Tires - Page 2 - VTXOA
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:07 PM

i got the 777 whiteys they look great and get a lot of comments on them. ive run them in temps from the high 30's buuurrrrr and in the 100s and handle fine. run them in the rain and only reason i had probs was cause i was a scared little bitch they never lost even a bit of traction. also let my buddy on a sport bike take point and ground my floor boards a couple time but never felt i was going to loose control. they are new this year and i sadly have only got about 2k on them prego wife wont let me take long rides which is understandable she is due 10/2. hear is a pick if you want to se what white and vtx purple look like.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineoops View Post
With car tires I never saved any money buying a cheaper tire . I thought about motorcycle tires same way. If you drive 1000 miles a year a cheaper tire might make sense. If you drive the 7-8k a year like I do, just doesn't make sense to get a cheaper tire that wears out at 7k ,Metzeler and Michelin goes alot further than that.
I definitely put about 7-8k on my bike per year. I will take a look at the Metzeler tires as well.

06 VTX1300R Black Betty
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM

I have a Metzeler on my rear, a member on another site with a VTX suggested to me that there is a hum that the tire produces. Dang it, I hear it......
frnkcat likes this.

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richon2Wheels View Post
I definitely put about 7-8k on my bike per year. I will take a look at the Metzeler tires as well.
Meh! I'd advise against Metzeler if you're looking for mileage as well. I've run two sets of Metzelers and never saw decent mileage out of the rear tire. I'm running Dunlop Elite 3 and 4 (VERY different tires from the stock Dunlop tires) on my bike this time and the traction/grip is just as good, if not better than the Metzeler. On the bonus side, it's wearing MUCH better than the Metzelers
07Blackcherry likes this.

2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3 - Mustang Seats, Cobra Angled Slashcuts, House of Kolor Blueberry Pearl paint and custom tank badge, lots of chrome, lots of sanding and polishing on the aluminum!
other stuff - HID headlight, airbox decapped plus K&N, ground fix, PAIR/desmog, tail light area minimalized, horn relocation, fwd controls extension, switch spiders removed, reflectors removed, Barnett clutch kit, Cobra FI2000R

Last edited by nate6966; 09-24-2018 at 02:49 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM

Garage
Well I have to weigh in with my two cents. I replaced my rear tire with a Shinko 777, May of this year. I have put approximately 6k on this tire, majority of the miles are at 75 to 80 mph. I put about 360 miles a week on this bike. The tires on the bike when I bought it August 2017 were dunlops. Mileage on the bike was 8,400. Started noticing the shimmy in the front end at 30 to 40 mph. checked the tire pressure... a bit low 36psi. I started running 38 to 40psi the shimmy went away. When the shimmy came back I made sure the tire pressure was 38 to 40psi. The shimmy stayed. Approximately 10 to 11k miles on the bike. After replacing the rear tire with Shinko 777, the shimmy went away.
All that said, I will put Shinko 777's on both front and back next time. With Run-On Just a heads up, The rear tire is holding up very well after 6k plus miles. I am a single rider... not 2up. Hope it helps.
Richon2Wheels likes this.

08 VTX1800F Cobra pipes, PC III, ROX 2"risers

"I have never been lost. I was once bewildered for three days, but I was never lost." Daniel Boone
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate6966 View Post
Meh! I'd advise against Metzeler if you're looking for mileage as well. I've run two sets of Metzelers and never saw decent mileage out of the rear tire. I'm running Dunlop Elite 3 and 4 (VERY different tires from the stock Dunlop tires) on my bike this time and the traction/grip is just as good, if not better than the Metzeler. On the bonus side, it's wearing MUCH better than the Metzelers
I echo that Metzlers, for me , do not give great mileage.....but again, 300lb rider, MOSTLY stop/go/commuting with some nice rides thrown in.....heavy throttle hand......fiberglass trunk and bags.......

I just put on a ME888 on the rear and hoping for better mileage. So far great traction and ride....

I tried the Dunlop elite years ago on another bike and it didnt net me any better mileage than the Avon or Metzlers......so I have already gravitated back to Metzler just because I like the ride/traction the best.

Of course I also only get about 30 mpg around town when many claim 40+.....so.......it must be the riding environment and rider/rider habits....

I tried the Shinkos a ways back when they were first out.....had major out-of-round issues, even had the factory rep involved......tried three different tires and all were visibly out of round on the balancer. Giot a refund and went with another brand the shop had.....those wore out quick and I went back to metzler.....

Have considered the Shinkos again, but after that first experience, i just cant bring myself to try again.

2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
RIP: 2005 1300R (Ol' Silver)
Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
AKA -- "Do Unto Others"
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:13 PM
RBS

I ran Metz on my 1300. No bags, no windshield, I weighed @250.
Consistently got 18-20K on a set.

Put them on my Star 1300 Tourer (712lbs wet), plus the weight of the "Goodies",
Driving lights, engine guards, bag protectors plus trim rails.

I now have 8K on the set. Front looks new, rear just starting to show wear.

Also, I'd imagine the condition of the roads we ride could affect tire wear.
Harkon likes this.

'07 1300 S XTreme Revolution Intake, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles. 128,788 Miles R.I.P.

'05 1300 S. BAK Slimline, Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns, Monster Baffles, Ultimate Big Boy, Saddlemen Drifter Bags. 6,700 Miles. Sold.

(New) 2014 V-Star 1300 Tourer, Lindby Hi-Way Bar, Saddle Bag Protectors, Cobra Slip-On, Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra PowerFlo Intake. Wolo Bad Boy,
ED Seat, Yamaha Light Bar.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 AM

The Metz 888 is better than the 880 was. For the Metz, though, if you choose to mount a 200, it will be worn out in no time. Looks great, but doesn't last. I have a Metz 888 on the Harley and I am happy with it. I have about 12,000 miles (20,000km) on the rear and it still looks great. 1000lb bike with 300lb rider and often 2-up, I am happy with the wear.
RBS likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Garage
Tires

Last couple of seasons I had a set of Metz. 880's on my 04 VTX1300S. I did get some very nice mileage out of that set of tires, but the only real complaint I had was in wet weather. They would slide a bit more than I was comfortable with so when it came time for a new set, I went back to the stock Dunlops - I know, I know, you don't get near the mileage out of these but they do stick to the road. I live in N.E. Ohio where we are treated to everything mother nature can throw at us.

My main thought here is i'm getting a bit older and don't travil as long a distance as I use to. With these Dunlops I only have 4,600+ miles this season and they work as well as I remember. I have driven in cold (22 degrees), rain coming sideways on I77 through WV., Went around Lake Erie and other local rides. They are holding up very well and will do me for the rest of this season and perhaps next... we'll see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page