'07 VTX 1800 F3 - My First... - Page 3 - VTXOA
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
17,210 miles

Finished projects last night. Completed and ready to go as soon as the weather cooperates.
  • Changed oil - Rotella T6 and Purolator Classic
  • Refreshed Moly Paste in rear splines and lubed axles
  • Air pressure set at 41 PSI
  • Installed Cobra FI2000R tuner - starting out at 2-0-0
  • Gear linkage greased
  • Modified rear license plate mount / tail light setup - LED mini bullets
  • Cleaned / polished whole bike
  • Wheels sanded and polished
  • Brake rotors sanded and polished
  • Fork lowers sanded and polished
  • Replaced rectangle mirrors with rounded OEM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-02-26 21.14.30.jpg (143.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-07 15.59.38.jpg (272.8 KB, 41 views)

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
18,400 mi
Changed oil to Amsoil 10w-40
No offense to anyone here, but I did not like the Rotella. While it may have quieted down the gear box for the first couple hundred miles, it just felt like it was working harder. By the time I changed out the oil, it was clunking into first just like normal.
With the Amsoil, she's running just as smooth as ever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
19,300 mi
Fork bearings, seals, and fork oil changed
Clutch fluid and brake fluid flushed
Work completed by Mike's Powersports for reasonable $$, but I'm not happy with the work. Bill (tech) dinged up the aluminum fork lowers and the turn signals were re-installed crooked. Mirrors needed re-adjustment and nearly all chrome/aluminum needed to be thoroughly cleaned due to grease, brake fluid, and dirt/grime.
Ride seems rougher than before. I'm skeptical that the internals are reassembled correctly.
*Lesson learned - buy the special tools needed, learn to do this stuff myself, and schedule the time necessary next time.

post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
20,938 mi (man, what a pathetic amount of miles for the season - da** rain/work/family issues)
Oil filter change only and topped off with Amsoil
Removed Cobra FI2000R
Cleaned and recharged K&N filter
post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:19 PM

MY first

Question, when did ROTELLA start making oil for MOTORCYCLES?????????????:dontk now:
post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsavage View Post
Question, when did ROTELLA start making oil for MOTORCYCLES?????????????:dontk now:
Shell Rotella T6 is a synthetic that's labeled for diesel engines, but it meets the standards for the wet clutch on the VTX. Many members here on the forum use it, but I wasn't impressed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Making good progress...
New tire, new brake pads, fender support fixed, wiring cleaned up, some cleaning and polishing - all done.
Fork seals and progressive springs installed (gotta get those installed on the bike next)....
Bring on spring!

StarrRider likes this.

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To show how I cleaned up the license plate area and rear signals, here comes a bunch of pictures....

After disassembly of the rear fender and support frame, I cut off the lower portion of the frame just above the factory license plate location. The license plate frame was also cut in half so I could re-use the mounting tab. The LED brake light from the factory has a circuit board hanging below the brake light that will be visible through the hole I cut when removing the license plate light mounting area. That black plastic trim cuts very easily with a good carpet knife, just use caution and patience with shallow slow cuts as to focus on keeping them straight and not marring up the plastic.

When removing the factory license plate light housing, I also trimmed the factory black molding to be flush behind the license plate's new location, tucked right under the tail light. Be cautious to allow for the circuit board of the factory LED brake light and its mounting setup. The license plate will mount using the factory bracket (cut in half as shown above) through new holes drilled below the LED brake light bracket.

The new chrome mini bullets - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/214-278 - have a narrow base on them. I filled in this gap with handy dandy rubber furniture bumpers, simply cutting a hole in the center so they act like trim rings.

yellowcolorado30 likes this.

Last edited by nate6966; 06-05-2017 at 02:46 PM.
post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More pics...

You can see the gold-ish bolts that are in new holes I drilled for the license plate itself. This section of license plate mounting bracket was cut from the factory bracket. Make it straight and align it so the plate tucks just below the factory brake light and covers the hole in the black plastic trim piece.
The new signals will be wired directly into the factory signal wiring and routed with the rest of the wiring harness under the rear fender.

The rubber furniture pads will fit flush on the black trim ring. They've performed for more than 12 months without fading.

You can see the size difference between the factory signals and these mini bullets. The factory license plate light was replaced with this LED license plate frame - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/340-800 - wired into the factory harness.

yellowcolorado30 likes this.

Last edited by nate6966; 06-05-2017 at 02:53 PM.
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's the rubber grips that cost me $2 but made the whole mod come together in a finished look.

Fishingfoolemjak likes this.

Last edited by nate6966; 06-05-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page