Honda VTX Forum banner

Possible Leak at Oil Filter?

960 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  leeac 
#1 ·
I changed my oil a couple weeks back and replaced the oil filter with a Bosch 3300, and checked everything for leaks the next couple days. No leaks, but when I put my finger at the bottom of the new Bosch oil filter seam (where it is screwed in), I always get a little smear of wet oil on my finger (about a single drop worth). I only hand tighten the oil filter (til it seats and then another 1/2 turn), so every time I felt the drop of oil, I make it even a little tighter (but not enough to strip it). Checked it again this morning after riding in to work, and sure enough got the little drop of wet oil on my finger again. My oil level is still good, and I don't see any oil on the ground where I park. I definitely pre-rubbed some oil around the new oil filter rubber gasket before screwing it in, so I should have created a pretty good seam. Just can't figure it out why I'm getting this small leakage.

And now that I think about it, I was about a quart low on oil that came out of my pan. I chalked it up to hard riding, but now I'm having second thoughts...

Anyone ever run into a small leak the oil filter seam? I'm thinking of getting another new filter and seeing if it solves the problem - and if not, then I think I may have a problem with the oil filter female threading?

Thoughts?...

See less See more
#9 ·
You did take off the old seal? Don't have two seals in there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.