Prospect to buy: 02 1300 - What should I look for? - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Prospect to buy: 03 1300 - What should I look for?

Hey everyone..new guy here.

My wife and I have decided to sell our Jetskis that we've had for about 5 years and move on to something new.. This VTX is high on my prospect list of bikes..actually, leading the pack honestly.

It's an 03 (correction) with only 14,000 Kilometers (8600 miles) and is a real gem...every accessory I want (the batwing fairing w/radio, tasteful saddlebags, comfy 2 up seat with backrests, etc), a nice V&H Bigshot exhaust, and it's priced very aggressively. Doesn't appear (from my glances so far) to need anything to certify.

I'm sure you all know this bike like the back of your hand, so what should I look for? Any typical problems with the 03 model being the first year for the 1300 as I understand it?

Guidance and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_7414.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:33 PM

Nice looking bike but the 1300 was started in 03. You can check the vin sticker on the frame to verify the year. I believe the 1800 was started in 02. Experts will be jumping in shortly. Welcome.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

My bad, probably on 03 then - post edited. Looked at so many recently that some of my notes have started to blend together. Also looked at an 02 Yamaha, perhaps that was the one that got crossed up.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c View Post
Nice looking bike but the 1300 was started in 03. You can check the vin sticker on the frame to verify the year. I believe the 1800 was started in 02. Experts will be jumping in shortly. Welcome.
It can be buy in 2002 but it is a 2003 . Nice looking bike and acc. . Welcome

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 AM

The 03 is the only one that came with a fuel pump on it. It can go out at the drop of a hat real easy to bypass tho. You might want to check on the neck bearings. The All balls roller bearings are what most replace the stock with.

Welcome to the VTXOA from the southeast corner of NC.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
some of the many mods. Leo
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclereb View Post
The 03 is the only one that came with a fuel pump on it. It can go out at the drop of a hat real easy to bypass tho.
Thx...is it audible? If I recall correctly I heard a "tick tick tick" on the bike when the key was flipped on before starting...presuming that was the fuel pump?

Is bypassing/deleting the preferred method of dealing with it...assuming it's problematic as you suggest?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
Thx...is it audible? If I recall correctly I heard a "tick tick tick" on the bike when the key was flipped on before starting...presuming that was the fuel pump?

Is bypassing/deleting the preferred method of dealing with it...assuming it's problematic as you suggest?
It can be a Starter relay or fuel pump relay . It is not a probleme if she work but remember to not replace it it is very easy to bypass or eliminae . I will put more attention at the tire crack or rust is the gas tank

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:18 PM

I had a 2003 1300S for 10 years and roughly 40,000 miles. I had absolutely NO PROBLEM with her, deciding to try something with fuel injection. Good luck with yours...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
It's not what you ride, but that you ride.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:

It is possible that was the pump.

Bypassing the fuel pump is easy just unplug it and using a piece of the fuel line run it from the petcock to the carb.

2003R..................... Darkside Rebel and Proud of it. 100,000 Mile Club
Home made doolies, Crash Bar, Light Bar, Harley Bags, Reckless Batwing,
Highway Pegs, Corbin Tourer Seat, to name
some of the many mods. Leo
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclereb View Post
It is possible that was the pump.

Bypassing the fuel pump is easy just unplug it and using a piece of the fuel line run it from the petcock to the carb.
Excellent thanks for the information, it's these little bits and pieces that are most useful when buying something new.

Does failure of the fuel pump result in a no-run situation (or just poor?), and aside from eliminating the potential for problems...in their positives and negatives of having versus not having the pump? Presumably it was put there for some reason by Honda, but the later models didn't use it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page