Fuel problems? - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cntryboy85

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Fuel problems?

I put my 04 1300 up for most of the winter, rode a few times through the winter. Before it got cold it was running great, now I am having some issues out of it. It is having issues running when it's cold. Start to spi, sputter and cough. Now today it started to have a continuous popping and backfire until it got warm. I was thinking it might have some water in the tank because after running a tank of ethanol free fuel and some sea foam it ran great up until about 60 miles then went back to acting up again. So now I am lost. I have replaced the plugs and cleaned the air filter. Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:22 PM

There are evidently 2 fuel strainers on the 1300. One inside the tank, and one inside the fuel line to the carb. I would start by checking that both of those are completely clear. A carb clean never hurts, if you have the time. Just my 2 cents...hope it helps.

Last edited by heybjb; 03-19-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added last statement.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 AM

I had some similar problems on my 07r 1300 a few years ago. The diaphragm in the fuel petcock needed replaceing. Got the kit off eBay .honda part number 16953-KEA-023 .You can apply a vacume to the small line on it and fuel should flow out of the petcock . If it doesn't you need the kit .Also if the air fuel adjustment is set to lean she will pop some. Another thing to consider is have the valves ever been adjusted. Of course a gummed up carb will cause problems but I'd check fuel flow first. Filer in tank is large ,filter in carb inlet is tiny. There were some problems with wires breaking on ecm on top of battery and some have had battery cables loosen causing cut out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 AM

After thinking it over, the air fuel mixture is probably to lean. They come set super lean . There is a screw on carb that adjusts it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineoops View Post
I had some similar problems on my 07r 1300 a few years ago. The diaphragm in the fuel petcock needed replaceing. Got the kit off eBay .honda part number 16953-KEA-023 .You can apply a vacume to the small line on it and fuel should flow out of the petcock . If it doesn't you need the kit .Also if the air fuel adjustment is set to lean she will pop some. Another thing to consider is have the valves ever been adjusted. Of course a gummed up carb will cause problems but I'd check fuel flow first. Filer in tank is large ,filter in carb inlet is tiny. There were some problems with wires breaking on ecm on top of battery and some have had battery cables loosen causing cut out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineoops View Post
After thinking it over, the air fuel mixture is probably to lean. They come set super lean . There is a screw on carb that adjusts it.
I am thinking the carb might be a little gunned up, because after riding for a bit and getting it hot it rides just fine until it cools back down again. I put new plugs in about 200 miles ago. I am going to pull them this week to see what they look like.
That should give me a good indication of lean or rich. Also probably going to pull the jets to give them a good cleaning and also see if the bike has ever been jetted. It has a open air filter and straight pipes. I bought it that was so old if the guy before me ever did anything else. If it isn't better I am probably going to buy a stage 2 or 3 jet kit for it, seeing as soon I would like to put a hyper charger on it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

So I got the car apart. It looks really clean. But going to get a rebuild kit amd jet kit tomorrow. It appears to have the factory jets in it. With straight pipes and a aftermarket air filter that might be an issue.
frnkcat likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page