Goodsgto - 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Goodsgto - 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

A little late staring this thread but was not sure I would track my new Victory maintenance here... but what the heck.. it worked for the VTX. So I got some catching up to do.

Let's get caught up.

01/19/2013 - Purchased.

Mileage - 1

01/25/2013 Picked up new bike as follows:

The original plan was for Harry and I to ride his bike (2 up) on Saturday 1/26/13 to pick up the bike. High temp for the day was going o be 27 and we were going in the morning - so much cooler then. However, on Friday, 1/25/13 work let me out at 2 pm and it was 45 degrees or over 20 degrees warmer than Saturday morning. So I called Cindy and made arrangements for her to ride with Harry to the dealership so we could pick up the bike and have a drive for each vehicle (2 bikes and a car). The dealer was an hour from my house but only 20 minutes from work. made more sense to have them meet me at that dealer than for me to go all the way back home and then go back to the dealer in rush hour traffic. So reluctantly Cindy agreed to help and ride on Harry's bike. Harry brought Cindy on his bike. It was around 40 degrees and she was bundled up like one of those players in "Little Giants" in all the gear. She was wearing Julie's coat and chaps with my full face helmet.

Harry also brought my riding gear to the dealer. We let Cindy take the car home once she and Harry arrived to help me pick up the bike. She did admit that she enjoyed how Harry's bike rode and when he showed her how to turn down the heated seat - she said "That ain't gonna happen". A great sport and wife.

Harry and pick up the new bike and headed on home. About halfway, I stopped and traded bikes with Harry to let him ride my new bike for helping and let me see it on the road in action. He enjoyed the ride as I did the view of seeing my new bike roll down the highway.

03/16/13 - 500 Mile Service

Mileage - 582 miles

Service performed by Munganest Motorsports - Oil changed, inspection Cost $129
Harry and I had breakfast at Golden Coral - Cost - oh never mind.

05/07/13 - Stereo / Audio upgrade

Mileage - 4,000

Had an amplifier and 4 new Fosgate speakers installed by Audio Ace in Maryland Heights. SOUNDS AWESOME. Cost $800

05/17/13 - 5,000 Mile Service

Mileage - 5,276

Oil changed, belt checked, clutch greased, inspected lines, hoses and nuts and bolts.
Completed by Ray. I did confirm with Victory (manufacturer) that the warranty is not void if the owner does the maintenance but documents and keeps all receipts. Cost $60

05/19/13 - Shorty Antenna installed

Mileage - 5400

Was tired of being poked in the body and eye with the long stock antenna. Replaced with a shorty rubber from O'Reilly's for about $10. Saved the original.

06/05/13 - Center stand installed

Mileage - 6267

Bought a new WitchDoctor center stand on eBay and installed. Cost $200

06/15/2013 - New Atom Bomb pipes

Installed new pipes with harry that sound incredible - not too loud but makes the bike rumble and sound like a motorcycle.

08/08/13 - Rear tire replaced

Mileage - 10,250

Harry noticed that the rear tire was bald and was not going to let me ride without changing it. So I did not have a new tire but decided to remove the car tire from the VTX - Yokohama ENVigor Size 195/55/16 with about 8,500 mile on it and we place this tire on the Victory. We did pretty good replacing the tire for the first time in under 2 hours but left out a spacer and took just under an hour to get the spacer in in correct place.

08/15/13 - Trunk latch replaced

Had a trunk latch that was loose and the hinge pin kept sliding loose. Dealer replaced under warranty.

I think that catches us up on the maintenance, changes and updates to the new Victory.

More to come......

When I ride, it's nuthin' but miles of smiles

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Mods, please delete this traitor's thread

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wngd View Post
Mods, please delete this traitor's thread
I think I might be low on the priority list for the moderators.... There are so many other major contributors out there (with 50,000 + posts) that have made the switch to a new bike. I don't need to name them as we can see who they are as they post and you see the nice new non-Honda motorcycles in their signature line.

I like the group, ride with VTX'rs and have left my VTX patch on my riding vest. It is still a part of me and I plan to continue to contribute to the VTX board.

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

10/20/13 - New Front Tire

Mileage - 13,884

Mark R. stopped by on Saturday to have some balancing beads put in his new rear tire. He and Harry agreed that I should replace the front tire on the Victory since I have one sitting in the garage.

Tire - Bridgestone Battleax BT-45 Sport Touring Rear Tire (Yes - rear tire on the front - Double Darkside).

Stock size - 130/70-18

Downloaded Victory Service manual from a Victory site and printed the page to remove and install the front tire.

The axle was tough to remove - Need to purchase a 5/8 Hex drive socket (or metric equivalent). For today's tire change, we removed the axle with a grade 8 5/8 boll head and 3 nuts on the dent of the bolt. Inserted the bolt head in the axle hex opening and crank on the inside nut that backed up to the other to nuts used as a stop or lock hut. Axle was a little stubborn coming loose but we persuaded it. Had to remove one brake caliper to be able to remove the wheel off the bike.

The old tire came off the wheel easily. However, it took a lot of persuading and bouncing to get the tire to seat to hold air. Used a little extra tire seating gel on the wheel bead inside to get the tire to seat - POP! POP!

Installing the wheel and tire went better than the removal and tire mounting. No extra parts - so this job is done for the next 13,884 miles.

Thanks Harry......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsgto View Post
Mileage - 13,884

Mark R. stopped by on Saturday to have some balancing beads put in his new rear tire. He and Harry agreed that I should replace the front tire on the Victory since I have one sitting in the garage.

Tire - Bridgestone Battleax BT-45 Sport Touring Rear Tire (Yes - rear tire on the front - Double Darkside).

Stock size - 130/70-18

Downloaded Victory Service manual from a Victory site and printed the page to remove and install the front tire.

The axle was tough to remove - Need to purchase a 5/8 Hex drive socket (or metric equivalent). For today's tire change, we removed the axle with a grade 8 5/8 boll head and 3 nuts on the dent of the bolt. Inserted the bolt head in the axle hex opening and crank on the inside nut that backed up to the other to nuts used as a stop or lock hut. Axle was a little stubborn coming loose but we persuaded it. Had to remove one brake caliper to be able to remove the wheel off the bike.

The old tire came off the wheel easily. However, it took a lot of persuading and bouncing to get the tire to seat to hold air. Used a little extra tire seating gel on the wheel bead inside to get the tire to seat - POP! POP!

Installing the wheel and tire went better than the removal and tire mounting. No extra parts - so this job is done for the next 13,884 miles.

Thanks Harry......
Just saw this thread again. I hope you caught the sarcasm in my first post and hence the multiple smileys Nice bike btw

VTX 1800R, QQ drop bags/fender, Street Glide fairing, 8 speakers, Rockford Fosgate amp, Kenwood head unit, custom seat.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Did you change the blinker fluid?

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wngd View Post
Just saw this thread again. I hope you caught the sarcasm in my first post and hence the multiple smileys Nice bike btw
All is good wngd - I have noticed that you appear to have some interest in the Victory Bikes.... Maybe I'll be reading about you and your new bike in the future.

Thanks for clarifying the comment as it was in fun - There are some good folks on this forum and they have owned VTX's at one time and have made numerous contributions - with exception for the fella that is checking to be sure I changed the blinker fluid - of course I changed it with 40 weight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
All is good wngd - I have noticed that you appear to have some interest in the Victory Bikes.... Maybe I'll be reading about you and your new bike in the future.

Thanks for clarifying the comment as it was in fun - There are some good folks on this forum and they have owned VTX's at one time and have made numerous contributions - with exception for the fella that is checking to be sure I changed the blinker fluid - of course I changed it with 40 weight.
Pffffftttt.

You probably used that el cheapo Wal Mart stuff again.

Happiness is a belt-fed weapon
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:

I heavily considered a CC before I bought my current ride. I'm always on the lookout for a customized Valkyrie but it will be a second keep-forever bike. When I trade this X, the Cross Country will get another serious look but I'll want one that has been painted and upgraded a bit although they do have some pretty nice stock paint jobs. I'll also want a look at the new Indian Chieftain and whatever else might come out in the next few years. I hear Yamaha is bringing out a new big bagger in 2015. What do you think of these, I don't want to be in a line and see three of my bikes..... Always end on a high note

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Those are all nice looking Victory's especially the "end on a high note".... one. As I said, you have an interest in Victory's since you were able to post so many great pictures quickly.

The Valkyrie is a great bike. I think Honda made a mistake when they discontinued such a nice bike. I would have considered buying a Valkyrie Interstate if they were still in production today.

Keep looking for your keeper bike - it's out there....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page