Ticking noise in engine - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Ticking noise in engine

Hello All
I just got back from a little afterwork ride and noticed while I was out that my engine has a ticking sound. When I got home I let the bike idle and listened and sure enough there is a ticking sound. The first thing I can think about is valves tapping. I did the 8000 mile valve adjustment a couple hundred miles ago. It was my first time doing valves on a bike but I checked everything twice and I think everything was good. Could driving it a couple hundred miles throw the valves out? I didn't hear the ticking right after the adjustment. I put on a Roadhouse slip-on and a hypercharger so I'm still getting use to the sound of the bike. It was stock all last year. Any idea's? Thanks in advance for any help.

Larry Morris
Glen Rock Pa.
03 -1800C Vtx Hyper Charger Pro, Roadhouse slip-on,PIII, Kuryakyn/Dakota Tach, Iso Flame grips, Progressive spings up front, And some chome do-dads to make her look pretty!
82- KZ1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:47 PM

I've noticed a similar noise with my 03. On my bike it seems to be coming from the rear cylinder on the exhaust side. At first I thought it was valve adjustment, but upon checking the clearances everything was spot on. The strange thing about my bike is that the sound comes and goes. I was going to take it to the stealer so he could listen to it, but of course everytime I got there, it wouldn't make the noise. I got to wondering if it was something in the air injection system. It drove me buggy for a while but the bike runs fine, so I've just decided to ignore it.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 09:47 PM

If it's not the rockers then it may be an injector or the fuel pressure regulator. The regulators are notorious for going bad. Unplug the vacuum line to it and turn on the key. If it's bad, gas will flow out of it but, it will run like crap and smoke when it goes bad. The regulator on my '03 1800 ticks but it's working.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '03 1800R

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:25 AM
THECRAIGMEISTER

CHECK AND MAKE SURE IT ISN'T COMING FROM YOUR HYPERCHARGER!! PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE BUTTERFLY VALVE AND SEE IF IT GOES AWAY? I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND THAT IS WHAT IT WAS. THE BUTTERFLY WAS TICKING AT IDLE. CHECK IT OUT!!
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 07:11 AM

Well, I had a really loud ticking noise after only 200 miles on a brand new '04 Retro, thought I was riding a Timex watch and not a motorcycle.
It's at the stealers right now and they agreeed that something not right, but they can't even get to it till Monday so I'm ***** out a luck for now...
I'll keep you posted on their find.

Steve G.
_______
2004 VTX 1800R, Memphis Fats 19"

2004 1800R', Corbra Speedster Longs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:15 PM

Same problem here... took it out of winter hibernation, did 2 nice runs, no problem. Went to work last week, ticking started. Seems to be from the rear cylinder; mechanic's going to try to figure it out next week. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ride Safe.

Rog

'02 1800R Illusion Blue;
SCRC 437 Ottawa-Gatineau;
Co-Ride Captain, Ride for DAD (Ottawa).
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:00 PM

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ht=ticking
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ht=ticking
Here are some posts that may help.

2002 VTX 1800C Illusion Red, V&H Bigshots, Dynojet Powercommander, Kuryakyn Hypercharger and ISO grips, Mustang seat, Rivco risers, Clearview windshield, Progressive 440 SD.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the links, but the ticking sound starts as soon as the bike fires up & cold, warm, hot - don't think it's the rad. cap, but I'll get them to check it.

Rog

'02 1800R Illusion Blue;
SCRC 437 Ottawa-Gatineau;
Co-Ride Captain, Ride for DAD (Ottawa).
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:17 PM

Well, unfortunely my ticking is coming from the front cylinder and it starts after about 5 mins after I take off, and gets louder the further I ride, also rises with the speed of the bike.
But I didn't want to take chances with a brand new bike so I took it back to the dealer and said FIX it.

Steve G.
_______
2004 VTX1800R, Memphis Fats 19"

2004 1800R', Corbra Speedster Longs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

When you get it fixed let us know what it was. Tomorow is going to be a good riding day so I'm going to check it again.

Larry Morris
Glen Rock Pa.
03 -1800C Vtx Hyper Charger Pro, Roadhouse slip-on,PIII, Kuryakyn/Dakota Tach, Iso Flame grips, Progressive spings up front, And some chome do-dads to make her look pretty!
82- KZ1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page