stator replacement - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

stator replacement

After 3 batteries (maybe 4, I forget) on my '03 1300S, 2 different dealers telling me that charging system was fine, too many late nite jumps (done correctly, thanks Hondas Rider Club), I finally went to an independent repair shop that specializes in metrics.
After I described the bikes symtoms and history, he tested and diagnosed a faulty stator It seems the two 50 watt bulbs I had in by lightbar two or three years ago probably caused the damage. I only have one 50 watt bulb installed now.
I can buy off on that, I just have a problem with the $517 estimate to replace it. I've done my own maintenance on the bike, things like brakes, oil changes, Progressive springs, wheel removal, ect.
I've found the part online for $220 delivered, I've got the service manual, plenty of tools and a lift. Doesn't seem to difficult. I'm sure others on the site have done it. Any tips? By the way the bike has 35k miles, all me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Tell the repair shop you know the cost of the part and ask what he charges per hour for labor.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both
Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 PM

I remove mine just to have check why the three wire from it come very hot and i fond noting . Easy to do go for it .

Good lock .

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 AM

I had the same problem a few months back. I tried to order an OEM stator from the dealer but was told they were waiting on a shipment from Japan and it could be up to a 3 month wait. I found this company that will rebuild your stator for cheap(er). http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/
I think I paid around $120 for the rebuild and it looked like new when it came back. It took about a week from the time I sent it off.
Here are a couple of pics of my damaged stator:

BTW, I doubt your extra lights fried your stator. I didn't have any extra electrical accessories at the time it went bad. My guess is that they made a few bad ones. If you need any more info on what it takes to do the job yourself drop me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

2004 1300C
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

stator

Thanks for the info, I hope my stator doesn't look like that one! Yikes!
I take it if its like that, the bike isn't moving. My bike will start and run, but out of the blue it will leave me stranded. Then back on the trickle charger, and everythings fine. It just gotten to a point where I can't trust it. Needless to say, the lightbar stays off until I resolve the situation.
Ricks Motorsports is up to $145 for the rebuild now, so I'll go that route. Expect a PM if I have any questions. Thanks again.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM

I went through the same thing when trying to diagnose my problem. First I thought it was a bad battery because it was about 5 years old. Replaced that and recharged and it ran fine until the charge in the battery depleted (so be careful if you are still riding, you could end up left beside the road).
Next, it was between the stator and the rectifier/regulator. I found a trouble shooting flow chart online and followed the rule in/rule out steps and narrowed it to the stator. You will have to drain your oil, so figure on the cost of fresh oil and filter. You will also need sealant for the engine case when you re-assemble.

2004 1300C
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to csheley
me too...

i was about to post a "is this out of line?" about the cost of a new stator being $340 from the dealer, but i guess you guys have had the same experience.

it's too nice to wait a week for a rebuild, so I'll just have to sell a kidney for the new one I guess.

Any buyers? or, should I post that to the "For Sale" board?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Yea, someone with renal failure would pay an arm and a leg for a new kidney. Personally, I'd wait the week for the rebuild and not give the $$ to the stealer.

2004 1300C
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to csheley
insensitive...

sorry to anyone suffering from, or having a close personal friend or relative w/ aforementioned ailment.

I probably sound like a real a-hole...

At any rate, it's going to be an expensive week.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM

stator problems

i had my stator go bad after only one year. The stealer fixed it and said he had never replaced a stator on an x before. He also held my baby hostage for almost a month, i was pissed. i hate stealers but it was still under warranty. good luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page