Goodsgto - 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - Page 2 - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

11/8/2013 - Liquid Glass Polish and Pre-Cleaner

Mileage - 14,946

Purchased a kit that consisted of Liquid Glass Polish and the Pre-Cleaner that removes the old wax and elements so the Liquid Glass adheres better to the surface. About $35.00 with shipping for the kit. Polish is $17.00.

I washed the bike with Dawn dish soap to help remove the wax. Then used the Pr-Cleaner as instructed. It is a cleaner that applies like a liquid wax, drys to a hazy finish and is removed with a microfiber towel. Easy on and off.

Applied the Liquid Glass per instructions. Easy on, let dry to haze and remove - easy off. Instructions state to apply two coats for best results and allow 4 hours between coats. Then let "bake" in the sun to harden the coating. This polish can be applied in direct sunlight. I have applied 2 coats to the painted surfaces and 1 to the chrome. Will finish the 2nd coat on the chrome tomorrow. It must be applied in 50 degree to 80 degree temps. I had to heat the garage this morning to get started as the high temp in Missouri was going to be 58 degrees today but that would be late afternoon.

You do not need to use a lot of either product for good results. Instructions say to use sparingly.

I am pleased with the results so far. The shine is deep and reflection is like on a shiny new car or bike. I am interested in the durability as this product claims since it is so easy to go and and off. THe reviews I read were all positive and the product got 5 stars out of 5 on the reviews. There were over 214 reviews on Amazon.

Stay tuned for durability update.

When I ride, it's nuthin' but miles of smiles

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Photo's after Liquid Glass

Here are a couple photo's after completing the Liquid Glass polishing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mirror Extenders Installed 11/12/13

Mileage - 15,008

Ordered mirror extenders on eBay for $14.80 (free shipping). Installed and I can know see around my arm when wearing the larger winter riding jacket.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Oil changed - 11/14/13

Mileage - 15,015

Changed oil, filter and crush washer on drain plug.

Used Shell Rotella T6 oil 5W40. (synthetic)

Filter is the Bosch 3323.

Crush washer was a left over from the VTX 1800 and it fit.

Total cost of oil change about $28.00.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 PM

Very nice goodsgto

I considered carrying on with my XCT at the end of my VTX log but thought better of it.

"Oh, bother", said Pooh as the tripwire clicked...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sunset Red '12 Victory Cross Country Tour
Stage 1 Bassani Mufflers

Re-Homed With hunter2379
: Black '03 VTX 1800 Retro Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags Tsukayu Fairing Old Inc Classic Tour Pack Roadhouse Classics 2-1 Show Chrome guards Rivco Risers Rivco Passenger boards Darkside Yokohama AVID ENVigor 205/60R16 1300 final JTD Lowers Cobra Lightbar
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Hey Pointman

I figure there are lots of former VTX owners still using this site to help VTX'rs and a few of us (you and I are two) that have moved to new rides (Victory's) still hanging out here also. I like the set up of the forum and have over 10 years experience using it.... So why recreate what works. Right?

I have seen some of your posts on the Victory forums on you new and old ride. I believe we have a similar history in our recent change of motorcycles.

Like you, I considered holding on the the VTX and XCT. However, I only put about 150 miles on the VTX in 8 months after purchasing the XCT. So I let the VTX go and again like you it was to someone that is staying in touch with me for chats about the bike and occasional rides.

I was able to put 15,000 miles on the XCT in 2013 and plan to do even more miles this year. I read that you've put a few miles on your new ride, be safe and we'll stay updated via the cyberworld.

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

04/03/14 - New Rear Tire and Driving Lights installed

Mileage - 15,681

After a few attempts with onlinetires.com to order a rear tire - no luck and cancelled the order due to first tire being discontinued and second tire being unavailable at warehouse - I went back to Tirerack.com.

Ordered the tire - Hankook Ventus V4 ES, size 195/55/16 on April 1 at 11am and it arrived standard shipping on April 2 at 3:42pm - Fast Delivery. Paid $89 for the tire and $14 shipping.
Hankook Ventus V4 ES.jpg
Removed the rear wheel and old tire today. Waited for Harry to come home from work so I could use his tire changer. Nice to have a neighbor with a tire changer.

Harry and I changed the tire out quickly. Installed the Kurvey Girl 85 degree valve stem and 3 ounces of balance beads. Put the beads in after tire was mounted to the wheel using the air compressor to give a quick blast of air to move the beads through the stem and into the tire.

Starting at 35 psi. Need to watch the wear to be sure the tire wears evenly. Had too much psi in previous tire and it wore out in the center while the edges still had good tread.

Mike P showed up with his bike and assisted in mounting the tire on the bike. He left his bike with Harry and I to put tires on it tomorrow.

Also went to Harris Automotive and picked up 3 bags (two 6 oz and one 4 oz) of balancing beads for all the tires to be mounted for $31. Need to call them in the future a day before we need beads and they can order the 16 ounce bag of beads for a cost of $23.

Thanks to Harry and Mike today for help on the tire.

Last week, installed some LED driving lights purchased at Rural King for $15. Mounted to highway bars with stainless house clamps. Found a switch at O'Reilly Auto parts that fit in the factory mount on the dash for $3.99. Switch lights up blue to match the lights on the other instruments.
Driving lights.jpg

Time to put some miles on this tire.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM

1. It's about time that you changed that rear tire !
2. You seem to spend a lot of time at Rural King.....

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 AM

I really like that rear tire tread pattern but don't know anyone that's running it.

I'm leaning towards the General Altimax RT right now, looks similar

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wngd View Post
I really like that rear tire tread pattern but don't know anyone that's running it.

I'm leaning towards the General Altimax RT right now, looks similar
I have heard about this tire from a couple guys on the VOG forum. I was wanting the Dunlop Winter Sport Run Flat but my neighbor talked me out of it due to the blow out he had with a run flat tire. The sidewalls are so stiff that that dig into the edges of the tire when it flexes leading to a short tire life - at least for him. Plus he owns the tire changer and says they are very difficult to mount.

I will update the post as I get some miles on the tire.

Let me know how the Altimax works out. I am a General Tire fan for my car - those and Kelly Springfield - I get a lot of miles out of those brands of tires at a reasonable price.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page