Honda VTX Forum banner

rear caliper rebuild bleed question

998 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  fastspek 
#1 ·
I cant find .... AND I LOOKED
I rebuilt the rear caliper and about to bleed... do the frt and rear fluids mix? meaning do I need to bleed the whole system or just the rear caliper and/or front lower bleed valves and the rear caliper because my fronts feel great

Reactions: steveroy60
#2 · (Edited)
Yes. Front brake lever applies pressure to both calipers.

Ooops. Wait a minute. It’s the rear pedal that applies pressure to the front as well. I don’t know how I got that backwards. But yes, rebuilding rear means bleed the front too. Check out the explicit instructions from Bare’s site.

#3 ·
yes, sir, I understand that the system works both frt and rear however do I need to bleed front 1st even if i never opened the front system sir but do I need to break open the front bleeders to bleed the rear... or can I just bleed the rear caliper

#6 ·
Thank.you very much... I wasnt to clear if it was a must to bleed entire system if the rear was only opened.

#7 · (Edited)
To make it clear: on the VTX 1800, front brake's fluid in the master cylinder's reservoir on the handlebars do not mix with the rear brake's fluid (brake pedal). Front brake's master is connected to the upper and lower pistons of the front calipers, but are not connected to the middle pistons. Middle pistons connected to the rear brake's master (brake pedal) and rear brake caliper. This is why you have two brake lines connected to each front calipers.
So, in your case, you don't need to bleed the "front", but you need to bleed the two middle pistons on the front calipers and the rear caliper. That's the "linked" (rear) brake system...

#8 ·
As Ervin said.

Here's a thought though. You have to get fluid anyway and it will take an extra 10 minutes to bleed out the front too. And just a few more to do the clutch. This way you can just bleed it all on a schedule, like every 2 or 3 years, as opposed to having new fluid here and old fluid there. That's what I would do, anyway.

#9 · (Edited)
Bleeding Brakes (VTX 1800) « Bareass Choppers Motorcycle Tech Pages

After reading the instructions of Bareasschoppers in your case you only have to bleed the rear brake caliper without touching the front linked calipers which were already bled but doing all three won't hurt:

copying the instructions:

Bleed in this order!!!
FIRST
Right front brake
lower 10mm bleeder

SECOND
Left front brake
lower 8mm bleeder

THIRD
Rear brake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.