Prospect to buy: 02 1300 - What should I look for? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
Excellent thanks for the information, it's these little bits and pieces that are most useful when buying something new.

Does failure of the fuel pump result in a no-run situation (or just poor?), and aside from eliminating the potential for problems...in their positives and negatives of having versus not having the pump? Presumably it was put there for some reason by Honda, but the later models didn't use it?

If the pump goes out no gas to the carb means engine wont run. All the rest of the models are gravity fed. By removing the fuel pump it will give you a hole under the seat for something else. The petcock does not have a vacuum line to it like the rest do so you might want to shut the fuel off at the petcock when you park.The only time I have shut mine off tho is when it is trailered or removing the tank. Mine has been removed for quite a few years (can't remember when I removed it) and never had a problem still able to hit triple digits.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
some of the many mods. Leo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey everyone..new guy here.

My wife and I have decided to sell our Jetskis that we've had for about 5 years and move on to something new.. This VTX is high on my prospect list of bikes..actually, leading the pack honestly.

It's an 03 (correction) with only 14,000 Kilometers (8600 miles) and is a real gem...every accessory I want (the batwing fairing w/radio, tasteful saddlebags, comfy 2 up seat with backrests, etc), a nice V&H Bigshot exhaust, and it's priced very aggressively. Doesn't appear (from my glances so far) to need anything to certify.

I'm sure you all know this bike like the back of your hand, so what should I look for? Any typical problems with the 03 model being the first year for the 1300 as I understand it?

Guidance and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachment 60237
I can only see one fault with it that can be taken care of with great ease. It has spokes but no WW's. What were the previous owners thinking
Nice bike, go ahead, pull the trigger on it.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I have a fellow coming to look at the Jetski's tomorrow evening, he sounds pretty serious, so fingers crossed - the old toys must go before the new one can come home.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Good news, the Jetskis sold today and I'm taking my wife to see the VTX tonorrow
morning. I anticipate being the proud new owner sometime around lunch.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Good news, the Jetskis sold today and I'm taking my wife to see the VTX tonorrow
morning. I anticipate being the proud new owner sometime around lunch.
I don't know if you already have a price set, but if there is still negotiating room, money talks and it sounds like you have the cash.......

The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 PM

By the way friend.
After you get the bike, please stay in touch and let us know about your adventures. Before you know it, you will be giving us hints, tips, things to do and not to do.
Welcome

The earlier I get behind, the longer I will have to try and catch up.
It doesn't take me all day to get nothing done; I can get nothing done by break time.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

I already negotiated a lower price than original asking, although I'll probably aim for a little more when I show up tomorrow and sit down and finalize things. Out of curiousity, what would a bike of similar age/mileage/accessories (see pic and details in first post) sell for south of the 49'th? Things always tend to be more expensive up here, but I'm curious for comparison purposes.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I already negotiated a lower price than original asking, although I'll probably aim for a little more when I show up tomorrow and sit down and finalize things. Out of curiousity, what would a bike of similar age/mileage/accessories (see pic and details in first post) sell for south of the 49'th? Things always tend to be more expensive up here, but I'm curious for comparison purposes.
That's a tough question. It is oufitted very nice but without the WW's, it's anyone's guess.
The real question is: What's it worth to you and only you know that. Check KBB or some other source and keep in mind that add on accessories don't necessarily raise the value of the machine.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Book values are hard to find up here for toys (Cars are easy, toys..not so much), usually we only end up with US values and they seldom translate to the Canadian market...for example, the buyer of my Jetskis mentioned during negotiations today that he found a book value of the one machine as being <$1000 (actually, something like $500 if I recall correctly), but even accounting for the exchange, it was still slightly south of $1000. That said, that doesn't translate - the market is different up here and that machine would easily fetch $2000-$2500 in the summer.

Accordingly, I'm curious for those who might have bought a similar year/milage (or seen any advertised) to share their thoughts on value.

Yes, I know accessories rarely translate to any major increase in resale value, but they were of value to me personally - the batwing and sissy bars were two of my "must have" options and would have cost a few shekels to install after the fact, so having them there already was a plus...even though I realize they don't really increase the value in the end for the seller. The seats and V&H exhaust already being bolted on were bonus's, although I sure love the sound of that exhaust.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Banned

I may be just spitballing here but it sounds like you think it's a good value. What is the asking price and approx what would that translate to in US dollars? I bought mine totally stock with 8K miles, got a brand new jacket, new gloves, new full face modular helmet and new tour master luggage set for 4500. I bought in Jan. of '14 and shopped for about 2-3 weeks 'til I felt like the right deal came along. Been very very happy with the bike and making it my own. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page