Idle issue - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Idle issue

Having an issue with my 2006 VTX1300S. It is idling fine but when I go from 2nd to 3rd bike sputters like it wants to turn off. I hold the clutch in to rev it to keep it from stopping. Any suggestions or reasons why it’s doing that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 AM

Accelerator pump?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Garage
Is the sputtering ONLY between 2nd & 3rd,,, or is it occurring every time you shift gears?

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 AM

Cool

Welcome from Daytona Beach, enjoy and ride safely.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:11 AM

Garage
Take a look at the slide diaphragm - they start having splits where it has a crease.
I had large splits on my OE diaphragm (at the last day top end was 55 mph)and a several small ones on the first replacement.
After I put the 2nd replacement it seemed to pull much harder.
Inspect vacuum hoses--they crack/split on the ID.
There is a rev limiter at 5700 RPMs, are you hitting that or do you shift at low RPMs?

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM

Garage
Could it possibly be a defective kickstand switch??? If it idles fine while sitting, but dies when it is shifted from one gear to another, there might be something shorting out in the switch during the shifting??
Just a thought.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:58 PM

I don't know if this is your issue or not, but I'll share anyway. I have a 2007 1300S,(65K miles) same symptoms. At first I thought it was bad gas, drained the carb bowl, emptied the tank, put in fresh gas, no change.
I took the bike to a trusted bike shop near me house. After several hours of trial and error, checking everything from fuel, electrical, ECM, He decided to run the engine, and spray starter fluid through the exposed carb intake while attempting to rev up the engine. The engine did accelerate without issue. The tech took carburetor apart and found the plastic slide inside the carb had disintegrated. That was the good news, problem found.

Now the bad. With the bike 11 years out of production, along with Honda's infinite wisdom of creating this carb only for the 1300. So I'm out of service for at least 2 weeks. Only 1 dealership in the USA has this 100 dollar part. And if they won't part with it, Ordering from Japan is the only available option.

So good Luck, I hope you don't have the same issue/outcome as I'm living through right now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmking View Post
He decided to run the engine, and spray starter fluid through the exposed carb intake while attempting to rev up the engine. The engine did accelerate without issue. The tech took carburetor apart and found the plastic slide inside the carb had disintegrated. That was the good news, problem found.

Now the bad. With the bike 11 years out of production, along with Honda's infinite wisdom of creating this carb only for the 1300. So I'm out of service for at least 2 weeks. Only 1 dealership in the USA has this 100 dollar part. And if they won't part with it, Ordering from Japan is the only available option.
Starter fluid will quickly, fast and in a hurry wash your cylinder walls of oil. Really good for the rings. Second I have found partszilla to be really good for parts....so far. I got my slide in 4 days.

With the people left unguided, For so many troubled years
In a cloud of doubts and fears, Their world was torn asunder into hollow Hemispheres......Neal Peart
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 PM

Garage
Slide is Moly coated aluminum piston with rubber diaphragm

I bought a $25 diaphragm and put it on the slide.

About $65 for OEM slide at Partzilla.
heffly likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 09-07-2018 at 07:38 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:12 AM

Check your lines on the left side should be the air line if I remember correctly I was having problems and my line was cracked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page