2004 VTX 1300 takes long time to warm up - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
SR1

2004 VTX 1300 takes long time to warm up

Hi all,

I went to test drive VTX 1300S 04 today. The bike seemed to be in good shape but it took forever to warm up. The weather was okay, in the 80s. The current owner had to stand there, hold the choke open and work the throttle for maybe 10 minutes before the bike idled okay. I took it for test ride and it stalled several times at interesections.

Is it typical for VTX to require a long warm up?

thanks,
Sergey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
If he "held" the choke open for more than a few seconds I would be willing to bet the plugs are fouled. Did you ask any questions about this malady? I would barter and banter the price down to where you are happy. Take it home and change the plugs.

Then just start it up and enjoy the ride.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 PM

no ..you'll probably find he was over using the choke and fouled the plugs. Pull a plug and see if its black and sooty. Clean the plugs and STOP using the choke. Manual says to use it for 30 sec then use the throttle. You also may need to raise the idle using the black knob in front and below the air intake

If your going to ride my a$$...at least pull my hair

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
SR1

Thanks for the info. I doubt the owner would know about the plugs, he just didn't seem like a mechanically inclined person. He did say that the bike always took significant time to warm up.

I'll go there with my tools, look at the plugs and adjust the idle.

BTW, has Honda made any significant improvements between 04 and 06 1300 models? I've driven 1300 06 before and it was a love at first curve. The 04 model felt heavier and less responsive to throttle. Or maybe it's just this particular bike.

thanks,
Sergey

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to W9VD
SR1

I would not go there with my tools!

I would put my wing tips and plaid jacket on and just show up. Then I would share with the owner the shortcomings of his bike. Tell him about the bike taking ten minutes to warm up. Tell him about the fact that when you test rode the bike it died while idling.

Then nickel and dime him down to where you are happy...

Take the bike home and change the plugs and then enjoy the ride...

Keep us up to speed on this transaction.

Assault is a behavior, not a device.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

― John Wayne

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
SR1

Yep, I hear you. His asking price is on a low side of reasonable price to begin with.

I don't lose much negotiating power if the plugs are truly fouled. 20 years ago my dad owned a Russian bike 'Voshod' that fouled plugs at least once a week, and we never figured out what was wrong with the darn thing I can make a case to the owner that fouled plugs can be a sign of bigger problem.

Sergey

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 PM

It only takes a few times over using the choke to foul the plugs, so it may have been this way for a while. Did this myself at first. Now I never use the choke at all.

Also you may want to see if he has moded the exhaust (clayton type drill out). This changed my back pressure and contributed to plug fouling. Also if the air filter is dirty, a rich mixture may give the same result.

Jaywalker Â… rides a 2005 Candy Red VTX 1300 R

“Be sure you’re right; then go ahead.” – Davy Crockett
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Man, I hate to think about some guy out there with a bike that runs like crap because the plugs are fouled from excessive choke. That poor guy probably thinks these bikes are junk. Too bad he isn't a member here! FWIW, I almost never need to use the choke to get mine started. If it is really cold (like 20s or below), I will use it for a few seconds and then warm it up with delicate throttle control.

Orange 2006 VTX1300C; www.simplyhippo.com

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
SR1

Thanks for replies! That VTX is bone-stock - no exhaust mods, no aftermarket air cleaners. I'll go take a second look tomorrow.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 04:07 PM

I've came to find that my VTX could be a cold hearted bitch at times after sitting a few days or if it's been cold outside. I changed the plugs after this past winter with Bosch Fusions and I haven't had to use the choke more than a few times since. But, it does sound like the seller has fouled the plugs. Running with the choke open and then rapping the throttle for a while will foul the plugs pretty quick. After riding a little while, they should clean themselves, but if this guy did this all the time, then the plugs are probably about shot. Get him down on the price, get some new plugs, and have fun.

2005 VTX 1300S, Bestem Backrest, Kury ISO's, K&N air filter, Fender louvers, Kury deep dish smoke turn signals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page