Marvels Miracle Oil? - Page 3 - VTXOA
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Rory View Post
You do know that most all of your fuel additives and fuel system cleaners are nothing more than transmission fluid repackaged and with the price per ounce jacked way up.
Also the can it's packaged in looks so cool, so it appeals to people when they see it on the shelf so people think this stuff is special. Amazing how long this has been around, most snake oils die off after the public catches on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:33 PM

This guy has a great channel in my opinion and does some serious testing. He seems pretty legit. Here's a comparison between seafoam, techron and MMO in case you guys are interested.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM

Found a really good use for Marvel Mystery Oil. Friend bought a bike that had been sitting up for several years. Had fuel pump replaced. Injectors cleaned and clutch replaced because of week spring. Mechanic told him if he got past 1000 miles with no problems he would be in the clear for future problems. At about 900 miles we went on an overnight trip. Early the next morning before we left I took a plug out of his bike and used a syringe to put some marvel mystery oil in plug hole and then put plug back in. The look on is face when he cranked the bike and saw the smoke was priceless. I am sure the payback I will get will not be a funny but that is ok too.
dud-57, frnkcat and DrDolittle like this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 AM

Garage
3,000 mile oil changes
winter air, summer air
blinker fluid
chrome muffler bearings.
Marvel Mystery Oil
STP
Arco Graphite motor oil,,, ( thousands of valve guides were destroyed with this one )

and the 1957 Chevy V8 Recall..... poring Borax down the carburetor... to get the piston rings to seat.

lets not forget "MOUSE MILK".... oil additive.

the little tablets you put into your gas tank for better gas mileage
or the clamp on magnet onto gas line for better gas mileage

Restore Engine.... really... them additives melt below the temperature of gasoline... so the restored seal is very temporary

remember wood saw dust.. will fix automatic transmissions... for 100 miles...

when will the public.. EVER LEARN...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muffler Bearing.jpg (54.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Standard-Metric Wrench.jpg (35.2 KB, 5 views)
Harkon likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 04-22-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
winter air, summer air

when will the public.. EVER LEARN...
A few months ago, had a 20ish guy from Alaska come to town on a road trip riding a Vulcan or a Boulevard. He spent a few nights camping near an Ice House I frequent. We got to talking over a beer and scheduled a ride the next day to the Three Sisters. During the ride, once we got into the twisties, he pulled over because his front end felt squirrely...I almost had him convinced it was the COLD Alaska air in his tires giving him trouble!
chuck_VTX F, Harkon and DrDolittle like this.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!
Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

2002 1800 "S"
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:30 PM

I had a engine rebuild machine shop for 35 years , I can see where older design motors could benefit from some lube in the gas . but the Honda car and bikes run a long long time without wearing out the valve guide so I can't see using marvel oil in modern engines . if you want the best , use synthetic oil and shell ,chevron gas when you can. That gas has detergents in it to keep things clean .our local cheapest gas leaves huge deposits on intake valves. shell, chevron gas , valves look like new. I started in engine rebuild shop at 14 , worked with ww2 vets starting out. I've seen them put 1 quart of atf in crankcase during oil change along with new oil because of the detergents .sludge was real problem in those days .they did many other controversial things . we today have the best longest lasting gas engines in history. and the best oil in our history , take advantage of it !
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:03 PM

Not trying to hijack or start any big discussion by i have a question some of you great minds maybe can answer. I was told a long time ago that quaker state,pennzoil,and valvoline all were refined from pennslvania crude . different crude oil than most other conventional oil. Is that statement true?either way I've never been a fan of quaker state, don't know about the others.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not trying to hijack or start any big discussion by i have a question some of you great minds maybe can answer. I was told a long time ago that quaker state,pennzoil,and valvoline all were refined from pennslvania crude . different crude oil than most other conventional oil. Is that statement true?either way I've never been a fan of quaker state, don't know about the others.
Pennsylvania crude is sweet crude. That is it has less than 0.5% Sulfur. Sulfur combustion byproducts (sulfur dioxide) when combined with moisture is sulfuric avid. In an engine that is bad.

West Texas crude is a light sweet crude that is the benchmark for oil pricing. Sweet crude requires less refining in order to reach suitability for use.

These days what ends up in the bottle has little to do with the crude it came from. At one point Pennzoil may have been better because of the crude it came from, and I remember being told exactly that back in the day, but now good oil can come from any crude, or not at all. Pennzoil is now making oil from natural gas. Some of the best synthetics are esters based and do not come from crude petroleum at all.

That said, Pennsylvania natives will want to tell you it makes all of the difference in the world, but truthfully it does not in today's world.
cokerb likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM

My younger brother worked for valvoline in ashland ky plant till he retired . he told me Pennsylvania oil wells ran out back in the early 90's . I think quaker state and Pennzoil use to have "genuine Pennsylvania crude" on the bottle but don't any more . Ashland oil (valvoline)bought crude from different sources over the years . valvoline has a great products web sight . I've used their synthetic trans fluid to fix shifting problems on several cars , and it can be used in all most every car/truck! . sorry to get off track , valvoline synthetics are awsome !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page