Honda VTX Forum banner

Headlight stopped working

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Stanislaw.ian 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, just joined as I’ve looked up this site to find many questions answered. I just installed one of those aftermarket spike air filters, but my headlight stopped working when I turned it on. There’s no warning lights or anything but can someone help me? Or is it just a bad coincidence and probably just needs a new bulb or fuse ?

#2 · (Edited)
Confusing information...
Do you have Front run light, tail lights, brake light, Neutral light, oil pressure light???

Will the engine crank and run??

The Starter switch shares a component that feeds the headlight.
What about high beam or low beam???

1800, year and model??

Headlight fuse in the right frame cover.

Main 30 amp fuses in the left frame cover.

#6 ·
2007 Honda vtx 1800 f, nothing else is wrong with the bike, I have no idea why it did it. All my lights on the dash on the tank work, engine cranks and runs just fine, but I did see when I put the air filter one of the lights popped up right before I started it and went away when i started it and that’s when it went out, and now that I think about it When I try using my brights the light doesn’t even come up when I use them

#8 ·
#10 ·
On the earlier models the headlight (hi & lo) are on a fuse of it's own. Fuse is suspect because I bet your hi beam warning light on your dash doesn't work either. It could however be a dirty contact in the starter switch which just needs a little cleaning with a cotton bud and contact cleaner. The starter switch has two poles which means it's dimming the headlight every time you start the bike so the battery doesn't have to share power with the starter motor and the headlight at the same time. Simple to strip down but be mindful of little springs flying in different directions.
If it starts working on alternate Tuesdays and Fridays then we have another issue which may require the cleaners wearing black stopping by...

#12 ·
So I took the fuse out and checked it, it was fine, I did see two 5 amp fuses that were burnt out but I don’t know what they’re for, they’re the only two on the bike, I changed the bulb, and took apart the switch and cleaned it out. The switch was really dirty so I thought that would. It but it still doesn’t work

#14 · (Edited)
>>> Well now it’s coming on but it comes and goes <<< related to Starter switch??

Two 5 amp fuses burned out..
Only one 5a amp fuse for the Turn Signal and a spare in a tiny fuse holder.

Attachments

#17 ·
The headlight current frequently gets hot enough to allow contacts to move slightly or for the shunt carrier to melt a bit.
If shunt does not move freely it could cause a connection problem. Read the PDF again. Special emphasis on the shunt moving freely.

My brother in law had to go into the starter switch for the second time to free the shunt.(1800F)

#19 ·
Starter Switch notes.
Shunt has a spring pushing it away from carrier to make a connection at the fixed contacts.
if the shunt gets hot it can melt some plastic that can interfere with travel.
A knife can be used to remove the melted plastic to allow the shunt full travel.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.