VTX 1300 C fork oil change...amt. per fork? - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to sshake1905
VTX 1300 C fork oil change...amt. per fork?

Hey...I am about ready to install progressive fork springs in my 07 VTX 1300 C today.....and I might as well replace the fork oil after 12 K.... I know the progressive springs won't take quite as much fork oil as stock springs do....but I can't find the amount required for eack fork....

Can someone please email the fork oil amount in CCs, or ounces, etc....needed to flush and change each fork leg?? Thanks, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Fork oil, 15.5 ozs for each fork tube.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fla.Cableguy
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtxrosa View Post
Fork oil, 15.5 ozs for each fork tube.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Lot's of time and money. I trust no one's wrench, but my own. Avon Monster Club, Black Out Club, Mat Black Fastest Color....Pay it forward .

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM

Don't worry so much about the amount of fluid in ounces. It's the level that you need to watch for. If there's any fluid left in the fork when you fill it (and there will be unless you're doing a full tear down) then you will be overfilled by putting 15.5 ounces in.

You want to fill the fork with the spring and spacer removed and the fork collapsed. Fill it to about 6 inches below the top of the tube and then pump it a number of times to bleed the air out. Now you want to top off the level until it reaches 135 millimeters (5.31") below the top of the tube.
**The forks need to be upright for this measurement. Make sure you remove them from the bike.**

Making a simple fork fluid height guage is simple:

-Take a wire coat hanger and cut it to about 10 inches.
-Bend a right angle at 6 inches, and that will give you 4 inches to hold onto.
-Use a pair of side cutters to gently grasp the wire at 135mm below the right angle and spin the wire to make a nice scored mark all the way around.
-Make a couple more scores below that level. (These will catch the oil and make it easier to read the level)

All you have to do is prop the guage on the side of the tube and fill to the top score mark. (A flashlight helps)
Pump the fork a couple more times, re-check the level, and re-assemble with your new springs and spacers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
support your
LOCAL 81
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHWALEE View Post
Don't worry so much about the amount of fluid in ounces. It's the level that you need to watch for. If there's any fluid left in the fork when you fill it (and there will be unless you're doing a full tear down) then you will be overfilled by putting 15.5 ounces in.

You want to fill the fork with the spring and spacer removed and the fork collapsed. Fill it to about 6 inches below the top of the tube and then pump it a number of times to bleed the air out. Now you want to top off the level until it reaches 135 millimeters (5.31") below the top of the tube.
**The forks need to be upright for this measurement. Make sure you remove them from the bike.**

Making a simple fork fluid height guage is simple:

-Take a wire coat hanger and cut it to about 10 inches.
-Bend a right angle at 6 inches, and that will give you 4 inches to hold onto.
-Use a pair of side cutters to gently grasp the wire at 135mm below the right angle and spin the wire to make a nice scored mark all the way around.
-Make a couple more scores below that level. (These will catch the oil and make it easier to read the level)

All you have to do is prop the guage on the side of the tube and fill to the top score mark. (A flashlight helps)
Pump the fork a couple more times, re-check the level, and re-assemble with your new springs and spacers.
Man you know your chit...Hey wheres the vest pix...

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennX View Post
Man you know your chit...Hey wheres the vest pix...
I took some, but that's all she was wearing.

I'll get some all ages ones out to you!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
support your
LOCAL 81
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Very good idea and instructions JOSHAWLEE- I coped it and put in my files.

Donut/Doug

Donut Doug
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to sshake1905
fork oil change level

Hey guys...thanks for all the info...I am removing stock springs and installing progressive fork springs 11-1126...

the instructions say the new springs have a little more displacement in the forks than stock springs and. therefore...less fork oil is required than stock

so...I am wondering...since I have a little less than 12K on my bike...AND the fork oil is still ok....

I might remove spacer and old springs, as slowly as possible to lose least amount of fork oil, compress the forks down and check the oil level from top lip of fork tube...which progressive says should be 5.5 inches (or less for a softer ride) max....so 6 inches could be real possible, if I lost a little fork oil pulling out old springs....BUT

someone said I need to get the fork legs vertical to take the fork oil level check...which means dropping front wheel, brake calipers, etc...right?

I think I will do this fork spring change the easy (lazy) way because of these reasons.....1) fork oil is still ok...less than 12K
2) new progressive springs, with little more displacement
means little less fork oil needed..which great because
I am wanting little softer ride anyways...
3) I can't image losing more than a 1/2 oz to 1 oz out of
each fork leg, if I'm careful, when switching old spring
for new spring in each leg...
4) should be about right where I want it...if I'm careful

Someone email me to tell me that my "ball park" plan... to change old
fork springs to new progressives....without a total teardown of the front end....just to measure fork oil level...is totally off base and won't work..

I promise to tear down complete front end at a later date, like when my steering bearing get bad, or when the fork oil actually needs to be replaced....

what would be great? if someone filled the forks to correct level with new oil, put the fork leg back in the triple trees, and then measured the correct level, on the angle...then made a wire, notched dipstick to measure fork oil level from top lip of the fork tube...WHEN THE FORKS ARE STILL BOLTED IN THE TREES, at the normal rake angle, so all that would be needed would be to compress the fork without the spring inside, and read if proper oil level was attained

Thanks for the help...Steve
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:53 PM

With the forks depressed (biked lowered) with no springs in them just measure down the side.
When I installed mine I didn't need to add anything.

Donut Doug
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 PM

At 12K you are going to be amazed at the gunk in your fork oil.
I would do the extra work and change that old stuff out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page