat.

Removing the cat is the only internal modification I did. The other modification was external and involved removing the exhaust tip and cutting the 2 tubes close to the end of the muffler, then reinstalling the exhaust tip. This increased the volume even more and the sound is really awesome at idle and throughout the rev range but never obnoxiously loud.

Getting the cat out takes the most time but the difference in power is seat of the pants noticeable. It will make you feel like the muffler was really stopped up beforehand. It is that noticeable.

If you have always favored the single crankpin sound like I have you will be very pleased with this twin crankpin sound. It really sounds that good....and even though the twin crankpin Honda will never sound like a Harley (that is what the VTX1300 sounds like) The VTX1800C with this mod has a powerful deep sound and definitely has that big block rumble that lets everyone know this 110 isn't fooling around.

If you do this mod I would like to hear your comments on the difference afterward..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191126_173709_1575388429339.jpg (178.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20191130_132243_1575388446516.jpg (271.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20191130_124333_1575388465436.jpg (528.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20191130_124124_1575388489142.jpg (523.9 KB, 11 views)
Curt E likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

The one pic is with most of the cat removed. I actually scraped the remaining pieces out before I installed the muffler. It is a good pic of the shower drain like plate behind the cat. I left the shower drain looking plate intact. Only removed the cat.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:06 AM

Most of the VTX owners can't do this mod at all, because they don't have cat. converter in their exhaust system originally. Only California and EU bikes have cat. converter, if I remember correctly.

VTX 1800/280
You can say anything stupid. It's the internet. No real consequences for YOU.

Last edited by ervin260; Yesterday at 03:24 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Old Goat

...I removed mine using V$H Big Shots....
BobD, Harkon and Curt E like this.

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,DARKSIDE,foots mod.. ..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Garage
Good info for those bikes that are applicable.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

That is interesting about only the CA models have the cat in the front of the muffler as the muffler I modded was another original Vtx1800c muffler that I found locally here in Oklahoma and the original one I took off my bike also had the cat. Have other owners had their original muffler off and looked to see if they have a cat or not in the front of the muffler?. I would like to see a pic of a muffler that does not have the cat to see what the internal difference looks like.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:50 AM

VTX1800C A muffler has a different part number than the VTX1800C AC model. The AC model also got the evap canister, and an O2 sensor in the pipe.

My bet is that the only difference in the muffler would be the cat.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; 12-07-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Im pretty sure at least the later models all had cats. The California models have an O2 sensor and a smog pump that is the muffler difference.

2006 VTX1800 Supercharged
2014 Valkyrie ABS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTl...2&index=1&t=0s
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecagreen View Post
That is interesting about only the CA models have the cat in the front of the muffler as the muffler I modded was another original Vtx1800c muffler that I found locally here in Oklahoma and the original one I took off my bike also had the cat. Have other owners had their original muffler off and looked to see if they have a cat or not in the front of the muffler?. I would like to see a pic of a muffler that does not have the cat to see what the internal difference looks like.
I had removed the internals of two 1800C mufflers completely. Don't remeber having cat. converter inside, just the blocking plates and pipes. Didn't take pictures.

VTX 1800/280
You can say anything stupid. It's the internet. No real consequences for YOU.

Last edited by ervin260; Yesterday at 03:26 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM

FYI

09/02/2003 - Torrance, Calif.
VTX means Performance First™, and nothing says performance like the stunning VTX1800C. Powered by an 1800cc engine, the VTX1800C combines street-rod styling with the biggest mass-produced V- twin engine available.

Features & Benefits

New for 2004

The VTX™1800C is available in these exciting new color schemes: Magenta Metallic, Candy Orange Flame, Titanium Flame, and Black.

Unique Features

Show-stopping street rod styling with beautiful satin-finish cast aluminum wheels.

Minimalist-design front and rear steel fenders complement the VTX's street-rod styling.

Dragster-style seat boasts a low, 27.3-inch seat height for flat-footed confidence during low-speed maneuvers

Semi-swept handlebar design provides a comfortable, upright riding position.

Handsome chromed two-into-one exhaust system produces a deep exhaust note.

Wide, low, 130/70R-18 radial front tire enhances street-rod styling and delivers superb handling.

Aggressive 180/70R-16 radial rear tire puts the engine's awesome power to the ground and provides exceptional traction.

Large, handsomely finished 4.5-gallon gas tank with aviation-style fuel cap offers extended cruising range.

ECU-controlled, closed-loop emission control system utilizes an air injection system and three-way exhaust catalyzer to simultaneously reduce emissions of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). 49-state model exceeds California Air Resources Board (CARB) 2004 emissions standards and California model exceeds CARB 2008 standards.

2006 VTX1800 Supercharged
2014 Valkyrie ABS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTl...2&index=1&t=0s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page