Fouling plugs in minutes - Page 2 - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

Does the Hypercharger butterfly open at all? If not then that would definitely choke out the bike. If they do open, then a logical approach tells us that, if there were a vacuum leak somewhere, the bike would actually run lean, not rich. So it's likely not a vacuum leak. I have no frame of reference to which vacuum line you are using for the hypercharger, but are you certain it's the appropriate line? I am not overlay familiar with the 1300's carb so am not sure if there is a vacuum line, or any line for that matter, that without it, the carb would dump fuel.

Many have disconnected the Hypercharger butterflies as having caused more problems than they are worth, but have never heard of your problem specifically. When I first saw the Hypercharger I thought they were race inspired and kind of flashy. The earlier units were particularly poor performers, performing worse than the stock airbox in most cares. The later ones are much better, but now, to me, they are not to my taste at all.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

Last edited by Harkon; Yesterday at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoyle View Post
Ok, so the carb is pristine now and the bike idels perfect, BUT the moment I hook up the hypercharger butterflies vacuum line, it dies and fouls the plugs.
Don't connect the vacuum hose until you find the problem.

Probably has a diaphragm to operate the butterflies..
Take it apart and look at it.

Hypercharger is "Bling" only according to people that know more than I do.

Give a text description of the vacuum connections beginning at the intake manifold source..

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; Yesterday at 09:45 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

My last post was.

Line runs from manifold to shut off,
A T to Pair valve
A T to carb.

I placed another T right behind the carb line for the charger
If I leave it open just sucking air it runs great. As soon as I plug it, the bike dies

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Hereís the deal tho. If I eliminate the line to the butterflies, itís the same as hooking it up (meaning plugged). Once I do that, the the bike dies. If I leave it unplugged from the butterflies and just sucking open air, it runs great and no fouling. My idle is set about half way and the A/F screw is 1.75 turns out.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 05:15 PM

Garage
Confusing... Not in a flow that shows connectivity..

Manifold
source ----------tee-------------tee--Petcock
.........................I......................I
.......................carb.................Plug

Does it run????

If it RUNS remove plug and place the HC vacuum hose on it.....

https://screenshots.firefox.com/VGnS.../www.vtxoa.com
I saved screenshot.... Text editor did not save spaces...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2019-05-14 Fouling plugs in minutes - VTXOA.png (4.2 KB, 2 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; Today at 05:28 PM. Reason: Screen shot of the text msg,, used dots for spaces
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 06:56 PM

When you connect the vac line do the butterflies move on the hc? If not how are you getting air? Can you open the butterflies manually or with a vacuum pump and then test again plugging your vac lines etc....
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 07:01 PM

Also is the air filter clean? An excessively dirty or (over oiled) filter can choke out your airflow as well. Sometimes the simple things are overlooked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page