Goodsgto - 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - Page 3 - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE - Hankook Ventus V4 ES - 5/16/14

Mileage - 18,884

Rear tire update - Over 3,000 miles on the Hankook Ventus V4 ES and it still looks new. It is by far the best car tire I have used on a bike. It rides smooth, handles well and sticks to the road.

Tested the tire on the May 2014 ride to Slay the Dragon. Plenty of different roads and twisties to test the tire. Just the road to the cabin was a challenge with all the turns and steep incline.
10353103_10202055340005220_7835976783050648546_n.jpg
Works so well Harry next door has put one on his Gold Wing. We are now both running the same size and model tires front and rear - Double Darkside.
10277510_830519763625136_7251427282380762459_n.jpg
FYI - Stock tire sizes for the Gold Wing, VTX 1800C and Victory Cross Country Tour are all the same size - Front 130/70/18 and rear 180/60/16. Just thought I would share.

Back to riding............

When I ride, it's nuthin' but miles of smiles

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Oil Changed - 6/6/14

Mileage - 20,333

Changed oil today. Used 4.5 quarts of Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic. Had a gallon jug from last year and bought a quart at Wal-mart.

Did not use the motorcycle lift. Just set the pan under the bike and let it drain.

Filter is a Bosch 3323. Re-used the crush washer - still in good shape.

Note to self - put dipstick in before starting bike to allow oil to flow to filter. I have sprayed the west garage wall with oil spots.

Took used oil, old brake fluid and Charger's power steering fluid to Wal-mart to dispose of properly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Handle Bars raised 2 inches - 6/10/14 and 6/11/14 Push Rod Bolt

Mileage - 20,394

Read about adjusting the handle bars on a Victory web site. Just loosed 2 allen bolts - 6mm - under the bars. Did not need to remove the fairing.

Move the bars up about 2 inches. Felt good.

Had to adjust the clutch and front brake levers on the bars which also adjusted the mirrors.

When the rain stops in Missouri, take a little test ride.

I have read that higher bars have been better for most riders back pain and fatigue issues.

6/11/14 - Replaced push rod bolt on lower right swing arm

Noticed over the past few days some bottoming out while hitting bumps, especially riding two up. Today, I heard a high pitched squeal at speeds over 30 mph with engine on or off. When I got home I climbed under the Victory to see the push rod bolt on the right side rubbing the drive belt (reason for squeal). I took a wrench to the bolt and it came out leaving the other still in the bushing. Also noticed that one of the two bushing was on the outside of the housing for the bushing. This may have been done in error on the last tire change by myself or one of my helpers.

I ran up to Charlie's (local hardware/farm store) and purchased a new flange bolt and nut for under $5.00. Had a little bit of a time trying to get the push rod over the busing and lined up to allow the bolt to pass through. Got it....

Took a little test spin - all felt good. Found a few bumps to test the travel of the shock - no bottoming out or rubbing. Happy, Happy, Happy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Tourmaster windshield bag installed - 6/12/14

Mileage - 20,400

Ordered a Tourmaster windshield bag from LeatherUp yesterday and it arrived today.
It was not made specifically for a Victory but installed on the windshield mounts on the fairing by drilling two holes in the bags.

Now I have storage for things needed while riding. Here is a picture installed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Saddle Bag Rails installed - 07/31/2014

Mileage - 23,269

Purchased the Victory Saddle Bag Rails via FaceBook Victory site. Paid $207 including shipping. New from Victory is $350.00.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Clutch cable lube - 9/15/14............... New Seat (Factory Warranty) - 9/5/14

Mileage - 24,395

9-15-14

Ran across a video on the Victory Facebook page on how to do maintenance to the clutch cable that are prone to premature failure. Went out to Charlies hardware and picked up some Lithium Grease for the job - $4.

Follwed the intructions on the video - The clutch cable on the video was a little different than the one on my XCT. Maybe why the failure is not seen as much on the XCT as the other Victory bikes.

Removed chrome cable cover (accessory - not stock), used channel locks to take tension off cable to remove lower cable end near rear passenger foot peg. Then remove pivot bolt and screw on clutch lever, be careful not to drop bushing out when removing clutch lever. Remove lever and took cable out of lever. Both the lower and upper end of the cable have a plastic sleeve attached to the barrel that pivots on the end of the cable.

Cleaned all areas where the cable and lever mounts with brake cleaner (covered the tank and other painted areas to keep the cleaner off the paint).

Grease the pivot points and bolts with a light coating of Lithium grease. Reassembled and cleaned off any excess grease. Process took less than an hour with prep and clean up.

On 9-5-14
- Went to Munganest Motorsports to have the seat replaced. Took them less than 1/2 hour to install the replacement seat under warranty. The original seat had two small tears develop at the sewn seam near the tank.

I noticed this and did not give it much thought until I read on Facebook other Victory owners had the same issue and were getting the seats replaced under warranty by Victory. I had to ride to the dealer 1 week before the seat was replaced for them to take pictures and send a claim to Victory. One guy stated he had three seats replaced under warranty.

The dealer asked if there were any changes or improvements made to the seat to address the issue and Victory said "No". I will be watching the seat to see if it starts to tear again. It appears the seam is more under the seat and closer to the tank on this new seat compared to the old seat. But that could be from riding on the old seat pulling the seam away from the tank.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Oil Changed - 10/20/14 and Belt Adjusted - 10/21/14

Mileage - 25,201

Changed oil today. Used 4.5 quarts of Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic. Purchased a gallon at Menard's for $21.36 with a $5.00 mail in rebate. Used 1/2 quart purchased for the June oil change with it.

Did not use the motorcycle lift. Just set the pan under the bike and let it drain.

Filter is a Bosch 3323 ($6.99). Replaced the crush washer - Note - Need to buy more crush washers.

Mike P. showed up to aerate the grass during the oil change. So did some multi-tasking today. Harry's lawn and mine.

Took used oil and filter to O'Reilly Auto Parts for proper disposal.

Belt Adjustment

Mileage - 25.222

Had a little chirping when I would first head out on the bike. Adjusted the drive belt today to stop the chirping. It was a little off center and the left side adjustment bolt was loose.
Also noticed some wear marks on the wheel pulley between the teeth. May be from some debris that got on the belt or in the pulley.

Purchased the two 4" dryer vents at Menard's ($1.97 each) to replace the ones installed in the exhaust tips last year to stop the exhaust from leaking before the end of the pipes. They leak due to the Atom Bomb exhaust not having the extended tail pipes like the stock exhaust. To be installed later this year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Front Fender Rail Accent installed - 10/31/14

Mileage - 25,490

Purchased a Victory Front Fender Rail Accent that I found for sale on the Victory Facebook page. Retails for $139 to $179 on eBay to Victory Motorcycle web pages. Paihttps://www.vtxoa.com/forums/newreply.php?p=5205050&noquote=1d $60.00 on Facebook. Did not come with the bolts. Called the dealer and emailed Victory customer service to get the correct size bolt. Dealer did not know and Victory answered me after I did trial and error at the hardware store. Found stainless steel hex bolts and washers at Lowe's for under $4.00.

The bolts size I found and used was M6x1.00x16mm. Received Victory's email reply on bolt size and they stated M6x1.00x12mm.

Harry helped with the install. We had a problem with one bolt hole and had to tap the hole to get the bolt to go in straight.

Looks good - what do you think?

Need to find a rear fender rail accent at a discount now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Rear Fender Rail Accent - 11/16/14

Mileage - 25,750

Found the Rear Fender Rail Accent on eBay for $69.99 + $15 shipping. Retail at Victory is $179.00. Saved a few dollars.

Came with four mounting bolts and nuts. Found some lock washers in the tool box. Installed today with a dab of blue thread lock.

Here are a few photo's -

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Repaired Flat Rear Tire - 12/12/14

Mileage - 26,023

Attempted to ride the bike to work yesterday afternoon. Started it to warm it up, put on the helmet and gloves, sat on the seat and pushed back - it would not move. It was like I had a parking brake on. Got off, looked at the front then under the bike and back - there it was - rear tire flat as a pancake. It's hard to move 900lbs by foot on a flat tire.

Took the car to work and when I returned yesterday evening, put the bike on the jack, shifted to neutral and started spinning the tire - found a nail head in the right side of the treads.

So today, after looking up the mileage on the tire (10,300+ purchased in April 2014) decided to do a quick fix since winter is coming and I'll have time to order a new tire and install before spring. Thinking of going with the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat ($143 today at TireRack).

Took the pliers and started to pull the nail out of the tire. It took more effort than I thought from the little nail head seen in the tire. Here it is:

Maybe this will give you a better idea of it's size:

That thing was 3 inches with a bend in it..... Contractors need to keep those things at the job site and not in the roadways.

I will watch for a sale on that Dunlop and pick it up this winter to get ready for the 2015 riding season.... thats only because 2014 is ending - I'm still riding on all the dry days with temps above 32 degrees..........

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page