SOLVED! 30 MPH Vibration & Noise - Page 3 - VTXOA
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGX1300 View Post
Pete,

I was out of town when the shocks were delivered. I took today off to get ready for a trip to see our grandsons but had time to pop the new shocks on and put about 50 miles on. I can't honestly say the noise/vibration is noticeably any different than before the shock replacement. It seems replacing the Final Drive made the biggest difference for me, so far. Maybe I'll have to try the Universals. I am just not looking forward to replacing them though.

The noise is probably no big deal but I am the type that if something isn't "right" I have a hard time ignoring it.

Thanks for documenting and sharing all your experiences, you have been unbelievably helpful.

Take Care and Ride Safe!
Max
I'm sorry Max, I feel bad that you spent the money and it didn't resolve it for you. I understand completely about that feeling. As you know from the dozens of posts that it almost sent me to the nut house. Before you invest in a different universal let me upload a short video clip with the sound to YouTube so you can compare it to what you're experiencing. I'll let you know once I figure out how to get it up there. Meanwhile enjoy your grandsons

Update: The video of my VTX vibration. Standard laptop speakers don't do it justice. You need external speakers to really "appreciate" the sound... Sorry for the sideways image

Regards,
Pete
Gaithersburg, MD

Last edited by PoggiPJ; 04-29-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Added video link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 PM

Pete,

No need to feel bad at all, I have really good shocks now!

The noise in the video that you posted is more severe and of a different pitch than what I have experienced. In the video, it seemed that your noise sounded more like vibrating metal pieces. My noise is a lower frequency and not as loud. The duration seems about right though.

Thanks for the help, it's been an interesting journey.... I'm starting to have dreams about Harley's!
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:50 AM

Listening to the video... I agree! Sounds like metal on metal.

I had a meanstreak that created same noise and drove me nuts.

It was in the headlight and I stuffed everything but the kitchen sink in there to quieten it down.

My last bike was a victory vegas. Same problem but this time the PO had installed aftermarket LED tail/brake lights. I eventually put some two-way tape between the plastic part and the metal fender. This worked.

No one knows our bikes like we do and when we have a irritating noise, we can't really enjoy the ride until we get it fixed.

I hear the pipes, the engine, the shaft drive, but no continuous irritating noises yet.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:20 PM

I just changed my timing on the rear cylinder and it got smoother at 60 to 80 indicated

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 gave to a friend.
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
Yamaha tenere adv hot ride.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Same vibration

I have the same Vibration I think.
I found it shows up from 25 to 30 MPH. It does it when engine is off coasting down to and past 30 MPH. Feels like something in the driveshaft but sounds more forward of that. I am about to take it in somewhere to have it looked at. It came on mild and is now louder. Doesn't seem to hinder performance. It was hard to pinpoint but now that I know it is between 25 and 30 MPH I can reproduce it every time. I have never taken off the drive shaft so I might look up on youtube to see if its something I want to try and tackle.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Does it happen when the engine is off coasting down past 30 MPH to 25? I a having same issue. I feel like its drive shaft issue.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Joseph Kunder, did you find out what the vibration was on your Bike? I have the same noise even after new shocks.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Garage
Metzler me888 rear tire creates a weird harmonic on de-cel between 30 to 27 mph that seems to cause shock
Covers to vibrate.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Oh Wizza you are bad!!! I loved it!

[/SIGPIC]
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:48 PM
IHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Metzler me888 rear tire creates a weird harmonic on de-cel between 30 to 27 mph that seems to cause shock
Covers to vibrate.
This is exactly my experience. EXACTLY. 04 1300 C. I changed nothing other than switching to the Metzler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page