Night Watchman 1300C (New rider, July 2014) - Page 2 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkcat View Post
Would it not be better (no mechanic, just a heavy reader of forum) to Go to lighter oil in forks???
Low fork oil could cause heavy foaming and ruin the ride and wear forks rapidly??????

I am more asking then suggesting as I dont know much about forks/shocks etc at all...

Sorry for not seeing this until now! It's been a busy winter. I'm in the same boat and not an expert on forks either, but that seems like it would make sense. I think that adjusting the fork oil level would be an easier way to fine tune the forks, rather than changing out different weights of fork oil.

04 VTX 1300C

“It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.”
-Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

It's been about 6 months now, and the front suspension feels like its settled into where the firmness is going to stay. It's definitely, noticeably stiffer than what it was, but there's WAY more control of the front wheel and no more rocking horse when slowing down or stopping.

Installed LED headlight. Love it so far, but still need to adjust it.

04 VTX 1300C

“It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.”
-Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Night Watchman; 03-15-2016 at 07:31 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Watchman View Post

New fuel line and vacuum lines
The generic fuel line I installed ended up being pinched at the petcock, so I ordered and installed an OEM fuel line that was already shaped the way it needed to be.

04 VTX 1300C

-Ronald Reagan

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

8/28/2016

Took out the alarm system. It kept killing my battery and I finally moved into a new place that had a garage, so there was no more need to have the alarm.

Also, (as expected) I replaced the battery. Even though it was technically 1 month past its warranty timeline, the shop replaced it with a brand new one.

04 VTX 1300C

-Ronald Reagan
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

So, when I worked at a bicycle shop for a few years, Kenda was one of the best brand of tires that we had (out of about 15 different brands that we sold). So I bought Kenda tires for my VTX awhile back.

.....last week, I noticed there are "bubbles" below the surface of the front tire, so I'm thinking there is some delamination between the plies. I will probably be looking into getting Commander II tires and be done with it. But for now, my baby is parked in the garage for a while

04 VTX 1300C

-Ronald Reagan
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

46084 miles today. Been working on the X over the past 6 days:

Got the new tire installed today. Went with a Pirelli Route 66. Now to break it in.

Adjusted the valves.

Replaced the headlight.

Completely cleaned the turn signal switch.

Cleaned the spark plugs. They were fouled up REALLY BAD!!!! I knew I was running rich, but I wasn't able to get everything dialed in where I wanted it, so I decided to clean everything and start over from square one.

Tore the carb all the way down and cleaned every bit of it!!! Found a shim, so I reset my carb to the following:
58 pilot
215 main
3rd clip plus 1 shim
2.5 turns

The bike fired right up, even while being cold!!! It's never fired up that quickly and run so smooth after sitting for a while! Put fresh gas in it and went for a quick spin.

So I'm still weak on the low end, but the top end pulls hard! Twisting the throttle from an idle makes it hiccup/sputter before it starts revving up like it should. The issue started going away as the bike warmed up, so I think I'm close. Some more needle and A/F fiddling to do.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM

Garage
Where did you get the helmet lock relocation kit. Please reply and thanks in advance NICE BIKE Joe

My real name is Joe My bike is a 2002 VTX 1800 R Ultimate low rider seat with his and hers back rests 10,000 miles
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet35 View Post
Where did you get the helmet lock relocation kit. Please reply and thanks in advance NICE BIKE Joe
Hey bud! Sorry for the late response (I'm not very active on this forum, and I periodically miss the notifications).

From my understanding (and I could be wrong) I think the Hondaline saddlebag brackets can come either with or without the relocation option. The one I have with my bike, the helmet lock that is normally installed on your fender can be installed directly to the saddlebag bracket.

04 VTX 1300C

-Ronald Reagan
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I finally did the Spyker mod on April 13th. I had the parts sitting in a box from when I did my computer, but just never got around to it.

There wasn't too much of a change in throttle response, but there was a change nonetheless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170509_164813_1494374395406.jpg (402.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20170422_190834_1494374568315.jpg (445.6 KB, 5 views)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

....soooo many things to update......

Blacked out the engine (pics and thread to come later)

New exhaust gaskets

New rear wheel bearings and flange bearings
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-13...ng-victim.html

Coolant flush

Cleaned the turn signal switch contacts and housing

Also, apparently I didn't update this a while ago, but the LED headlight I went with died, so I've been running my usual Sylvania ZXE bulbs since.

If I can think of any others, I'll add them.

04 VTX 1300C

-Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page