3Likes
  • 2 Post By JPT
  • 1 Post By JPT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Jpt - 2009 vtx 1300r

Based on the advice of Hans&Feet, I am creating a tread where I will post all my mods.

I picked up a 2009 VTX 1300R with 6,500 miles on it for $4,600 and sold my 2005 Kawasaki ZX12r. This is my first Honda, after owning 4 Kawasaki's over the years.

This is how it sat at the dealership:

I started by adjusting the rear suspension (the original owner had it sitting at the lowest setting, with very little air pressure). From my research, it should be between 80 - 200 psi. I set it to 110 psi. I ordered a high pressure hand pump from Amazon:

From there, I added some saddle bags (not sure of the brand/model as I ordered it from the dealer when I purchased the bike):

At the same time, they installed speakers, Kuryakyn sounds of chrome. These are the non-Bluetooth model. I also added a Ram mount x-grip and wired a USB to accessories. Because I have an iPhone x without the 3.5mm port, I have a lightning to lightning/3.5mm adapter to charge and play music. I added velcro to the back of my phone case, and to the Ram mount. I have since changed the velcro to black, so it is less obvious.

I ordered a black DayMaker kit from Backyard Air Suspension. I initially was going to go with the competition, but after all the bad reviews, I opted to go with them, and I'm very happy I did. The adapter ring is very heavy duty, had great welds, and a good paint job.

This setup does not allow head light adjustment, their suggestion was to get 3/4" washers, cut them in half, and mount them under the headlight bracket. I think my lights are slightly too high for night time driving, but, it isn't bad enough that it is dangerous to oncoming traffic, but I am a perfectionist with lighting. After my motorcycle trip this weekend, I will mess with it a little.

I have done several HID projector setups on several vehicles (including my 2015 Ram), I have to say this was literally a 5 minute install, and projects almost as good lighting and was 1/4 of the cost (1/2 the cost is expected since it is only one headlight). I already can not imagine going back to the factory halogen setup.
Hans&Feet and steveroy60 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 AM

Cool

Nice looking ride.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
I picked up a corbin touring seat from a member here. Came with the 2 adjustable larger back rests:

The corbin design uses the rear passenger bolt to lock it down. So I decided to use this seat only for trips, and when going 2 up. It's easy enough to swap it back between the factory seat (using it solo).

Before swapping back to the solo seat, I did the Seat Pin Mod (https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/diy.../seat-pin-mod/)

I also installed a set of Easy Brackets to get rid of the strap going across the fender. Here are the mounting points on the fender (as you can see, the previous owner did some fender damage that I will have to address at some point):

Removed the strap going across the bags, and bolted the bracket to the bags. I didn't have too much room to go lower, so this is about as low as I felt comfortable:

So, here is how it looks, solo seat, and easy brackets:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
I have put on Progressive front fork springs, and replaced those rear piggyback shocks with a set of low mileage OEM shocks. It is MUCH better, no more bottoming out, and it rides smooth even riding 2 up.

I also put on some kuryakyn passenger floor boards:

I mainly wanted to check to see the condition of the bike, and if you are going through the steps, might as well replace:

Changed spark plugs - Stock plugs looked fine for a carbureted vehicle, replaced with same OEM plugs
Final Drive Oil Change - Stock oil looked fine, replaced with Royal Purple, I think next go around it will be Mobil 1.

Glens Garage gas cap hinge:

Glens Garage clutch assist. I have to say, this is NIIIIICE. Even if you don't hit traffic like I do in Long Island, this is how the bike should have come. I also took the time to lube the clutch cable, grabbed my cable lube tool and some spray cable lube:

Last edited by JPT; 08-21-2018 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
My iphone cable with wired USB port wasn't working, so I pulled the tank and ran a new cable. I also remove the wiretap the shop used and soldered the connection. I also swapped sides on my kuryakyn sound of chrome speakers (the dealer installed the speaker with the volume on the right side, so I have to remove my hand off the gas to adjust). I took the opportunity to space them further out.

Since I had the gas tank off, and had Glen's garage permanent mount A/F screw, I went ahead and installed it. I have to say, who the eff thought it was a good idea to engineer the screw in the position it was. The tool worked well, but I will say it was almost impossible to get the tool into place. Then, it was next to impossible to reattach the two air box hoses. What a job for someone who has meat hooks for hands.

I warmed the bike up turned the idle all the way down, and played with the A/F screw, I think I have it dialed in. Once I was done, I raised the idle just a hair. Seems to be good now.

2009 VTX1300R
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:19 PM

Nice work. Looking through your thread, I've got some ideas.

How is the Daymaker and the aim of the light? Did you end up putting washers under the mount?

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Nice work. Looking through your thread, I've got some ideas.

How is the Daymaker and the aim of the light? Did you end up putting washers under the mount?
Thanks!

The aim is off... I will be adding washers some day soon, I just havenít bothered yet. I couldnít go back to the factory lights.
smurfy71 likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
A lot has happened since I last updated this thread...

Harbor Freight Aluminum Motorcycle Jack
Redline Stand
Pair Valve Removed
VTXparts Blockoff Plates (with dimple)
Daymaker adjustable light bracket
Cobra light bar with 4.5" daymaker touring lights
LED Switchback front indicators
Tsukayu Batwing Fairing with 350W Nakamichi Bridged Amp
Polk Audio MM692 450W Speakers
Directional indicators installed in batwing fairing for better visibility
Longrideshields 8" batwing fairing windshield
Ultimate Bigboy Seat with backrest
Solo Seat Luggage Rack

Here are some of the pictures of the above goodies/mods:

Jack and Stand:

Lightbar, daymaker adjustable bracket, daymaker touring lights, switchback front indicators:

Batwing Fairing, Indicator signals, Polk Audio Speakers, GPS Unit, Ultimate Bigboy Seat:

This was designed for the 1800, I had to redrill the rearmost hole for the 1300. I will probably put a flagpole through hat hole.

2009 VTX1300R
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Roadhouse 2:1 exhaust with serrated heat shield. New old inventory. Added a Arlen Ness Big Sucker air intake. Since I did the air intake, I did a Factory Pro Jet Kit (220 Main, 58 slow, needle on the highest position - 5th slot, and glen's garage A/F permanent screw 2 out). I'm sure I will have to tweak the exhaust in the spring/summer, but for now, when warm, it idles, and responds to throttle without a dip in RPM's.

2009 VTX1300R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page