• 4 Post By TeepS
  • 3 Post By chuck_VTX F
  • 1 Post By Dartanuan
  • 5 Post By henkvdb
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-22-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Old Goat

Wear a Helmet

Prayers for the family....Ive had them fly up out of a ditch...but no close calls...when I can see them...I slow down or come to a stop and I get on the horn...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 08F2E58B-EB48-4E91-877F-420DF44CF9D9.jpeg (436.4 KB, 20 views)

Phil...(71)”Nobody told me I die at the end”

2006 (bought new)...1300R Candy Black Cherry,darkside,foots mod.. ..

Last edited by TennX; 04-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM

A tragic story; and good advice to wear a helmet.
But, hitting a vulture at highway speed, helmet or not, probably would have resulted in the same outcome.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Garage
I had a bird a little larger then a robin... north west Texas.

it ripped off my left fairing mirror... and its beak went thru my leather coat and cause me to bleed at my shoulder....

different time.

had a rock go thru my leather boot... stopped and inspected..

headed to ER to have rock removed from my leg.. it went deep. about 3 inches up from ankle...

Danger is everywhere....

I am NOT going to ride around in a TANK...
I do wear a helmet... every time...
RBS, Harkon and DrDolittle like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM

Garage
R.I.P. to both Husbands.

They report fails to mention how the second Husband died. It might not have been from a lack of a helmet.

But I do agree whole-heartedly. Wear a helmet.
If you do not, I hope you checked the "organ donor" box on your driver's license. You know, for the greater good.

VTX 1800C
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-22-2019, 04:19 PM

Garage
I used to go without a helmet. But as I've gotten older, I've gotten wiser. (At least that's MY story).
So now I wear a helmet wherever I go,,,,, AND I've checking the "organ donor" box on my license as well.
Safe Riding.
RBS likes this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21", Kury Engine Bar & Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Ultimate Seats, Cobra Slash-Cuts, Progressive 430 Shocks & Springs, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Show Chrome Fringe, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-22-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_VTX View Post
R.I.P. to both Husbands.

They report fails to mention how the second Husband died. It might not have been from a lack of a helmet.

But I do agree whole-heartedly. Wear a helmet.
If you do not, I hope you checked the "organ donor" box on your driver's license. You know, for the greater good.

Even if you DO wear a helmet, still check the donor box.

Organ donation is very important. It saves lives.

This speech here below was made about 5 years ago by a donor recipient in New Zealand.
The donor was my nephew.

To a Donor Family

20 years ago a young man, just short of his 21st birthday, sat and watched a programme on telly with his family after dinner one night. It was a programme about organ donation. At the end of it he turned to his family and said “When I die they can have the lot, except my...” as we are in a church I’ll leave it up to you to decide for yourself which part of the body is most important to a young man approaching 21.
Just a few weeks later the young man’s family recalled that same conversation as he lay in a hospital bed pronounced brain dead from a sudden brain haemorrhage.
20 years ago I too was in a hospital bed, having received news that a suitable donor liver had been found and waiting to go into theatre to undergo the operation that would save my life. The medical team assembled had informed my mother and I that there was a chance I may not live through the operation and my mother was visibly upset. I was asked why I was so calm about the situation. “Well, if I die on the operating table, I’m hardly going to know about it am I?” was my reply. The thing was, I had been sick for nine years and had lived with the very real chance of not making it to my 20th birthday since I was ten. It didn’t bother me. No-one likes the thought of getting old and when you’re 18, 25 is old.
For the past nine years my life had been a constant road-trip of hospitals, doctors, tests and medication. I was tired. In the mornings when I woke I felt as though my body was so heavy it had made a hollow in the mattress that went right to the floor. Looking back on that night I was calm because a part of me was ready to die. I was exhausted.
Well, I don’t want to ruin the ending for you, but obviously, I didn’t die that night. After the transplant the doctors gave me ten years. That’s how long they thought they could keep my disease at bay for before it would grow immune to the drug therapy. I didn’t think that was too bad. After all, it was 10 years more than the six months I had left without the transplant. I didn’t die after 10 years either. Obviously.
I have now lived an extra 20 years. Double the lifespan I was given. In that 20 years I have gotten married, I have had a son (now 13), I have backpacked around Europe for two weeks by myself, I have been to America, I have been to Australia, I have jumped out of a plane, I have jumped on a fertiliser bin on a train and travelled to Palmerston North, illegally (I’m pretty sure enough time has passed that I can’t be charged for that now), I have laughed, I have loved, I have cried. I have lived. Because one young man said one thing on one day, I have lived.
In our small town of Dannevirke there have been a couple of large Lotto wins in the past couple of years. I think one of the sums was something like $14 million. This morning I heard someone up north won close to $10 million in last night’s draw. To my husband’s dismay I’m sure, I would not swap places with any of those people ever. There is not enough money in the world that could buy what I have now. That young man and his family gave me the Gift of Life. They didn’t give me the Gift of Existence. They gave me the Gift of Life. With each year that goes by I grow more and more grateful just to be here. I have become one of those annoying hippy people that says things like “wow look at the colours of those leaves!” No-one could ever buy what I have been given.
Not a whole heap of people would have swapped lives with me once upon a time. In and out of hospital, constant tests, medications with all the side effects they brought, not knowing how long I would live. A few weeks ago I attended a high-school reunion and as my old school friends and I got ready to go to the event our discussions turned to how we would answer the obligatory questions of “What do you do?” “Are you married?” “Do you have any kids?” and one of my friends said “I’m going to say I have Annette’s life!” That says it all really. I have started my own business and am nine weeks away from completing a Masters degree at University. I have an amazing life. I have lived.
On behalf of transplant recipients, please know that we are each eternally indebted and forever grateful to our donors and their families for the gifts we have been given. There is not a day goes by that we don’t understand how very lucky we are to be here and you and your loved ones are never far from our thoughts.
Because one person said one thing on one day, we have lived.
Thank you.
A Recipient.

2003 1800s, 88k miles
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 06:39 AM

Cool

What I heard both were wearing helmets.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 03:31 PM

We had a vulture go through the windshield of our dodge Durango at the fire department last year. I've hit one with the ambulance between the windshield and lightbar. Did a decent amount of damage. I've had to duck a couple on the bike, but none have struck me yet. They are all over and are big birds. I never ride without my helmet. Condolences to the family.

2007 VTX1300C
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 02:08 AM

We have had a compulsory helmet law in the UK since 1973. I agree with Helmet wearing. (Let's get that out of the way) I also believe in personal responsibility and individual freedom. ergo helmet wearing should be a choice. It is hard to argue about safety. It is hard to argue about a law that does actually save lives. I think as a society (in the UK.....perhaps the USA too) we have become very risk averse, we expect to be wrapped in cotton wool, free from any and all harm. We tend to expect the Government to save us from everything. As I said at the start of this we have had a Helmet law since 1973. I still believe that wearing a helmet should be a choice and not a necessity. It is deeply sad when we lose a fellow rider but to wear gear or not has to be a choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in