seat recomendations - Page 2 - VTXOA
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 AM

I did 3 things to improve comfort for long rides First thing ultimate Seat with back rest on front and rear. Ended back pain. Next forward controls I'm 6' 1 my knees thanked me. Finally 3 inch risers and cushioned grips. Thicker grips and raising hands ended numb hands. My son has the mustang its comfortable but he agrees not as comfortable as the Ultimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Garage
I've had both, the Mustang wide touring with passenger pillion on the 1300R and the Ultimate Big Boy solo (no passenger pillion) and the backrest on the 1800S, and found them equally comfortable. The 9" of back support on the Mustang, with the passenger pillion was as good as the Ultimate with the add-on backrest. I'm 6'3" 240lb and need lower back support.

At the risk of being the only person to say something negative about the Ultimate seat...I've sent mine back for base pan replacement because it cracked and the backrest has moved backwards. Luckily Ultimate warranties the base pan for life. Still surprised it broke.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!
Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

2002 1800 "S"
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:53 PM

I have a Mustang wide 2 piece touring seat for sale if you're interested it's hardly been used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190611_100618.jpg (257.1 KB, 2 views)

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
At the risk of being the only person to say something negative about the Ultimate seat...I've sent mine back for base pan replacement because it cracked and the backrest has moved backwards. Luckily Ultimate warranties the base pan for life. Still surprised it broke.
The important thing is they stood behind their product.

If they had used fiberglass instead of plastic for the pan, when I was drilling the brackets for the seat pin mod I wouldn’t have damaged it. The plastic melted and allowed the brackets to spin. This was my fault, and I did pay to have them replace the pan, and predrill the brackets before they sent it back to me. But I bet plastic is cheaper and easier to mass produce.

While speaking to them, they told me they purposely designed the seats so in order to remove the brackets you have to remove the pan. I get it, but wish they allowed for bracket removal from the outside.

I am very happy with my seat. Once I got it back, now I can use pins to remove it, I am all set.

So a note to those with R/S/T models, when you order the seat, you can have them predrill the brackets to 3/8” for the seat pin mod. Or better yet, use pins that fit without drilling (I already drilled my frame, so I needed to match the hole).

2009 VTX1300R
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Corbin - Dual Touring with backrest. Love mine. http://www.corbin.com/honda/vtxr13dt.shtml
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Mustang seat. I posted before that the stock seat has a definite inside radius so no matter how you position your butt you slide right back into the same position. The Mustang (my first mod) has an inside corner and you can work your butt to the tangents or nestle it right in tight.

My question: how do I post items for sale? Three dumps have left me with brand new right hand parts when I only needed left hand repairs.
Capt. Kurt likes this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPT View Post
The important thing is they stood behind their product.
JPT, you are correct, but I was surprised the seat had problems after only 3 years and 30,000 miles.

I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver-black PHANTOM bike!
Meatloaf~Bat Out Of Hell

2002 1800 "S"
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM
JPT

Garage
Quote:
JPT, you are correct, but I was surprised the seat had problems after only 3 years and 30,000 miles.
True. It was an added hassle that for as expensive as the product is, shouldn't have to happen.

My 2 experiences with Corbin seats (I had one on my ZX12r and I have the dual tour for my X) with fiberglass pans are, they are VERY strong, but have firmament issues. Both (for both bikes) didn't fit perfectly in the front channel by the tank. Both had to have duct tape wrapped around the tongue for a tight fit.

As much as I love Corbin, it seems there tongue issues is across several bikes. I'm surprised they haven't developed a rubber tongue "condom" (sleeve) that slides over to create a tight fit. They also stand behind their product, but this is clearly a design flaw...

My ultimate seat has a perfect tight fit in that slot... With as much as I have seats off, I get annoyed every time I reassemble when the tongue doesn't fit right.
SeaSteve likes this.

2009 VTX1300R
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Having owned different modded seats on several bikes (plus several padded cushions and a touring Airhawk), I will only say this: if you value comfort over looks, the thicker the better. Actual material in the seat comes at a distant second but the thickness of the seat is imperative for comfort. For this, you'd want something like the super thick Ultimate seat (Big Boy?) which is butt ugly but extremely comfortable.

I've found that gel as part of the material of a seat along with different foam materials helps quite a bit, although gel alone isn't of much help (e.g. those gel pads that go on top of the actual seat, waste of money). Check out Saddlemen as they do this configuration in their touring seats (gel + diff. foams).

I've ridden cruisers with those sleek looking thin seats and they're torture machines for anything over 15 mins of cruising down town. But they're gel seats, they said; yeah, but gel on its own hardens up after a while as you compress it going over bumps, then you might as well ride bareback on the fender.

One more thing: avoid leather for the seat outer. Not only does leather require a lot of maintenance but it'll eventually let water into the seat which will then ruin the foam and thus the seat's comfort.

Hope this all is of use to you!

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Did Ultimate use plastic for the seat's pan as another poster seemed to mention?

Far as I'm concerned it's either metal or fiberglass. It'd surprise me they'd use plastic for their seats' pans given how expensive the seat is. Seat pans take a lot of beating and last thing you'd want there is plastic.

I've had great experience with seats using fiberglass pans.

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page