Myrtle Beach, SC - City council doesn't Want Bike Rallies - Page 3 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:26 AM

Re: Myrtle Beach, SC - City council doesn't Want Bike Rallies

They should put it up to a vote, for the people of MB. I for one will not go back to MB for any reason. And the rallies could relocate to another city.

My problem with elected officals is that they don't listen to the mojority, they listen to who ever is loudest and willing to put money in thier pockets or do them favors.

As for the new laws. they will not stand.

But they also need to realize that pissing off too many tourist is going to come back an haunt them. Alot of people don't just go to MB for the rallies only.

Donnie Aiken
05 VMAX ( Son's Bike)
06 ST 1300A, 08 Hayabusa
"Riding a Honda and Proud of it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002_1800C
Here is where the problem lies. The majority of MB tax payers WANT the rallies here. When Mayor Rhodes was campaigning he was all for the rallies because it has always been a hot topic. McBride was against them. Now 6 individuals took it upon themselves to get rid of them. This was not the majority speaking, this was 6 INDIVIDUALS speaking for a minority of residents.
Maybe, maybe not. I mean if their elected officials are able to get away with this then it's not so cut and dry as to say which way the majority falls on this issue. It's easy to scapegoat six politicians, but those politicians evidently have support from at least some of the people. Is it a majority, I don't know.

But If the majority of people in MB are against the ordinances and in favor of the rallies, then it's up to them to make their voices heard. They can do this any number of ways, from holding a referendum on the ordinances, voting out the city officials, protesting, or down right ignoring the regulations.

But until they make clear what the majority wants, their elected officials have the obligation and the right to do what they feel is in the best interests of the people. And if they fail in that task, then it is the right and obligation of the people to take them out of office.

Quote:
Outlawing the rallies is not fictional. Why do you think these laws were placed into effect? To get rid of the rallies. you really think they put a helmet law in effect because they were worried about biker's safety? They bluntly state the real reason for these laws is to get rid of the rallies. True they can't outlaw the rally, but they found a way around it.
You have a point and it is a correct one. MB has been hassling the bikers during the rallies for a long while now. As a result, almost all the activities have moved out of the city limits, down towards Surfside beach and up towards North MB. It's a shame that it has come to this.

Quote:
Nothing about the rallies infringes on other's rights. It may make it inconvenient for a couple weeks, but that's part of living in a tourist town.
I disagree. For instance, let's say you had a noisy neighbor that love to party several nights of the week all through the night. He had a huge party with loud music, drunken people carrying on every night, while you were trying to sleep. Now, I'm not against an occassional party, but if this is going on while I'm trying to sleep so I can go to work the next day and earn a living, it is infringing upon my rights.

All I'm saying is that the people of MB have tolerated these rallies for years. It's not just an inconvenience for them, it is a downright hassle I am sure. This is not just a case of some politicians overreaching their power and trying to be mean to the biker community. To presume that would just be adolescent and childish. If ten thousand bikers came to my city four times a year on their noise makers, tearing up the streets, getting rip-roaring drunk, and doing all the fun stuff we like to occasionally participate in at bike rallies, I'd probably get ticked off after a while. And telling them they have no choice but to put up with it because it's a tourist town is bunk. When we as bikers go to their city for a rally, we are mostly visitors. We mostly don't live there, and we mostly don't have any say in how they run the city. We ought to behave better while we're there, but sometimes we don't live up to that. And at some point, I think it's okay to politely ask an obnoxious visitor that has over-stayed his welcome to leave.

Quote:
I guess we just disagree on how much power the government should have over our day to day lives. If it isn't breaking existing laws, or endangering people's lives then the government should keep their nose out of it. If everything that annoyed people was outlawed, we wouldn't be a free country.
If that's how you truly feel then I suppose we do disagree. I believe that people elect governments because they have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I don't believe in anarchy and lawlessness. I don't believe the only good laws are the ones that keep people from getting killed either. I believe the people of a city have the right do what they need to do to have the type of lives that they want, as long as it doesn't infringe upon my rights.

2005 VTX1800F, HK 2-1 Sideburners, K&N Air filter

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkedItUp
If that's how you truly feel then I suppose we do disagree. I believe that people elect governments because they have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I don't believe in anarchy and lawlessness. I don't believe the only good laws are the ones that keep people from getting killed either. I believe the people of a city have the right do what they need to do to have the type of lives that they want, as long as it doesn't infringe upon my rights.
You make some good points. I don't disagree with all of them. But where does it stop? Senior week is a nightmare around here. Drunk kids everywhere, traffic backed up, loud radios, loud pipes, underage drinking, fights, murders, e.t.c. So do they start putting up nuisence laws about teenagers gathering in parking lots? Maybe some laws about beach gatherings being a nuisence? No, we deal with it and enforce the existing laws. If the existing laws are enforced, there is no issue.

2002 1800C Illusion Red 205/65 Michelin Hydroedge DARKSIDER!

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
You make some good points. I don't disagree with all of them. But where does it stop? Senior week is a nightmare around here. Drunk kids everywhere, traffic backed up, loud radios, loud pipes, underage drinking, fights, murders, e.t.c. So do they start putting up nuisence laws about teenagers gathering in parking lots? Maybe some laws about beach gatherings being a nuisence? No, we deal with it and enforce the existing laws. If the existing laws are enforced, there is no issue.
You also make a good point here. And really, it is the same point I attempted to make here the other day regarding the ordinances. That point is that they are a slippery slope for all of us bikers in the state of South Carolina. If MB is allowed to set precedence with a helmet law inside our state which has essentially rejected helmet laws for adults, it is problematic for all South Carolina bikers. Same goes for the exhaust pipe ordinance.

My point is that now, instead of dealing with the real problem facing them (which is a problem they have proper authority to deal with) the city of MB is instead impinging upon my rights as a South Carolina biker.

But if they outlaw the rallies, where does it stop? Well, I think that is up for the people of MB to decide. What is not up to them to decide is whether or not I should have to wear a helmet anywhere in this state.

2005 VTX1800F, HK 2-1 Sideburners, K&N Air filter

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 AM

Well, hopefully the lawsuits which are already in progress will do some good. I am most against the same two laws you are (helmet and exhaust) mainly because it effects me everyday when I ride to work. I'm just also against saying that a group of people gathering in a parking lot is against the law if they happen to be on motorcycles (and doing nothing else wrong).

We'll see how it goes, come on 2009 elections!!!!!

2002 1800C Illusion Red 205/65 Michelin Hydroedge DARKSIDER!

post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 PM

MB rules

I don't understand it at all. 1st point- Look at the times the rallies are held. All 4 are scheduled during off-season times( which would boost revenue during these times). 2nd point- the city of MB has raised taxes earmarking them for use in finding reasons to deter the rallies( deters vacationers from spending money at the local shops). 3rd point- penalizing the business owners for having to call the police for assistance for disturbances. The residents and business' of MB pay the salaries of the police force then get penalized for using what they pay for (If I were a business owner there I would have to consider moving my business somewhere else) All of this equals up to lost revenue for Myrtle Beach. Do you really think the majority of the residents are ok with this? Common sense would lead anyone with a brain to believe otherwise. Just my opinion!

Robbie
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 AM

What's up now, I was down there 1 mo. ago and it sounds like I will not go back for Bike week I'll have to move on to other places.

Coke Man

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
03VTX1800R, Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger, PC III, V&H Big Shots, K&N Filter, Switchblade 2up, Aeromach 4" Risers, Paladin Backrest w/Luggage rack , National Hard saddle bags,Mustang seat, GARMIN Quest GPS, Belt. Pro GX65 R/L Detector, Dauntless Hitch
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 AM

http://www.myrtlebeachbikerinfo.com/faq.html

more false info put out with tax payers money!
(QUOTE: by the mayor;
At this time, SC 31, the Carolina Bays Parkway, is completely outside the Myrtle Beach City limits.)

so it looks like they are going to try to move the city limits so to recoup some of the tax dollars they lost...

This would impact my mortage..
bunch of F-----g scumbags in the city limits...

http://www.ilads.org/ http://www.lymedisease.org/home.html
Power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts ultimately. Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 of the United States Constitution "The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance."

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to hrca0434sc Send a message via MSN to hrca0434sc Send a message via Yahoo to hrca0434sc
read tghis before you go

Hi all,
I am sending this email out to everyone in my address book. I realize that only some of you are bikers. I am hoping that you may know someone that is or maybe someone in your address book may know someone who is. PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK PLEASE.
Myrtle beach has launched a new website to deter people from coming to the grand strand during the bike rally in may. The website is mbbikerinfo.com . DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ ON THIS SITE. MOST OF THE INFO IS FALSE. THERE WILL BE A SPRING RALLY IN MAY 2009 HERE ON THE GRAND STRAND. There will be no activities sponsored by myrtle beach in the city limits. The city limits never had a lot of sponsored activities going on. The majority of bike week events take place out side the city. There will be plenty of activities going on within Horry county as normal. Nothing has changed. THE SPRING RALLY WILL BE MAY 8th - 17th 2009. If you want current and up to date and correct info on the rally, please check out one of the following sites.
www.myrtlebeachharley.com www.mbbikeweeks.com www.ibiker.org These sites will provide you with truthful information about the rally. You will also find truthful information about the new myrtle beach city ordinances that only come in to effect within the city limits of myrtle beach. Donʼt worry, there are plenty of ways around the city limits to get to wear you need to go. You should also be able to find hotel and condo rental info on these sites that are out side of the city. www.cherylchristopher.com is a site for surfside reality.
AGAIN, PLEASE SEND THIS OUT TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. This email needs to get out all over this country, Canada, and the world. You would be surprised, but I have met people from many different countries here on the grand strand during bike week.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND PLEASE RIDE SAFE.

Live long and prosper and remember to always speak your mind.
Gary Balcom Assistant Coordinator Horry County ABATE

Ron (Horseman) Gratton
www.RD-Ranch.com
Bike & Music Events
www.RD-Ranch.com/Events.html
A.B.A.T.E. of SC #0166
VFW Post 641 #5745597
DAV Chpt.13(Life) #390138960123
H.O.G. #US2346169
AMA #282188

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to hrca0434sc Send a message via MSN to hrca0434sc Send a message via Yahoo to hrca0434sc
this is the news for this rally:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/142/story/766703.html
News - Local Sunday, Feb. 01, 2009 Bikers unite for rallies, stand defiant against Myrtle Beach By Robert Morris - [email protected]
ATLANTIC BEACH -- Though they were defending separate rallies, representatives of black and white biker groups united in a defiant stand Saturday against what they see as a common enemy: harsh laws and negative publicity from the city of Myrtle Beach.
"This ain't a white issue about white rallies. This ain't a black issue about black rallies," said Rick Walls, a member of the Patriot Guard Riders who normally attends early May's Harley-Davidson spring rally. "This is a civil-rights issue for both colors."
A group of about 25 bikers, representing a half-dozen or so motorcycle clubs, parked their Harley cruisers and Japanese sport bikes together under a small stand of trees outside the Atlantic Beach Town Hall on Saturday afternoon to issue their message: May's rallies will go on.
Sport motorcycles and cruisers are parked in an open lot by the town hall of Atlantic Beach during a press conference on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009. The bikers announced Memoiral Day Bikefest is still going to happen in spite of Myrtle Beach's recent ordinances limiting vendor spaces and helmet rules. Photo by Janet Blackmon Morgan / [email protected] Bikers rally in Atlantic Beach
See more biker coverage "We are not going to lay down to the city of Myrtle Beach," said Hakim Harrell, an event promoter from Philadelphia. "Our message to the city of Myrtle Beach is, you should be thankful. These events helped build the city of Myrtle Beach."
The show of unity comes after many area governments, led by the city of Myrtle Beach, enacted new rules to limit the scope of May's two major motorcycle rallies - the 10-day Harley-Davidson spring rally, which attracts a mostly white crowd, and Memorial Day weekend's Atlantic Beach Bikefest, which is popularly known as Black Bike Week.
Saying that the two events' half-million visitors overwhelm the city, Myrtle Beach passed 15 new laws last fall, including helmet requirements and decibel limits, and it has a new Web site stating that this year the city "will no longer host motorcycle rallies." Horry County is debating restricting vendors, which nearby Surfside Beach banned outright for two years.
On Saturday, both groups touted the heritage of their rallies: The Harley rally is 69 years old, and the Atlantic Beach Bikefest began in 1980. John Glover, president of the Carolina Knight Riders club that started the Atlantic Beach event, said neither rally is Myrtle Beach's to end.
"Now they want to pull the plug on the bike rallies," Glover said. "I'd like everyone to know, there's more to the Grand Strand than Myrtle Beach."
In their promises to come to this year's rally, the bikers uniformly said they would avoid Myrtle Beach. To some degree, that is part of the city's goal, said Myrtle Beach city spokesman Mark Kruea in a phone call afterward.
"The city has said it doesn't want to be the focus of these rallies," Kruea said. "If these rallies go elsewhere, Myrtle Beach would be happy."
At the event, many of the motorcyclists said their good works and charity fundraisers during the rallies are ignored. Instead, Myrtle Beach city officials chose to blame violence and misbehavior by local teens and spectators along Ocean Boulevard on bikers, said Violet "Heels" Lucas of the Horry-Georgetown Bikers Association.
"A lot of the people on the Boulevard aren't bikers, but we're stigmatized by their reputation," said Lucas, noting that she doesn't visit Ocean Boulevard at all during rallies.
Myrtle Beach and bikers attempted to plan the rally together in years past, but the city spokesman said rally organizers were unwilling to shorten the rallies - leading to the city's new, harsher position against them. Individual bikers only spend a week or so at a time at the rallies, so they do not realize the events' cumulative effect, Kruea said.
"If we were talking about three or four days for each one, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation," he said. "We're talking about 20 straight days of motorcycle rallies, and that is too much for the city."
Although the event was held on the front lawn of Atlantic Beach Town Hall, none of the town's four elected officials were present, and the only town employee there was Police Chief Randy Rizzo. Mayor Retha Pierce has been hospitalized since feeling chest pains while waiting for a court hearing Thursday, but spokesman Mustafa Abdullah of Conway said at the event that Pierce supports the bikers.
Rizzo, who said he was not informed of the gathering beforehand, said he is waiting on the Atlantic Beach Town Council to give him some direction on this year's rally, so he can begin coordinating law enforcement with other agencies.
"Their decision is vital," Rizzo said. "They're going to have the bike rallies whether anybody sponsors it or not."
Representatives from Myrtle Beach are set to speak to the Atlantic Beach Town Council at their Monday night meeting about the Bikefest, town officials said. Contacted by phone, Councilman Donnell Thompson said he is waiting to hear their comments before he decides how to proceed.
"This is a time when we can work with our neighbors," Thompson said.
In years past, costly contracts with promoters and entertainers created deep debts the town has yet to climb out of, but in 2008, former town manager Charles Williams restricted the town's involvement to support for the officers in town, providing portable toilets and hiring cleanup crews afterward. Interim Town Manager Kenneth McIver said he will recommend the council continue that approach.
"From a financial standpoint, we don't have it to spend. We cannot do a lot," McIver said. "We just don't want to incur any more debt."
Thompson agreed that the town's spending should be minimal, unlike the lavish plans of the past.
"I don't think we should ever go in that direction again," Thompson said. "We shouldn't put the town out where we spend a bunch of money and don't know if it's going to come back in."
Contact ROBERT MORRIS at 626-0294.

Ron (Horseman) Gratton
www.RD-Ranch.com
Bike & Music Events
www.RD-Ranch.com/Events.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page