Broken shift return spring 06 1300c - VTXOA
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Broken shift return spring 06 1300c

I finally got started taking my bike apart after having a shifter issue.After taking off the exhaust,draining the oil and taking off the right crankcase,I found a metal part in the remaining small pool of oil.The shift return spring had broken.I took off everything I needed to,found a dealer that had the part in stock,and have the bike back together.A cold ride around the block shows everything working properly.Just need spring to get some warm miles on the bike.Thanks for the few who gave advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken spring 002.jpg (32.8 KB, 64 views)
frnkcat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Garage
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Now quit banging on that shifter....lol. We are hopefully gonna get some warm weather this weekend.....65 plus degrees. Ride safe safe travels....

With the people left unguided, For so many troubled years
In a cloud of doubts and fears, Their world was torn asunder into hollow Hemispheres......Neal Peart
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Garage
Probably a first. I cannot recall this happening to anyone on this board...

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaJePH
I think I have the same problem..... 2006 1300R VTX under 40,000 miles. Just started today on the way to work. I found that 4.5 gear (false neutral) and heard a growl. I can shift down into 1st. Then 2nd is no problem with the heel. To shift into 3, 4, 5 I have to put light pressure as if I was going to down shift to get it to heel shift into the next gear. With the motor off, I can work the heel / toe by hand and it is REAL floppy. There is a lot of play going fore & aft. The local stealership service department said he had never heard of this problem. I'll try taking all the external parts off to clean and lube, when I get home tonight. I hope I too do not need to crack the engine case to replace this 'Spring Shift return' <--- referenced in the parts list.

Reading the quick fix and watching the video on how to clean lube and rebuild the shifting lever, I'll see if it works.

Update. Got home, put the bike up on jack stand where I could get to everything. Pulled the dust boots back one at a time. Washed the grease and slime out of each one. Wiped often while spraying. Looked polished. Packed with grease. Even took the pivot bolt off where the heel / toe shifter attaches to the frame. Cleaned, polished and greased. No change in my problem. I can still down shift and shift into 2nd no problem. To shift into 3, 4, 5 I still have to put a little pressure down on the toe to shift with the heel. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 PM

Garage
With a broke spring the shift lever is sloppy, does not return to a center position, so to speak. I really dont understand shifting with toe pressure using the heel shifter. Personally I think the heel shifters tend to abuse an otherwise easy to shift transmission, I hardly use mine but how does it shift just using the toes.....???

In a cloud of doubts and fears, Their world was torn asunder into hollow Hemispheres......Neal Peart
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM

After I shift into 2 or 3 or 4 to get it into the next higher gear, I have to touch the toe shift down enough to get the heel shifter into position to depress it to shift.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Garage
Yep, sounds like the clutch cover needs to come off for an inspection. If you have cleaned and lubed all the linkage and pivot point on the heel/toe shifter with no success...do those first.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJePH View Post
I hope I too do not need to crack the engine case to replace this 'Spring Shift return' <--- referenced in the parts list.
I believe the shift return spring the OP was referring to is external. It is right where the cable lever enters the engine.

Have you checked your clutch cable? Little strands can start to fray and get stuck, causing problems. I doubt it's your internal clutch springs - you would just be slipping.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 AM

Redneck temporary fix

I put a small bungee cord around the engine crash bar to the front end of the heel toe shifter. It returns the shifter in the normal position between shifts. It worked! So now to review the shop manual for replacement of the return shift spring. As stated above, the right case comes off to access the spring. Hope it is that easy to get to. Have to remove the exhaust pipes just to get to the engine case. Yea! Do I really want to do it myself.... I'm medical and pseudo mechanic....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Garage
I believe the spring the OP was talking about is #10 on the parts fiche.
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_sectio...05&fveh=132384

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: li, align: left"]010[/TD]
[TD="class: li, align: left"]SPRING, SHIFT RETURN
24651-MCH-000[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

03-04 service manual page 10-13.
Also another return spring on the stopper arm part #8 on the fiche.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page