2004 honda vtx 1300c suddenly wont start - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

2004 honda vtx 1300c suddenly wont start

ok i have searched thread after thread and have not found an answer so i am asking for help!!!!Ok i got on my bike today and drove down the street and my bike kinda sputtered like it was out of gas but is not out of gas.when i came to a stop it stalled and and i started and rode home which was right down the road.when i got home and stopped the bike it would not start again.everything else is normal the lights,the switch.i tried everything to start but nothing!would not start in neutral or any other gear.have never had a prob till now.checked fuses,starter switch dont no how to check kickstand switch.when i cross the starter solenoid the bike fires right up.could it be the starter solenoid???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 PM

By not starting, do you mean the starter won't crank over the engine, or it cranks, but won't start? I'm guessing the latter, and would suggest looking at your battery terminals for tightness, and then turn to your fuel tank vent hose (small 1/8" hose at the right rear of the tank). Please include your year and model of your bike in your signature line, as that helps us help you. Just a side note: if your battery is old, it could be giving up on you. Let us know if you need more help.

2004 1300C, Spyker Mod, FP Stage 3 Kit, Resmogged with Bubs and a bunch of bling.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Madness_MC
awe911 -

I had the same issue with my '04 C-model back in June '05. Several things to check.
Question - did your Trip-A & Trip-B odometers reset back to "0" ??

1.) Check that all battery cables are clean and tight (with 10mm wrench or -drive ratchet and socket). Even check the connections at the starter relay - they can also work loose.

2.) It's not so rare - look at the RUN/STOP switch contacts inside the switch housing. They can get dirty, corroded or burnt and loose contact. This circuit feeds juice to your coils. While you're in there, also check and clean the START and headlight cut-out switch contacts. These have no immediate impact on your problem, but do this as a precaution as long as you're in there cleaning.

3.) Check your front coil at the left side frame rail under the gas tank. Due to the design of the bike, the tank acts as a big "water funnel" and allows the mounting bolts for the front coil to rust at the frame mounting tabs. This causes the front coil to loose its ground connection and the bike will die as described.

4.) The final area is the most tricky and took me a while to find before I joined any VTX forums. Bareass172 has documented this well at https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194653

The reason the bike started when jumped at the solenoid, is that you weren't sitting in the seat. Doing so puts pressure on the ECM/ICM harness from the bottom of the seat pan and under many circumstances can cause the power to the ECM/ICM to be cut by the break inside the insulation for the black wire (power feed) or light green (timer pulse feed wire from the pick-up coil)

You'll find your problem in at least one of those areas.

Let us know what you find.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 PM

Wow...I completely missed his year and model in the friggin' Title Line!

2004 1300C, Spyker Mod, FP Stage 3 Kit, Resmogged with Bubs and a bunch of bling.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to Madness_MC
It is still much better for everyone to put that info in their signature line. That way the poster does not forget to include the information in the heat of the question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page