My riding is suspended indefinitely thanks to Hard Krome!! - Page 2 - VTXOA
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:28 PM

I had a similar issue and found the root cause was one slightly loose upper bolt on the large exhaust support bracket. The other lower bolt was so tight it couldn't be tightened any more but the top bolt was just tight enough (not really loose) to allow the bracket to move up and down about 1/2" with a few pounds of pressure. Loose enough that road bounces are going to allow the exhaust to flex.

Roadhouse replaced them free but in the process I found the root cause.

This is the bolt that was not fully tightened. Lower bolt was very tight. The full weight of the exhaust is supported by that bracket.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRadar View Post
Hard Krome and Roadburner appear to be part of the same company.
only 90 day warranty on pipes with 1 year on discoloring.

I called roadburner after my Blackhawk double Eagles discolored severely after just a couple of months. (Put on in December '08 and discolored badly by March '09 and keeps getting worse)

They told me the only thing they would do for me would to recoat the pipes. It was going to cost me shipping both ways and $175 for the recoat.

Their warranty should read,
"Should your outer pipe discolor, Contact us here at RoadBurner so we can laugh our ass off at you.
We will make a feeble attempt to correct the issue should you decide to send a lot more money and be without your exhaust for 3 to 6 months.
Please note that giving us even more money will not prevent your exhaust from discoloring again.
If you do not like the warranty terms then you can go pound sand up your butt using the exhaust as a funnel.
Here at Roadburner, we put a lot of effort at designing the best looking and sounding exhaust for your motorcycle that should last at least one trip around the block."
Yes, I knew about their warranty, but I would've expected the exhaust to last longer than it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger13 View Post
Looks like I should start saving up for a new exhaust. Thanks for the warning, but it sucks that happened though. Good luck getting back on the road.
It hasn't happened to everyone who owns a Hard Krome exhaust system, but it's happened to enough owners to raise a huge red flag for future buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHWALEE View Post
That's aweful! Maybe someone can swing you a deal on something... It is the holidays after all.
I really was after the Doolies, especially when they went on a deep discount, but I still couldn't afford $550. I'll weigh all my options and see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmike View Post
can you put your stock ones back on for now?
Stock ones were sold a long time ago, but I don't think I'd like to go that route anyway. I'm not even sure if they'd fit with my bags, and the thought of losing power would make me sit longer to get something other than stock pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro View Post
I had a similar issue and found the root cause was one slightly loose upper bolt on the large exhaust support bracket. The other lower bolt was so tight it couldn't be tightened any more but the top bolt was just tight enough (not really loose) to allow the bracket to move up and down about 1/2" with a few pounds of pressure. Loose enough that road bounces are going to allow the exhaust to flex.

Roadhouse replaced them free but in the process I found the root cause.

This is the bolt that was not fully tightened. Lower bolt was very tight. The full weight of the exhaust is supported by that bracket.
Early on, I actually lost one of those bolts. But it was replaced and I made sure they were put on with red loctite. All of the bolts are tight.
post #13 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Andfthey call themselves HARD chrome. lol not very likely from the Pics
Thanks for the heads up.

Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end.
2005 VTX 1300S Red
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #14 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 PM

Do you have K2s? Hamph

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 PM

Hate to hear this, post up on the local board, I'm sure someone has some stock pipes that could get you through until you could get what you really want.

2007 VTX 1300R / 2006 VTX 1800R

"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It's Gumbo!! If you don't eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you."
post #16 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Just wind some muffler tape around it. At least it'll keep it together for awhile....

...I'm SERIOUS

2007 VTX1300R (gone, miss it but not cleaning the the chrome...)
2008 VStrom DL-650 (gone, miss it....)
2008 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic with Carpenter Racing 240hp package
2011 Victory Vision Tourer
2012 Suzuki DR650SE

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!
post #17 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR VTX View Post

Early on, I actually lost one of those bolts. But it was replaced and I made sure they were put on with red loctite. All of the bolts are tight.
Do you know how long you were without that bolt?

Coul be it was just long enough to start the problem... or not ... I have read other threads complaining about HK quality and service.

post #18 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamph View Post
Do you have K2s? Hamph
Yes, those are the K-2s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo820 View Post
Hate to hear this, post up on the local board, I'm sure someone has some stock pipes that could get you through until you could get what you really want.
Look at my last post above, old timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtill View Post
Just wind some muffler tape around it. At least it'll keep it together for awhile....

...I'm SERIOUS
I'm not sure that would give it enough support. If I take both sides of that break and wiggle it, the entire exhaust as a whole flexes a little...even at the heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD3NE View Post
Do you know how long you were without that bolt?

Coul be it was just long enough to start the problem... or not ... I have read other threads complaining about HK quality and service.
It wasn't very long, and that was before I purchased the second front pipe...which is cracking in the exact same spot.
post #19 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 PM

I had my hk 2.5 american straights crack also, and got no help from them fixing it. I just traded the bike in on a new ultra.

In a world filled with shades of grey there is one absolute... it is impossible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #20 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by locodude View Post
I had my hk 2.5 american straights crack also, and got no help from them fixing it. I just traded the bike in on a new ultra.
I already have an Ultra...well, my wife does! Maybe it's time to move up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page