What exactly Darkside - Page 7 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 PM

I have read reports from others that it actually takes time to brake in the sidewalls of a CT but i don't know if that is actually true or not.

Doug

Donut Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
I have read reports from others that it actually takes time to brake in the sidewalls of a CT but i don't know if that is actually true or not.

Doug
from the videos ive seen, we arent actually riding ont he sidewalls at any lean angle on a cruiser, but maybe when they break in they give more? who knows

2005 VTX 1300 S
Too many to list

post #63 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Old Goat

IMHO every rider has a different experience on the CT, there are a few things that are the same but its still an opinion on their riding style....there is a learning curve...for me it was more mental than the physical ride, and also to me the diff. was on the rough , uneven roads, as far as curves and twisties I saw no difference than a MT...but its still all about your style...Im pretty much tired of defending the Darkside , I think from now own I will leave it up to you young bucks.....Darkside works for me, its up to you guys to decide if its for you .....good luck and peace out....

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

post #64 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlax View Post
i doubt anybody here had any delusions of what your post is. You clearly think we are all stupid for trying something new, and my guess is you have never tried it to see for yourself, so you clearly also believe that you are expert enough on the subject to make an accurate judgement on this modification, without any hard evidence to support your theory.

I would challenge you to see what EVERY great thing in the history of mankind came from. Majority of inventions start with some nutjob deciding to be different, everyone calling him stupid, and then years later, whadaya know, he was right and hes the one laughing. You can say what you what about darkside tires, but until you do what im doing right now, and make the switch, compare the two, and make a decision based on an unbiased comparison, you are just another person who doesnt know what you are talking about.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do with your tires, and as always, keep it shiny side up.

Your comparing great things in the History of Mankind,to using
a car tire..?? Are you revolutionizing riding as we know it..??

I dont think darksiders are stupid,or you in particular either..

I dont have to try it,to know the characteristics between car
and motorcycle tires,are inherently different..

Do you agree,that car tires are designed to be used on a four wheeled vehicle,and engineered with those weight,
load and handling characteristics in mind..?

good ole common sense tells ya that using one car tire,on a two wheeled,
800 lb vehicle,that tire will not perform as it was designed for.

I sincerely hope this practice does not cause an accident,and realistically,we probably wont hear about it if it does..

I dont have to prove anything really,since I am not the one recommending
something, that has not been proven to be safe,or accepted as safe
by any legitimate organization..

Darksiders opinions dont count for much in the world of tire engineering,and development...

When using something as important as tires on a motorcycle,
using anything other than approved tires,you do so at your own risk..

I just dont agree with your recommending them,and sharing that risk
with other riders.....
post #65 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
Your comparing great things in the History of Mankind,to using
a car tire..?? Are you revolutionizing riding as we know it..??

I dont think darksiders are stupid,or you in particular either..

I dont have to try it,to know the characteristics between car
and motorcycle tires,are inherently different..

Do you agree,that car tires are designed to be used on a four wheeled vehicle,and engineered with those weight,
load and handling characteristics in mind..?

good ole common sense tells ya that using one car tire,on a two wheeled,
800 lb vehicle,that tire will not perform as it was designed for.

I sincerely hope this practice does not cause an accident,and realistically,we probably wont hear about it if it does..

I dont have to prove anything really,since I am not the one recommending
something, that has not been proven to be safe,or accepted as safe
by any legitimate organization..

Darksiders opinions dont count for much in the world of tire engineering,and development...

When using something as important as tires on a motorcycle,
using anything other than approved tires,you do so at your own risk..

I just dont agree with your recommending them,and sharing that risk
with other riders.....
you cannot say there is a risk just because the tire was not designed for this vehicle. As stated above, you are ignorant and unwilling to accept the possibility of something working in a way it was not designed to work. Did you know duct tape was designed to tape air ducts, and thats almost the worse possible use for it? are people that use it for anything other than to tape an air duct using it improperly and risking an air duct failure? you can justify hating the idea of darkside anyway youd like, but until you try it for yourself, or, accept all of the positive testimonials of the thousands of riders out there who are doing it, you are still ignorant. If i feel at any time that this tire swap has created an unsafe condition, i will be getting rid of it, so far, i cant FOR ANY REASON, say that the tire is not performing the task i installed it to perform with ease.

Like tennx, i think this is becoming a pointless debate, so ill leave this thread alone before i piss anybody off. Suffice to say, i will post my final verdict on this tire when i have ridden it enough to give an accurate report, in a seperate thread as not to stir the pot, i will continue to ride on whatever tire i choose, be it car or motorcycle tire, and you can rest assured, my bike will never go down because of my decision, nor will i recommend anything to someone that is not safe.

2005 VTX 1300 S
Too many to list

post #66 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM

This will go on for a long time. There are thousands that have changes. Some that I have talked to say they actually feel safer on them in rain and also in stopping.
Most here don't leave their bikes stock and there is nothing wrong with change. I don't believe the manufactures are right all the time - The public over time has actually changed manufactures thoughts in their designs over the years. The CT will out last the MT by far longer in wear.
Who know in the future the CT may be standard in the future for bikes - you never know.
Doug

Donut Doug
post #67 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
It's like trying to have an intelligent conversation about raising kids with someone who never had kids. An exercise in futility.

If they never tried a ct, they are just "ignert" and can't help it. Don't let em get your goat.

BTW this can be considered a "slam" too.
I have seen the way some parents raise their kids...
I never had any,and believe me,I could do a better job..

So,anything that I have done,that you have not,
means I should not expect to have an intelligent conversation with
you on that subject..?

I mean,that is what you said,right..?
post #68 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM

You really need to do your research before you post LOL.

Adhesive tape (specifically masking tape) was invented in the 1920's by Richard Drew of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing, Co. (3M). Duct tape (the WWII military version) was first created and manufactured in 1942 (approximate date) by the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division. Its closest predecessor was medical tape. The original use was to keep moisture out of the ammunition cases. Because it was waterproof, people referred to the tape as "Duck Tape." Also, the tape was made using cotton duck - similar to what was used in their cloth medical tapes. Military personnel quickly discovered that the tape was very versatile and used it to fix their guns, jeeps, aircraft, etc. After the war, the tape was used in the booming housing industry to connect heating and air conditioning duct work together. Soon, the color was changed from Army green to silver to match the ductwork and people started to refer to duck tape as "Duct Tape." Things changed during the 1970s, when the partners at Manco, Inc. placed rolls of duct tape in shrink wrap, making it easier for retailers to stack the sticky rolls. Different grades and colors of duct tape weren´t far behind. Soon, duct tape became the most versatile tool in the household.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #69 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Lets clean this up and quit all the remarks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donut Doug
post #70 of 209 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Old Goat

aardvark:

If the p---ie was free you would argue over price, your certainly entitled to your many and varied opinions (insert big ole yawn here ) ...but you just make me tired.....have a good one (opinion that is)....

Phil...(72)”Nobody told me I die at the end”
2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page