'07 VTX 1800 F3 - My First... - Page 2 - VTXOA
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No such luck - seems like something contaminated the base coat. Tank's getting re-sprayed.

On the bright side, I'm switching to custom painted logos on the tank. I'll post a pic when it's done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 03:40 PM

I right there with you on the excitement of getting a "new" 2007 VTX 1800 F3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261761822863....M-4662.R2.TR2

I picked it up for 6500 and its currently being shipped back home. Unfortunately, I can't see it till I get home on April 28th ;(

~Troy
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado30 View Post
I right there with you on the excitement of getting a "new" 2007 VTX 1800 F3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261761822863....M-4662.R2.TR2

I picked it up for 6500 and its currently being shipped back home. Unfortunately, I can't see it till I get home on April 28th ;(

~Troy
Beautiful bike, Troy! Congrats on the great find and beautiful bike! You've already got a lot of great upgrades on the bike making that price amazing!

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Thank you sir. I thought so too and to jump on it. I just hope me buying a bike without actually seeing, hearing, or riding it in person doesn't turn out to be a mess. My father says everything looks good on the bike as it is now sitting in his body shop.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got everything put back together! It's been a long off-season and I definitely made the most of it. Lots of mods, lots of maintenance, and lots of cleaning/polishing.

Bring on the sunny days and spring weather!

WP_20150227_005.jpg

WP_20150227_004.jpg

WP_20150226_002.jpg

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
13,900 miles

Valve noise encouraged me to check the oil, sitting on the low mark. Topped off oil.

Installed Kuryakyn chrome swingarm cover (exhaust side).

Increased decel popping encouraged me to remove and inspect the exhaust. Home-made baffles have disintegrated and disappeared. Installed new copper gaskets and decel popping improved noticeably.

Headlight began tweaking out with the issue obviously in the high/low switch. Took the switch apart and found some of the black plastic of the switch broken off and another spot cracked. Super glue and redneck engineering got the switch cleaned, greased, re-assembled and working.

Fuel mileage is ranging from 37.5 mpg to 39 mpg. The last day long ride (sustained 55-65 mph on highways for majority of the tanks) provided 44.5 mpg.

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
15,300 miles

After having a LEO harass me about my pipes, I went ahead and installed a Smartpartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffle on my HK Sideburners. Very noticeable difference, but maintained the deep sound. After the reviews talking about the screws not holding, I didn't even risk it and I simply welded it in.

Exhaust decel popping is still present, I have a Cobra FI2000R that I will be installing when I get around to it.

post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
15,500 miles

Pulled and inspected/cleaned plugs. Signs of slightly lean/too hot on the two close plugs. Good to go on the two far plugs.

Ordered new Metzeler ME 880 Marathon 180/55ZR-18 for the rear (paid $197.99), ME 888 Marathon Ultra 130/70R-18 H for the front ($161.99) from Motorcycle Superstore with free shipping. "Tire sale" pricing. Installation will wait till my current rear tire is toast. Will use Ride-On again.

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
16,130 miles

New Metzlers installed front and rear. 41 psi front and rear per sidewalls.
Brake pads look good, bearings are smooth, drive flange looks good, wiped out old and reapplied new Moly Paste, new Ride-On.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Winter projects in full swing
  • Tins are off the bike - consulting with my paint guy about the scratches from my pine needle and gravel affair.
  • Wheels are off and beginning the sanding/polishing effort to remove all machining marks and get the aluminum to a mirror shine - pretty deep pitting, so I've started with rough sandpaper. This will take awhile.
  • Mirrors swapped to the rounded version - rectangles passed on to fellow VTX rider
  • Rear fender disassembled - I'm designing a new clean up of the tail end without losing the factory brake light. I actually like that light but the rest is so bulky. Mini bullet signals are on their way and I'm working on a license plate mount that will allow future disassembly if needed. Pics will come.

To Do list:
  • Oil/Filter (going to try out the Shell Rotella this time)
  • Full clean and polish of the rest of the bike
  • Sanding / polishing fork lowers, brake discs, and possibly brake calipers
  • POSSIBLY change out the fork oil - still handles great, I don't have the tool, and I'm worried I won't get everything done before riding weather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page