Oil.. - VTXOA
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Oil..

I’m going to be very careful how I word this because I know when the topic of the “O” word comes up ppl loose it, friendships are lost & everyone seems to get their shorts in a knot & sometimes bare knuckle brawls arise… (I was just kidding about the last part &#x1f60a

I would like to ask what brand of oil+ the weight you’re using & also what change intervals? Yes I know that as long as it’s not “energy conserving” There are many good synthetics out there.

Right now I’m running Motul 7100 in a 10W40 weight. My X runs great, gears are quiet , smooth & I honestly have no complaints except for one thing….. The price! It costs me approx. $85.00 a gallon (actually 4 liters cz a Gallon is 3.78L) albeit this is Canadian funds so it may be cheaper for most of you in the US, I’m looking for other options.

I heard & read some positive reviews about Mobil 1 4T, Rotella T6 , Amsoil & Royal Purple to name just a few.

Please keep in mind I’m not asking for debates or arguments, just your feedback based on your experiences if you’ve dabbled in different engine lubricants. I know sometimes ppl will just respond by saying “keep using what you’re using if it works” but I’d like something slightly more thought provoking than that sort of generic answer.

I really don’t have any brand loyalty to any company & the only reason I stuck to Motul is because the previous owner said that’s all he used & never had any issues. I’m pretty open minded & if there’s anything just as good or even better I’m game to try something else provided it’s a little more reasonably priced.
Curt E likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:23 PM

At the high end, Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oil.

At the cost conscious level, Rotella T4 15W40.

What's the difference? Well one costs significantly more than the other. If you change your oil regularly and pay attention to how you use your bike, ie, riding in very dusty conditions vs on the slab or in town, then there ios absolutely no difference but price. For a liquid cooled bike, people put way too oil much thought into oil, IMO. Some experience different shifting characteristics with different oils, or different clutch feel, and that's when you need to decide which you want to use. Some here use Walmart house oil and their bikes haven't blown up yet. There is a lot of information in that message alone.

When I had my VTX I used everything from Amsoil 10W40 bike oil to Rotella T3 (the forerunner of T4) 15W40. It all worked really well. I used Amsoil especially if I had a long trip scheduled. I wasn't sure if I would exceed the factory recommended drain interval. BUT, if IO were being completely honest, if someone else did the oil change, and put one or the other in, they could have lied to me about brand and I would have believed them. An air cooled bike is a bit different, but the VTX is happiest with regular service, regardless of brand. That said, 10W40 is what you need. Rotella 15W40 is fine for the summer or unless you plan on starting your bike cold in freezing temps. Anything 0W40, 5W40, 10W40, 15W40 should be fine. Part ofd the secret too is making sure it is JASO MA or JASO M2 rated. Many use oil that is not and their clutches are fine, but unless it's so rated, you don't really know for certain. Just my opinion.
Curt E, StarrRider and jbrittjr like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Garage
Always used Rotella T6 with no issues. Change oil yearly as I have appx 5-7K miles on it. I've tried them all. I started on Rotella since I got the X.
Oil shear (engine & trans shared) is my biggest concern..

Last edited by Curt E; 01-31-2019 at 03:51 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:52 PM

Yes........

LOL

Okay. The VTX is new to me and I have not yet changed the oil. In my Shadow I used the Honda GN oil for much of the time I owned it, switching to Shell T6, after much research, last season. I noted that the shifting felt smoother. I did not notice any other positive or adverse affects. T6 will be going in the VTX in the spring.
Curt E likes this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM

Garage
Mobile One.. full synthetic 10w40 automotive oil.. and Fram oil filter...

since 3,000 miles NEW.. 85,000 currently, and doing fine..

no explosion. no knocks. no loss of oil..

every 10,000 miles or once a year... since the 3,000 mile mark.

same with the past Goldwing.. 90,000 miles
same with the past Goldwing before that.. 149,000 miles..

all 3 bikes from New.

my unprofessional Opinion.

REMEMBER the 3,000 mile oil change..

was Made for when engines did NOT have oil filters..
it was dino oil.. crude oil.. just stuff out of the ground and filtered.

any Name brand... at the price you can afford... and meets Honda spec's.
rangers4u and gfund9958 like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 01-31-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=chuck_VTX F;4576092]Mobile One.. full synthetic 10w40 automotive oil.. and Fram oil filter...

since 3,000 miles NEW.. 85,000 currently, and doing fine..

no explosion. no knocks. no loss of oil..

every 10,000 miles or once a year... since the 3,000 mile mark.

same with the past Goldwing.. 90,000 miles
same with the past Goldwing before that.. 149,000 miles..

all 3 bikes from New.

my unprofessional Opinion.

REMEMBER the 3,000 mile oil change..

was Made for when engines did NOT have oil filters..
it was dino oil.. crude oil.. just stuff out of the ground and filtered.

I guess it's not an energy conserving oil and is okay for wet clutches?
I made the classic mistake many years ago of putting automotive oil in my Honda Shadow. I had no idea it was not compatible with wet clutches hence I thought I needed a new clutch.
I felt the slippage almost immediately.
chuck_VTX F and rangers4u like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjo1340 View Post

I guess it's not an energy conserving oil and is okay for wet clutches?
I made the classic mistake many years ago of putting automotive oil in my Honda Shadow. I had no idea it was not compatible with wet clutches hence I thought I needed a new clutch.
I felt the slippage almost immediately.

correct.. please read the little round label... as long as label does NOT say energy conserving

its good for the wet clutch.
rangers4u likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Garage
Mobile 1 10/40... Currently K&N filter, but $ decides that.. Change about 10K miles....
Look for sales to save $ between changes...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM

I change around 6000 miles with T6. I never check oil between changes just mileage and then do it all again. Usually $21 for a gal here at wallymart. I believe the most important thing to remember is that you be accurate in adding the exact amount of oil your bike calls for. Won't hurt to be just a smidgin over but try and make sure you hit the mark next time.

Double check the best way to check your oil level after it has warmed up.

It takes me 10 minutes to purchase oil/filter.
30 minutes to change oil and clean up.
Less than $30 and 40 minutes of my time total, is in my opinion, an excellent investment in the lifeblood of my toy and my peace of mind.
cokerb likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:59 PM

i change it with Rotella every 3-4000 miles
only cost 20 bucks and a little time.
.well worth the investment in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page