Break Fluid Change - need help/suggestions - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Cheapozilla

Break Fluid Change - need help/suggestions

Have 8k on the bike and been 2 years since I bought it new, I checked/completed everything that is mentioned for the 8k maint schedule including valve clearance/adjust. Well everything...except break fluid which needs to be changed as it is over 2 yrs and looks a bit yellow/orangish.

The only instructions I could find for 1300 were these...
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207424
...but the pics are missing.

I am afraid/nervous to mess up as it is the breaking system we are talking here and I am not even sure what bleeding means. Replacing the neck bearings is another thing that makes me nervous. So If I take it to the dealership, might as well get the neck bearings replaced.

Are there any detailed instructions out there specifically on the break fluid? any tips/suggestions or best to take to the dealership? Looking for some advise/motivation here.

Thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2007 VTX1300R Dark Red Metalic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 PM

I had to replace brake pads recently. The dealer labor price was not really that bad and they replaced the brake fluid as well. The steering bearing replacement was much more expensive--$240 labor alone.

Life is a Journey. Enjoy it. You only get one.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM

..speed bleeders...mighty vac (comes with instructs)...or take it to an independent bike shop/mechanic..or get a quote from your dealer as to cost of replacing fluids, maybe he'll treat ya right..but it should be changed..antifreeze too..

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 PM

I did mine this past winter. I got these Speed Bleeders and it made the job a piece of cake!

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

You just replace your stock bleeders with these and it makes it very simple. A short length of clear hose over the end went into a bottle to collect the old fluid as I pumped the pedal/ lever. Just make sure that you don't let the master cylinder go dry.
The fluids don't seem to mix and you'll see the new clear fluid coming out.

Due to the current economic status, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Lady Rider

I did mine wth the mityvac and it wasn't bad, but next time, I'll get the speed bleeders as i believe that's the easiest way.

'07 Pearl Uranium Green, 1300CRN
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 05:18 PM

+1 on the mighty vac. Don't think I need the speed bleaders as I only do this job every 2 yrs. Pretty easy with the mighty vac.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
what bleeding means
Normally bleeding a brake line is to get the air out of it if the fluid was removed completely from the master cylinder. It also means to draw the fluid out through the bleed valve from the master cylinder as you replace the fluid in the master cylinder with new fluid. Just be carefull so you don't get any brake fluid on the paint. Will eat it away quickly!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 PM

P.S. I also have the mighty vac, it is well worth the money. Even a caveman can do it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Cheapozilla

yeah but the caveman was smarter than me

Thanks for all the help and education all - you guys are awesome

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2007 VTX1300R Dark Red Metalic
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Terry Dill
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash.VTX View Post
Have 8k on the bike and been 2 years since I bought it new, I checked/completed everything that is mentioned for the 8k maint schedule including valve clearance/adjust. Well everything...except break fluid which needs to be changed as it is over 2 yrs and looks a bit yellow/orangish.

The only instructions I could find for 1300 were these...
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207424
...but the pics are missing.

I am afraid/nervous to mess up as it is the breaking system we are talking here and I am not even sure what bleeding means. Replacing the neck bearings is another thing that makes me nervous. So If I take it to the dealership, might as well get the neck bearings replaced.

Are there any detailed instructions out there specifically on the break fluid? any tips/suggestions or best to take to the dealership? Looking for some advise/motivation here.

Thanks
I would not touch the brake fluid. It is funny the dealers and Honda tell you to change it so often. You never change it in your car that you have had for 3-5 years. And it is the same stuff in the same kind of system.

When my bikes get 50k miles or are 4 years old, I bleed them down a bit and add new at the top. But, I don't do a wholesale replacement.

It's not the destination, but the gettin there.

You are not lost until you run out of gas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page