New Member, need some advice - Page 5 - VTXOA
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 AM

I had a CRF450X and in that community pilot jets are rarely cleaned, only ever replaced. I am told that they rarely run right when you clean them. I personally never had an issue with mine so I don't know for certain, but the community says replace the jets. Perhaps the 1300 is the same. Jets are cheap anyway.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

I soaked the Carb for about 6 hours in Berrymans. Took it out, rinsed it in hot water very thoroughly, and even set up a small fixture to hold the carb in an old(but clean) pot of water on the stove (It wasn't boiling, but it was hot) just to submerged it and loosen up any other crap. The carb not looks really clean.

There was a piece of what looked like cloth that came out of one of the circuits. It could have been remnants a previous pointed Q-tip I used to try and clean, or it could have been something that was trapped in there when I got it, I don't really know. The carb is all back together, I've got the A/F screw at about 2 3/8 out from snug, I'll bolt it on after work today and see how she runs.

Here's to hoping she runs like a bat out of hell this time around.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
In your picture of the idle jet, you can see the holes for the emulsion tube part of the jet. HOWEVER are you SURE the hole in the center of the jet is open ?? I will bet that it is not open, and that is your problem !!! Use a small piece of wire, from a wire brush, to clean it out.

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Well, I wanted to update this thread, just in case someone else comes looking for help in the future.

She Runs! It's not perfect, there's a couple little quirks:
If I'm taking a sharp turn and leaning a lot to the left and I open the throttle quick(not a lot, but say quickly move it 1/8 or 1/4 turn) there is a noticable momentary bog or gasp where it's either not getting fuel or air for .25 seconds. Quick sputter and then it comes back to life. Like the carb sucks air, then gas. I don't know if that's actually what happens but it feels like that.

And the bike from a stop seems to be rich. When I let the clutch out and give it gas to go the engine does shudder a tiny bit, I think I'm going to try and adjust the A/F screw in 1/8 - 1/4 turn and see if this changes. I'll back the A/F back to 2 1/4 and see if there's a difference.

So in conclusion, there was some sort of debris, could have been the end of a Q-tip, could have been part of an old fuel filter, I don't know, but something was stuck in the carb after the pilot jet. It must have been pretty stuck in there because blowing both directions with compressed air and carb cleaner didn't release it, only after soaking in berrymans did it finally come out.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Hello all, I'm new here. I have a fuel question. Just bought a beautiful 2007 VTX 1300S with less than 6000 miles on it. Looks like a brand new bike. Bought it from a 75 year old gentleman. He said he only ran ethanol free gas in it and always used StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment. My question is do I need to continue that or can I just run Unleaded gas from Shell? There's so much discussion out there, I really don't have a clue what's best. Any help much appreciated!
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreewalt View Post
Hello all, I'm new here. I have a fuel question. Just bought a beautiful 2007 VTX 1300S with less than 6000 miles on it. Looks like a brand new bike. Bought it from a 75 year old gentleman. He said he only ran ethanol free gas in it and always used StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment. My question is do I need to continue that or can I just run Unleaded gas from Shell? There's so much discussion out there, I really don't have a clue what's best. Any help much appreciated!

Not knowing where you live, Iíll suggest this. I was running ethanol free (EF) 91 for a while, but found it runs better on 89 that could be 10% ethanol. I store my bike in the winter months and the last couple tanks will be 91 EF and Seafoam added. Iíll ride home from the gas station, shut her off and leave her until the spring.

Ethanol is only bad for when they sit for long periods.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members...4-img-1373.jpg

2006 Shadow Aero 750 (sold Oct 2018 )
2008 VTX1300T

post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:19 PM

Hello jfreewalt, welcome to the vtxoa,I also have a 2007 1300S. Mine has 68000 plus miles on it. Run lowest octane, you'll get as good or better fuel mileage and performance as running premium. As smurfy said don't let it sit for extended periods with ethanol. For that matter, don't let it sit for extended periods, period.
smurfy71 and Earl Riviere like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page