Dented Cable in front of Front Cylinder/Behind Radiator? What the... - VTXOA
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet
  • 1 Post By Hans&Feet
  • 1 Post By EuroDude

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Dented Cable in front of Front Cylinder/Behind Radiator? What the...

I noticed a cable in front of the front cylinder is dented. The denting on the cable fits exactly into the shape of the cylinder's fin when I push the dented cable into the cylinder fin.

Please see the pic for the dent on the cable. The cable is about 1/8 of an inch away from the fin, enough for the cable to not be pressed against the fin. The cable is also situated right behind the radiator. I know what the other cables behind the radiator are for, but I'm not entirely sure what this cable is for.

What would have caused this dent (e.g. cylinder heat?) and, most importantly, should I worry about this and try to cover the cable with some heatproof material? The cable doesn't seem to be the type carrying any fluid.

Opinions? (and what the heck is that cable for?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dented cable.jpg (100.8 KB, 27 views)

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Garage
I believe that is the brake line to the rear caliper.
EuroDude likes this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
I believe that is the brake line to the rear caliper.
The cable seems to be fixed in place, so I cannot move it further away from the cylinder fin.

The denting looks more to have been created from the fin's heat rather than mechanical friction (i.e. cable being pushed against fin).

Should I wrap up the dented area with some heatproof material? Maybe some silicone? Or should I leave it alone?

Surprisingly I can't find any more instances of this issue in the forum.

Edit: There seems to be a small enough amount of slack in the cable to zip tie to another cable further up so that the dented cable is moved a bit further away from the fin.

Just hoping the zip tie won't melt from cylinder heat.

Last edited by EuroDude; 06-15-2019 at 08:04 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
Rear Master Brake cylinder to flex hose>Block>steel tubing then plastic sleeve on the tubing.
Mine is a good distance from the cyl head. One inch or more clearance.

On the other hand...

You should have used an arrow to indicate what one you were interested in.
I looked back at your pic and the sleeve has the wires to the brake switch in there.
I was mobile yesterday and did not see a dent/ding in the sleeve.

3 items in the pictures are: brake tubing, Brake light switch wires(2), oil pressure switch wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1300c mstr cyl to RR caliper tube20190615.jpg (213.2 KB, 21 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 192,235 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 06-15-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: I see the light...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

So the dented line is a sleeve tube/hose housing the brake switch wires, is that correct? At least not a fluid-carrying hose then.

Yours is well far away from the cylinder and routed so as to brace the radiator lines. Mine is just hanging down with no slack and then routes right like yours. How in the heck is this dented sleeve hose routed like that in my case since I've never touched it? Must have been the dealer.

Should I just try to zip tie it further up the line so it moves away from the cylinder fin? There isn't much slack to re-route the sleeve hose to the side, much less have it re-routed like yours. Which leads me to wonder why the heck the line was left like that.

Also, shall I attempt to layer the dent with some heatproof silicone layers or heat-shrink tubing? Or just leave it alone since it's just housing brake-switch wires inside (I take it the wires are also cabled and not exposed)?

Tsukayu VTX hard bags & Tour trunk, Saddlemen touring seat with backrest, NC custom windshield, Risers, LED lightbar, Engine guard LED lights, Cobra fatty guard, Rear engine guards, Fender rail guard, Leather tank bib, Passenger floorboards, 12v socket, ISO grips WITH bar weights, Engine chrome, Triple tree cover, Shaft cover, Fenders chrome, Progressive forks & 12.5 inch shocks, All Balls mod, Chrome clock, Adjustable trunk rack
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:55 PM

Garage
You can do whatever you want!

So I went and looked around the brake switch because mine is just a hair from turning on the brake light.
So I prodded around and saw the cable and sleeve was horizontal at the brake hose/tubing block junction.
I took a peek around the radiator side, two clips to hold brake wires in place.
Brake switch has at least 24 inches long wires to get to a connector near the main cable harness at the steering stem.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...254aea024015fe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1300 RR brake sw wire path frt.jpg (256.5 KB, 8 views)
EuroDude likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Will check the clips later.

Zip tied the sleeve to the rear brake line and problem solved.

Am I right thinking the wires inside the sleeves are cabled/hosed too, correct? As in, the wires inside the sleeve aren't exposed? The dent isn't big enough to expose the cables inside, so can't check what the wires are like inside. Common sense would dictate the wires are cabled/hosed indeed, but might as well go ahead and ask this question.

I'll probably be adding some heatproof silicone to fill up the dent.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
No dent, just a depression on a soft vinyl that has a thin wall. As long as it is not on the exhaust it is ok. RELAX!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Had a chance to check the clips. Yep, they're there (two). Dealer must have forgotten to route the cables last time I had it in. Good thing I do now (most of) my bike's work.

Zip tied the sleeve. Checked rear brake lights working. Went for a ride to enjoy the great weather.
Hans&Feet likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page