SOLVED! 30 MPH Vibration & Noise - Page 2 - VTXOA
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Downer View Post
I doubt the shocks were the actual cause of the problem, more likely they are just masking the real issue....like putting weight on the back.
Possibly jetting related, this can be the cause of weird harmonics.
Hi Donnie, I agree with you that the shocks weren't the cause. I believe the increase in length & drive angle was the culprit. Putting additional weight on the back actually quieted the noise. So many of us have switched to the 1800 shocks with no problem, but there are so many moving parts involved - maybe some our bikes just cannot handle that small change. I've never changed the jetting - that's still stock

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD

Last edited by PoggiPJ; 04-24-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrRider View Post
I'm glad you got it figured out, Pete.. That is a lesson for all of us.. Any modifications from OE can and mostly will have side effects.. Some we may notice, and some we may not.. Nice work!
You're welcome Starr. I'm so glad it's fixed. I was starting to look at new Harleys! Phew! That was close!

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:03 PM

Pete, I am happy to hear that you solved your problem after all the hard work that you put into solving the problem!

You sound quite confident that the problem is resolved. Would you say that you are sure this is the final resolution or do you still think there's a chance the noise will return?

Also, where did you order your shocks from?

Max

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGX1300 View Post
Pete, I am happy to hear that you solved your problem after all the hard work that you put into solving the problem!

You sound quite confident that the problem is resolved. Would you say that you are sure this is the final resolution or do you still think there's a chance the noise will return?

Also, where did you order your shocks from?

Max
Hi Max,
I was hopeful once before, after replacing my universal & rear tire that the worst was over, but it was never 100% completely quiet. With the shocks replaced it is now completely quiet. I've ridden it three times since the shock install, and I will be taking it out for a few hours tomorrow for a lunch ride. If it remains absent through tomorrow, I will be comfortable claiming a victory.

I purchased them through Amazon. They had the best price, shipped, at $236.96. This was for the 412 Series Heavy Duty 12in. Shocks - Chrome 412-4234C.

I will post an update tomorrow afternoon.

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: Vibration is still GONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoggiPJ View Post
I will post an update tomorrow afternoon.
Hi Max,
Update, as promised...
I put on another 150+ miles today. The bike is running smooth. The Progressive shocks feel great, and it is as though the vibration had never occurred.
MLGX1300 likes this.

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD

Last edited by PoggiPJ; 04-25-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Hi Max,
Update, as promised...
I put on another 150+ miles today. The bike is running smooth. The Progressive shocks feel great, and it is as thought the vibration had never occurred.
FANTASTIC!

I also had good results after replacing the Final Drive but the problem does still occur. The problem is not as bad as before the replacement but still not resolved 100%. I may just bite the bullet and replace the shocks. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Max
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
FANTASTIC!

I also had good results after replacing the Final Drive but the problem does still occur. The problem is not as bad as before the replacement but still not resolved 100%. I may just bite the bullet and replace the shocks. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Max
That's what I experienced when I changed the universal. Partial success. Please do let me know the results if you do decide to go with the Progressives.

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD

Last edited by PoggiPJ; 04-25-2016 at 10:40 PM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
That's what I experienced when I changed the universal. Partial success. Please do let me know the results if you do decide to go with the Progressives.
I ordered the shocks tonight. I'll let you know how they work out.

Max
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I ordered the shocks tonight. I'll let you know how they work out.

Max
Max, how did it work out? Did you install the shocks yet?

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:56 PM

Pete,

I was out of town when the shocks were delivered. I took today off to get ready for a trip to see our grandsons but had time to pop the new shocks on and put about 50 miles on. I can't honestly say the noise/vibration is noticeably any different than before the shock replacement. It seems replacing the Final Drive made the biggest difference for me, so far. Maybe I'll have to try the Universals. I am just not looking forward to replacing them though.

The noise is probably no big deal but I am the type that if something isn't "right" I have a hard time ignoring it.

Thanks for documenting and sharing all your experiences, you have been unbelievably helpful.

Take Care and Ride Safe!
Max

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page