phone for gps - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

phone for gps

Don't you have trouble seeing the screen in bright daylight? The Garmin I could see pretty well and may continue using it, but not sure if it is lost in my move. Will see when bike arrives soon. Besides I have a cigarette light plug at handlebar, wire under tank to the back connected to battery. Like the idea of phone using my Bluetooth through helmet.

Last edited by maurice2; 09-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:34 PM

That sun is pretty bright around here. I bought a handlebar bracket for my bike and will be sticking a Samsung phone in it. My maps are all offline so no data or wireless usage required just GPS. But if I can't see the phone hopefully I can hear the dialog using blue-tooth earbuds.

Not sure if I can get my head, with earbuds, all crammed in the bucket but that is what I hope will happen.

Hope your bike gets here soon and with everything intact.

When you are young you want what everyone else has . . when you are old you want what everyone else had.
D. Lee Schulte I ride a Honda because Toyota doesn't make motorcycles. 2005 VTX 1800N3 (black)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerothermic View Post
That sun is pretty bright around here. I bought a handlebar bracket for my bike and will be sticking a Samsung phone in it. My maps are all offline so no data or wireless usage required just GPS. But if I can't see the phone hopefully I can hear the dialog using blue-tooth earbuds.

Not sure if I can get my head, with earbuds, all crammed in the bucket but that is what I hope will happen.

Hope your bike gets here soon and with everything intact.
That's pretty much what I thought, just listen to dialog directions. Luckily I have blue tooth built in my helmet so no extra room needed.

Bike delivery delayed as shipper backed out 4 hrs before pickup with family emergency, mom had heart attack. Yikes.
Another 5 days I should see it. Said he was treating bike like it was his own. We will see. Thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Garage
What kind of mount are y'all using?

2004 VTX1300C
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Old Goat

Ive a gps hardwired to the bike...served me well...now that I have all these health problems but still want to ride and stay in touch with Dr.s...I put a slick little all metal phone mount on the bike...no Bluetooth setup....looks great but cant see it or hear it....LOL.....good luck on choice...

May go to earbuds if I choose to listen to pandora....

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 09-03-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice2 View Post
Don't you have trouble seeing the screen in bright daylight? The Garmin I could see pretty well and may continue using it, but not sure if it is lost in my move. Will see when bike arrives soon. Besides I have a cigarette light plug at handlebar, wire under tank to the back connected to battery. Like the idea of phone using my Bluetooth through helmet.
I do have trouble seeing it at times, mostly when the sun is behind me and shining directly on the phone. I use a Uclear BT communicator, paired to my iPhone. I mostly use it to listen to music, but the turn by turn directions also come through. I like being able to hear it more than being able to see it, as it alerts me to upcoming turns well in advance. I also have a Garmin GPS I use at times when I know the signal on my phone will be poor, I have the same issue seeing it when the sun is behind me. I can also pair it with my Uclear, but then can't use the phone to listen to music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
RAM mounts for both the phone and GPS.
Curt E and RScottie like this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:08 PM

Garage
Using WAZE on phone for GPS. A bike mount, and a cord that plugs into my battery tender pigtail.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt E View Post
Using WAZE on phone for GPS. A bike mount, and a cord that plugs into my battery tender pigtail.

https://www.amazon.com/Widras-Univer...80112324&psc=1
Curt, are you using pigtail so that you don't run the phone battery down? Otherwise why not just use the phone not connected to anything?
Curt E likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
I have a "Homeasy Plus 6" that will be going on the bike this weekend. Good reviews less than $15 delivered IIRC. See link below. I didn't want a bunch of rubber bands and plastic balls holding my phone. Just not the look I was after. This is simple, clean and cheap.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1...one-mount.html

When you are young you want what everyone else has . . when you are old you want what everyone else had.
D. Lee Schulte I ride a Honda because Toyota doesn't make motorcycles. 2005 VTX 1800N3 (black)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice2 View Post
Curt, are you using pigtail so that you don't run the phone battery down? Otherwise why not just use the phone not connected to anything?
Yes. All GPS programs eat battery power fast..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page